Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

I'm starting to assemble a mostly stock 1600 rebuild, and as I was assembling the lower end I misread Wilson's rebuild guide and accidentally torqued my connecting rods to 32 ft lbs. These are stock, refurbished rods with nuts (not cap nuts), and the correct torque should have been 24. They all have loctite on them and the entire lower end is assembled on the left case half and timing set. Should I just loosen the nuts to 24 ft lbs before assembly, or have I fatigued the bolts/nuts? The rods all spun smoothly on the crank, dropping in a uniform rate with no hangs.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

It's only 8ftbl tighter. You can leave it as is. Since the rods are loose and falling at the same rate as gravity pulls them downward.

Or back the rod nuts off till loose and start again. What likely happened when you tightened to 32ftlb. Is the bolt stretched a bit. That's normal when tightening rod bolts.

In the technical section above. There is an "Engine Blue Printing PDF." You can down load that and print a copy of the torque value sheet. I taped that sheet to the garage wall above my workbench for quick reference.

Good Luck

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

I do not think you have stretched the bolts.
Rod bolts of that size can usually take 32, 36, up to 38 ft-lb

Clean off the locktite, apply oil, tighten to the correct value, or....
IMO 25-26 ft-lb maybe ok.
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

I would [definitely] leave it as is. The loctite is set. It's not a significcant amount and you may create more problems trying to get them perfectly to spec.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

mostly stock 1600....I'd leave it alone and move on.

I read an article by a major hi-pro V-8 engine builder. He said 90% of all catostropic engine failures are falsely blamed on broken rod bolts.
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies, all. Looking at my machinist’s notes I see he checked all the bearing clearances at 28 ft lbs. And one of the four was at the tightest permissible clearance. I think I will pull off the nuts and retorque to 26-28 and be done.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

I would not touch them.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
I would not touch them.

I would not touch them.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

Wait, Locktite on rod bolts? I thought just oil and torque?
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Unless specified, torque should be set with dry threads. Always go by manufacturer literature. Oil or any other type of lube or liquid will throw off your specified torque setting and the bolt/nut will tend to be over torqued. If insisting on locktite, torque first then apply on remaining threads. If done properly, I really don't see the need anyways. We are not spinning these engines that fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:

Just following the Wilson guide’s recommendations.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

3 years ago I used brand-new connecting rods from CB Performance on my 1600cc rebuild, and used CB's torque instructions.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

Years ago and I guess it would still apply to the manufacturers that used them, rod bolts and nuts where torqued using oiled threads and then pal nuts were applied as the locking feature to prevent the steel nuts from backing off the bolt.

A pal nut was a stamped nut that was heat treated. Studebaker was one engine manufacturer that used them as a lock nut on connecting rod bolts. Studebaker did all of their own casting using a unique formula containing 30% recycled steel for their iron castings. Crankshafts were forged steel as were connecting rods. This what was done for even their lowly six cylinder engines.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
rosevillain wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Unless specified, torque should be set with dry threads. Always go by manufacturer literature.

The reason it does not specifically say, in the Bently manual, what to lubricate the threads with is..... everybody already knew.

Precision engine fasteners are OILED unless specified otherwise.

With what?
40wt engine oil or gear lube

I use gear lube because 40 wt oil is extinct.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

It has been proven nearly impossible to get a rod bolt to vibrate loose.

Just because somebody wrote it in a book it will be forever repeated.

We need a sticky for BOOK CORRECTIONs.

These charts for torquing a faster dry are a new thing, for these new "once use only" fasteners. In fact if you want to maximise the life of your fasteners, try LUBE.

How would you even make a connecting rod otherwise?
It has to be bolted together to machine it. Then assembled in the engine. then on rebuild time you bolt the rod together to check the size, if out of spec then take apart to cut the parting, then assemble and re-hone, then disassemble, then assemble in the engine. How many is that?
Wanna go dry? NO, zero advantages to it.
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

Apparently I kicked a hornet's nest. Wasn't aware there were such divided schools of thought on how to fasten a connecting rod! The Loctite did seem like overkill to me, but I assumed the oft-cited Wilson book knew what they were talking about.

However, in the same section he did mis-cite the orientation of the timing marks on the main gear at #1 TDC by 90 degrees, and I knew enough to suspect that was wrong and confirm it on these forums. And at no point in the book does he tell you to reinstall the oil slinger on your crank before dropping it in the case, and I knew that was wrong. So I will take the remainder of his rebuild instructions with a grain of salt and compare other sources.

Regardless, my lower end assembled nicely and spins smoothly after all the case bolts are torqued down.

Now to find a way to hold that beast in place while I torque the gland nut and set end play...

Last edited by virusdoc on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

Here is a generalized table I found having to do with dry vs lube. All I am saying is using lube should absolutely be taken into consideration if you should be torquing dry. If virusdoc's manual says to lube thread, that's fine. Lock tite would not have been my first choice.

It's not about the fastener spinning off of the stud, it has to do with bolt stretch and tension pulling on the bolt. Rather go through a couple of cheap nuts than having a bolt snap in a critical application.

Virusdoc, I would leave well enough alone at this point. Again, this isn't rocket science.

Lubricant Torque Reduction
No lube 0
Graphite 50% - 55%
White Grease 35% - 45%
SAE 30 oil 35% - 45%
SAE 40 oil 30% - 40%
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Over-torqued connect rods...what should I do? Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
Apparently I kicked a hornet's nest. Wasn't aware there were such divided schools of thought on how to fasten a connecting rod! The Loctite did seem like overkill to me, but I assumed the oft-cited Wilson book knew what they were talking about.

However, in the same section he did mis-cite the orientation of the timing marks on the main gear at #1 TDC by 90 degrees, and I knew enough to suspect that was wrong and confirm it on these forums. And at no point in the book does he tell you to reinstall the oil slinger on your crank before dropping it in the case, and I knew that was wrong. So I will take the remainder of his rebuild instructions with a grain of salt and compare other sources.

Regardless, my lower end assembled nicely and spins smoothly after all the case bolts are torqued down.

Now to find a way to hold that beast in place while I torque the gland nut and set end play...

"Never screw a dry hole."- More Experienced Guy

I used to use a length of angle with holes drilled for the flywheel bolts to hold everything while torqueing the flywheel. Now, not having bought the torque multiplier tool sooner is one of my regrets.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: