Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Driving down the same NC country roads over the last several years I've noticed them getting nastier & nastier. I have decided to do something about it & I contacted a local NCDOT station & they furnished me with bags that they will pick up along the roadside.

I will do this as often as possible (Weather permitting) & post my progress here.

I Challenge all of y'all to do the same & post your results here.

Here's my first submission (Second day).

Before...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

That's a vast improvement. Pretty nice that NCDOT will supply bags.

Last edited by veedubcrazy on Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Good job.

MY son's old BSA troop regularly goes into the local preserve and cleans the trails.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Bless you for your efforts. I don't understand why people litter. On my job I (university grounds dept.) I spent nearly half my time picking it up. Some clubs or companies here "sponsor " sections of highways. Cigarette butts are the worst! They are cellulose acetate (plastic) and do NOT decompose.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Cleaning up after your cousins driveway Downey count.

Laughing

Great Job
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Nice work.

Google #trashtag if you want to see more of this, it's been a big thing for a few years

One news story:
https://www.newsweek.com/trashtag-trash-tag-challenge-twitter-reddit-1359221
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Good job.

MY son's old BSA troop regularly goes into the local preserve and cleans the trails.

Just on the other side of that bridge on the other side of the street is the local BSA camp ground. Evil or Very Mad

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Nice work.

Google #trashtag if you want to see more of this, it's been a big thing for a few years

One news story:
https://www.newsweek.com/trashtag-trash-tag-challenge-twitter-reddit-1359221

But there isn't a VW in any of the pictures. Laughing

I hadn't done any research on it (other than the, I shit you not, 27 calls to the local government & NCDOT to find where to get the bags that the DOT would pick up. (Otherwise, I would have to take the bags with me & dispose of them myself.)), I just wanted to do something about it & thought that maybe I could goad some of the other Sambanistas to join me in cleaning up our environment.

Through searching, NC is relying heavily on volunteers for roadside trash pickup (Primarily through the Adopt-a-highway program.) & there just didn't seem to be any volunteers working this section of my travels.

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

May I recommend that you do a follow up phone call to the NCDOT to let them know there are bags to be picked up, and their location.
Some people did the trail clean up/ roadside trash pick up right down the street from my house, put garbage in NCDOT bags, put them in a very conspicuous location, and they've been setting in the same location for about 4 months. So long in fact, that the bags have faded from a nice brilliant orange, to a muted dull yellow. There have been subsequent clean ups that have been picked up from the same general area.
The really sad part of all of this, is that the bags are at an intersection where:
-The road that T's off leads to the county waste transfer station, so garbage trucks pass by there all day long.
-There is a small paved parking lot directly across the street from where the bags are, where DOT, local county government vehicles, local refuse companies, as well as the larger corporate companies, will park for lunch or breaks, roll-off dumpster swaps, etc.
-The bags are on city property, near a building where some police and county services are located.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Yes sir, thanks Jon. I plan on calling them when I have collected more than just a couple of bags worth.

daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Along the same line:
Whenever I go outdoors (hiking, fishing etc.) I take a plastic bag with me and pick up litter where I find it.
My policy - always leave a place cleaner than when you arrived.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

here in vt we have green-up day the first saturday in may.
state gives out green bags and people/groups pick a road and pick up trash the state or town picks up the bags.

good time to get rid of tires. Laughing
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Trash is gone, but you didn't remove that oil-dripping, environment-destroying old hippie car in the background!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Great job!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Around here we have something called the 'Adopt-A-Highway' program.

Businesses sign up and agree to clean a section of highway on some sort of schedule. In exchange they get an official Adopt-A-Highway sign with their business name on it, which may not seem like much, but I notice them which means others do, too which is essentially free advertising.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

Around here, roadside cleanup is done by gangs of people wearing highly visible orange or striped jumpsuits ... I believe the local sheriffs organize them.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Around here we have something called the 'Adopt-A-Highway' program.

Businesses sign up and agree to clean a section of highway on some sort of schedule. In exchange they get an official Adopt-A-Highway sign with their business name on it, which may not seem like much, but I notice them which means others do, too which is essentially free advertising.

NC has this also but businesses are obviously going to adopt roads with the most traffic & the back roads are obviously being neglected. I could have signed up for the Adopt-A-Highway program, but then I would be required to maintain that section & even get calls requesting that I do something about an issue. This way, I can clean up wherever I see fit.

Q-Dog wrote:
Around here, roadside cleanup is done by gangs of people wearing highly visible orange or striped jumpsuits ... I believe the local sheriffs organize them.

NC also uses utilizes the captive worker program but they concentrate on major highways.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

I'm shakin the bush boss , I'm shakin the bush.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

You probably could have left the big tree in the foreground Laughing

Nice work. I also take a extra bag with me when I go fishing to clean up waste left by others. As the poster said above: always leave it better than you found it
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL AGAIN! Challenge Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
I'm shakin the bush boss , I'm shakin the bush.

Oh look! Very Happy here's another boss guy. I'm gonna start counting Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: