Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican dash pad didn't work for me!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72VWSB Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican dash pad didn't work for me! Reply with quote

Well, it looks like the front vents on the dash are going to be fun getting them into the holes on the WCM dash pad! It appears that after looking at the old dash, these two front vents were pushed through the holes with the plastic side lugs melted on the inside to keep them in place! Should be fun...guess I'll have to try to glue the damn things in!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican dash pad didn't work for me! Reply with quote

If there's enough post sticking through just use something like these that will slide down and grip the posts

"Starlock washer"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
72VWSB Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican dash pad didn't work for me! Reply with quote

Thanks for the response! However, I'd have to take the dash back out again and it took me quite awhile just getting stuff hooked up again!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican dash pad didn't work for me! Reply with quote

How is the glove box door area on a WCM pad? Others have had issues there so that is of primary concern to me.

1969 autostick sedan, owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican dash pad didn't work for me! Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
Well, it looks like the front vents on the dash are going to be fun getting them into the holes on the WCM dash pad! It appears that after looking at the old dash, these two front vents were pushed through the holes with the plastic side lugs melted on the inside to keep them in place! Should be fun...guess I'll have to try to glue the damn things in!!

I did not have that much trouble putting the vents in, i did have to play with them, binding them and using a screwdriver, i don't remember the lugs being melted, just the lugs that held them in. again i did not hook up the other end under the hood.
The padded dash was installed when i put in the vent's, and mine is a 72 super.
Are you using your old vents, or the one's that came with the new dash ?
Good luck.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican dash pad didn't work for me! Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
Thanks for the response! However, I'd have to take the dash back out again and it took me quite awhile just getting stuff hooked up again!

JB ClearWeld for the win! Just a dab will do it!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/J-B-WELD-Clearweld-Clear-Epoxy-Adhesive/50149636
72VWSB Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican dash pad didn't work for me! Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
72VWSB wrote:

Do you just epoxy the little studs that go through the dash and epoxy them on the inside of the dash?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican dash pad didn't work for me! Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
72VWSB wrote:

Do you just epoxy the little studs that go through the dash and epoxy them on the inside of the dash?

I'd just put a small dab on the studs, yes. Then just stick them through in place.

Once cured, the PSI strength on that epoxy is ridiculous. You'll tear the foam way before it'd give way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: