Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty rear discs -- experiences?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
khughes wrote:
Crap shoot nowadays. And not just for Vanagons.

And not just for drum brakes either. I have had to turn down far too many brand new rotors on my brake lathe. It's gotten to the point that any new rotors go on the brake lathe before they go on a car.

Indeed. When you order reman calipers and get excited when you see ATE on them, and think you have OEM calipers, that excitement will be dashed when you realize Cardone rebuilt them with pot metal silver cheese slide bolts.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
silver cheese slide bolts.

"silver cheese"? I have never heard that term before.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Abscate wrote:
silver cheese slide bolts.

"silver cheese"? I have never heard that term before.

Derogatory name for pot metal, which is basically everything left over thrown into the forge pot, and a cheesy cheap metal comes out for making stuff for the dollar store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Here are some photos of mine being installed last week in La Paz, Mexico. Installed fox shocks and GW zero lift springs at the same time. Unfortunately when we got to the drivers side we found that GW had sent us two pass side brackets. Still waiting for the correct bracket so we can finish the drivers side and test it out. Does look fantastic though and i'm so happy to be ditching drums. I know some people love them, but i just really find switching out pads on discs so much easier. I'll try to post some feedback when its back on the road.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1991 Syncro Triple Knob Westfalia "Miki" 2.2WBX
1992 Syncro Triple Knob Tintop "Schnitzel" 1.9AAZ
1990 Syncro Rear Locker Doka Subi 2.2
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Anyone confirm what rotor that is?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I'd bet its proprietary for GW.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I’m dating myself but has anyone considered Audi’s approach to combat wheel diameter vs rotor diameter with their UFO solution? Here’s a vid to get non-knowers about the design with a “pad slap”.
https://youtu.be/4g2s_xX3nmw

BK
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

livethevanlife wrote:
Here are some photos of mine being installed last week in La Paz, Mexico. Installed fox shocks and GW zero lift springs at the same time. Unfortunately when we got to the drivers side we found that GW had sent us two pass side brackets. Still waiting for the correct bracket so we can finish the drivers side and test it out. Does look fantastic though and i'm so happy to be ditching drums. I know some people love them, but i just really find switching out pads on discs so much easier. I'll try to post some feedback when its back on the road.

Looks good! Everything takes longer in Mexico, eh? Very Happy Wink

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
I’m dating myself but has anyone considered Audi’s approach to combat wheel diameter vs rotor diameter with their UFO solution? Here’s a vid to get non-knowers about the design with a “pad slap”.

BK

Well...nice unique appearence, but how do you reface the side of the disc that is inside the saucer? I like the way the pads snap in. I just can't see sitting on the board to approve it.
What's the big advantage?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I have an amazing shop helping me, it would be done already were I not sent the wrong bracket, not once, but twice.

jimf909 wrote:
livethevanlife wrote:

Looks good! Everything takes longer in Mexico, eh? Very Happy Wink

1991 Syncro Triple Knob Westfalia "Miki" 2.2WBX
1992 Syncro Triple Knob Tintop "Schnitzel" 1.9AAZ
1990 Syncro Rear Locker Doka Subi 2.2
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

The UFO brakes were apparently prone to warpage in stop-and-go traffic due to insufficient cooling. Notice that Audi hasn't used them in quite some time...
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
The UFO brakes were apparently prone to warpage in stop-and-go traffic due to insufficient cooling. Notice that Audi hasn't used them in quite some time...

And everyone that had a UFO rotor set up has swapped it out for a more modern design. Audi's UFO design has many inherent problems and added manufacturing costs.

But back to this thread, anyone looking into T4 brakes for their vanagon should also consider looking into these:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355247
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
1988M5 wrote:

BK

Well...nice unique appearence, but how do you reface the side of the disc that is inside the saucer? I like the way the pads snap in. I just can't see sitting on the board to approve it.
What's the big advantage?

The UFO was made back when 14” wheels were the norm. You see the rotor diameter can only go so big before you run out of room inside the wheel. The rotor size also has to account for the caliper straddling the outer edge. By eliminating the caliper in the way of maximizing the rotor diameter, you can go as big as possible before hitting the wheel. The caliper is moved to straddle the inner edge.
Get it? I know weird but clever idea.

BK
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Email just landed. Another "Oops" by GoWesty for this system.........

Greetings,

It has come to our attention that the pads that were shipped with your GoWesty rear disc brake kit were mistakenly shipped to GoWesty without anti-squeal pad retainers. These clips are being shipped to GoWesty and are due to arrive on 03/16. We will be sending these clips out to you as soon as we receive them in.

If you have not installed your brake kit yet, we recommend you wait until these clips arrive. If you have already installed your brake kit, there is no need for concern. The absence of these retainers DOES NOT pose ANY safety risk to your system. You may install them at your earliest convenience- the process takes only about 5 minutes per side after the wheel is removed. Installation of these clips does not require any disassembly of the brake system, or any intrusion into the brake fluid system (hoses). Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that this has caused.

Sincerely,

Mike Wiehl
Sales Manager
GoWesty Camper Products
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Email just landed. Another "Oops" by GoWesty for this system.........

Greetings,

It has come to our attention that the pads that were shipped with your GoWesty rear disc brake kit were mistakenly shipped to GoWesty without anti-squeal pad retainers. These clips are being shipped to GoWesty and are due to arrive on 03/16. We will be sending these clips out to you as soon as we receive them in.

If you have not installed your brake kit yet, we recommend you wait until these clips arrive. If you have already installed your brake kit, there is no need for concern. The absence of these retainers DOES NOT pose ANY safety risk to your system. You may install them at your earliest convenience- the process takes only about 5 minutes per side after the wheel is removed. Installation of these clips does not require any disassembly of the brake system, or any intrusion into the brake fluid system (hoses). Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that this has caused.

Sincerely,

Mike Wiehl
Sales Manager
GoWesty Camper Products

Gotta love GoWesty's attention to detail...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

There is something I am disturbed by OTHER THAN that the GW product is SOLD OUT... Today, I see that, while still Sold Out, the price has been changed to $799.

What an insult.

In an instant, I went from thinking that I was glad to have the option, and looking forward to purchasing something/anything from GW again, I am now confirming what I had been feeling for the last couple years regarding their business.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Perhaps that's how much more it cost per set to eliminate all the 'new product snafus'. Laughing
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Probs the cost of actually making and including the other side bracket that the kits were missing/having two same side ones.. RnD forgot that left =/= right bracket.. oh well, Burley seems to have it all sorted out, with tons of happy adopters.

I'm happy to have the GW website to reference, but now back to ONLY REFERENCE, rather than almost having purchased from there again.. ( 2+ years now, I think)
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Probs the cost of actually making and including the other side bracket that the kits were missing/having two same side ones.. RnD forgot that left =/= right bracket.. oh well, Burley seems to have it all sorted out, with tons of happy adopters.

I'm happy to have the GW website to reference, but now back to ONLY REFERENCE, rather than almost having purchased from there again.. ( 2+ years now, I think)

I just received my brackets from gowesty that they forgot to include on my original rear disc brake kit. They credited me $3.99. Not sure why they boosted the price $100? Supply and demand I guess? I’d be pissed too if I was contemplating the kit and watched the price go up by $100.

I’ll report back on how the kit “feels.” Wish I had done some hard braking tests before the van went into the shop for an unbiased comparison. Maybe someone else could do this before removing their rear drums?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Welcome to the club. I feel the same way about a number of the big name vendors.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: