Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8t swap questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
air2water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

I have a 1.8t vanagon mounted at 50 degrees. My turbo is leaking oil bad, so I am ordering a new one. In this process I am running the motor out of a late 90's passat with the exhaust portion of the turbo coming out towards the front of the Vanagon. Since I am changing the turbo, should I change out the manifold to a mk4 manifold and have the exhaust portion of the turbo exit out towards the back of the vehicle instead of replacing the passat turbo?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clean up the piping mess?!@#*
Changing up the exhaust right now. Will all be directed weather or not I change the manifold when changing out the turbo.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

I'm curious, your turbo looks really low in the picture. Is it the lowest point? It might explain the leaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
air2water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

Below are some images. The Turbo is just about even with the bottom of the oil pan, slightly higher. The tube coming out of it making that u shape is the lowest point. Would this cause the oil leaking? I am new to turbo's.

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

The MK4 manifold and turbo will interfere with your motor mount and mount bracket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
air2water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

Oil always leaks off the bottom of that u shaped piping. I am changing out the turbo. Would it be smarter to change the manifold to a mk4 and swap all the piping and exhaust around? Or just keep it the same and reconfigure the piping?
air2water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

Thanks xoo00oox. That is good to know before I change that around. I will just rework my exhaust. Does anyone have pictures of how they piped their turbo and ran their exhaust on a 50 degree 1.8T?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

This is one I did years ago, now I'd do it all in 2" diameter pipe rather than 2.5.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

That's a rice-y noisy blow off valve hanging low not the turbo. Get rid of it and put the stock-style diverter valve in it's place. Motronic measures the air before the turbo, and if you vent a bunch of metered air to the atmosphere with one of those, at best it's gonna throw codes, at worst it'll go into limp mode. Also check to see if you might be able to re-clock the turbo inlet housing (aluminum side) to get the output aimed in a more useful direction for your boost piping...

On the turbo .. you need to do something about the turbo oil return line, for one thing. In the second picture you posted there's a distinct up-down-up bend to it, which will cause oil to back up in the turbo and leak. You *might* be able to heat-and-bend the stock Passat return line and straighten the flow, but more likely you'll need a custom line for that. I've seen kits with fittings and AN-type hose to do that for like $50-60...

I'd put heat shields between the exhaust and CV joints so you don't cook the grease, but otherwise I don't see anything particularly wrong with that design as long as it's well supported. Getting to the inner CV's is going to be a pain but you shouldn't have to mess with those more than every couple of years unless a boot fails (from heat or damage) so no big deal.
air2water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

I have read some of your posts. Do you have pictures of your oil drain and piping? I think my turbo is blown as it is smoking quite bad and losing quite a bit of oil out the outlet portion.
air2water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

Tristessa, my motor is going in limp mode a lot and the pipe keeps falling off the outlet... Bad set up! Should I replace the turbo while repiping everything if it is leaking bad?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
This is one I did years ago, now I'd do it all in 2" diameter pipe rather than 2.5.

And to think I built my exhaust with 3" all the way from the turbo through the cat and only stepped down to 2.5" at the muffler. It's gotten rather rusty despite the ceramic coating, might go smaller next time if it would help low-end torque...
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

air2water wrote:
Tristessa, my motor is going in limp mode a lot and the pipe keeps falling off the outlet... Bad set up! Should I replace the turbo while repiping everything if it is leaking bad?

I'd fix the return line so it has a smooth downward slope to the sump (no matter how gradual) and see if that eliminates your oil leak -- you might get lucky -- because you're going to need to address that whether you have to replace the turbo or not.

Pipes falling off is definitely bad, and that blowoff valve could easily explain the limp mode. =D
air2water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

Can I adjust the turbo while on the manifold? Also, is solid or flex line better for the oil drainage? Where can I get one that fits?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

you likely don't need to change the turbo as much as redesign the layout & design of your boosted plumbing.

there was an original thread on this van from the OP where we tried to offer advice.. including the exhaust routing.

there can be many reasons to go into limp mode. but to check them off one by one..

edit: just for thread clarity here's the build(ish) thread on this van/engine combo
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705291
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

air2water wrote:
Below are some images. The Turbo is just about even with the bottom of the oil pan, slightly higher. The tube coming out of it making that u shape is the lowest point. Would this cause the oil leaking? I am new to turbo's.

I'm new to but I spend most my days at work reading about this stuff. 2 things;

1) You oil feed and exit lines must be vertical or near vertical. So the oil comes into the top (not side) of the turbo and exits out the bottom.
2) The main shaft of your turbo must be at least above the level of the oil in your main sump or else it won't drain.

Ignoring these two things leads to leaks. The seals in your turbo aren't really seals, they are more like rings. They are to keep dirt out, not oil in.

Good vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU-kfMjKREA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TYZChIdy14
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

I think we saw this van before maybe with a owner? If I remember right it was done pretty sloppy and I think he said he put a new turbo on it.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

It's a pretty new-looking turbo in the pictures, regardless of whether this is the same Vanagon or not.

$5 says fixing the oil return line takes care of the problem...
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

That is a Chinese turbo on there, it wouldn't surprise me if it is no good. How is the motor mount on the right side?
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

air2water wrote:
Can I adjust the turbo while on the manifold? Also, is solid or flex line better for the oil drainage? Where can I get one that fits?

You should be able to reclock your compressor housing (clockwise looking from the rear) to exit more horizontally and get rid of the "root catcher" you have hanging there without removing the turbo. Once the oil return is squared away, there may be nothing wrong with the turbo.

From the pics, it's hard to see how vertical your oil inlet and drain lines are, but clearly the drain line to too low, and too restrictive to work properly. Doesn't take too much backpressure on the oil drain to cause oil to blow out past the seals. On my 50 degree conversion, the oil drain on the turbo is quite low so it has an oil scavenge pump installed between the turbo and the pan to ensure oil return.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t swap questions Reply with quote

Until gravity starts to pull horizontally, any turbo oil drain will need a lot more vertical drop than is shown on your installation in order to drain the turbo bearing housing. The seals inside the bearing housing are not designed to accommodate being flooded with oil and you then get oil leaking into the compressor side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: