Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 project better late start than never
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

I bought this beetle back in May of 2014 and never got really into the project until recently.

Here it is when I got it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then it sat around for a couple years until I tore the pan down.

Then a couple more years of sitting until Nov of 2019 I finally started on it.
First I made a dolly

Started on drivers side

Very helpful donor piece thanks to user Burgundy Ron

Then started on passenger side

And most recently started on the wheel well and the pans came in for it

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hewica8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

Looks like a great start to a project! That's awesome that you were able to find that donor panel for the lower b-pillar. I need to replace my driver side channel but would need the same donor piece that you found, so for now I'm just running what I have.
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

awesome .. hope you have some good progress . will be on the lookout for some updates
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

hewica8 wrote:
Looks like a great start to a project! That's awesome that you were able to find that donor panel for the lower b-pillar. I need to replace my driver side channel but would need the same donor piece that you found, so for now I'm just running what I have.

Thanks! You should look through his ads I. Sure he'll have something for you. He's cutting me the rain gutter I need that's specific for 58/59. And always a fair price.

bad91teg wrote:
awesome .. hope you have some good progress . will be on the lookout for some updates

Thank you Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

So today I took out the pans and test fit the new ones. Wire wheeled the pan so that I won't have to spend as much time media blasting the pan.

Before

After

Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

Today I worked on the fire wall section. And punched all the holes for the new floor pans.

Before

I blasted, and made a new piece to replace the rusted portion. Then painted with Zero rust and weld through primer

Done

And then I moved everything onto one side of the garage so I can work on my friends car tomorrow
WADVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

Clean work! I’m in about the exact same boat. Similar condition and been sitting around for a while and finally getting started on it.
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

Great job on everything! You’re really making a ton of progress

How did the klassic fab channels fit? I’ve got a pair, once I get there on my project

The quality & stampings look great on mine, & everybody seems to love the fit

Keep up the great work!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

WADVR wrote:
Clean work! I’m in about the exact same boat. Similar condition and been sitting around for a while and finally getting started on it.

Looking forward to the updates in your build thread Smile it's easy to let stuff sit but feels good once you finally start getting rolling on it.

dodgerodder wrote:

How did the klassic fab channels fit? I’ve got a pair, once I get there on my project

Keep up the great work!

Dan

Thank you! And I love the KF channels they fit perfectly and line up well with the Wolfsburgwest floor pans. I have zero complaints with the channels. The front fire wall sections I got from KF too and they fit perfectly into the pressing of the original firewall.

If you have to do quarters I'd suggest their quarters too. I fitted two Klokkerhelm ones on the car. Was unhappy with the passenger side fitment so cut it out and installed a KF one instead. It was much nicer in both appearance and fitment. If I were to do it again if do both sides with KF quarters from the start to save the headache.
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

dodgerodder wrote:

Keep up the great work!

Dan

Thank you! And I love the KF channels they fit perfectly and line up well with the Wolfsburgwest floor pans. I have zero complaints with the channels. The front fire wall sections I got from KF too and they fit perfectly into the pressing of the original firewall.

If you have to do quarters I'd suggest their quarters too. I fitted two Klokkerhelm ones on the car. Was unhappy with the passenger side fitment so cut it out and installed a KF one instead. It was much nicer in both appearance and fitment. If I were to do it again if do both sides with KF quarters from the start to save the headache.[/quote]

That’s good to hear, I’ve heard the kf channels fit great!

Thankfully I don’t need rear quarter panels, my car is weird! It’s super rust free in the usual spots

But the heater channels need replaced because of a windshield leak in both lower corners. So the water ran down the defrost hoses into the channels

Both h channels look GREAT outside, but rusted out from the inside.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

Man! This thread popped up just in time. I’m about to start my heater channels as well. I’ve got the rear quarter section, front quarter section and a small piece of the A and B pillar to replace as well as the heater channels. Your pictures are very helpful.

As bracing goes looks like you went in an X pattern right and left across the A pillar to B pillar. I was thinking of boxing the the lower A to A and A to B and then B to B since the roof Roof is still firmly attached. I was going to brace about 6” above the heater channel. What do you think?

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

[quote="dodgerodder"]
dodgerodder wrote:

But the heater channels need replaced because of a windshield leak in both lower corners. So the water ran down the defrost hoses into the channels

Both h channels look GREAT outside, but rusted out from the inside.....

Mine had a lot of rust in b pillar and driver's side door due to nice. Seems they all rust in their own ways Haha

flyboy161 wrote:
Man! This thread popped up just in time. I’m about to start my heater channels as well. I’ve got the rear quarter section, front quarter section and a small piece of the A and B pillar to replace as well as the heater channels. Your pictures are very helpful.

As bracing goes looks like you went in an X pattern right and left across the A pillar to B pillar. I was thinking of boxing the the lower A to A and A to B and then B to B since the roof Roof is still firmly attached. I was going to brace about 6” above the heater channel. What do you think?

I did the drivers side first. I used angle iron A to B pillar on both sides, and the. X brace between the 4 pillars. Definitely wasn't enough bracing and cause a headache to get my door to shut correctly again. So when I went to do the passenger side I wasn't going to risk that again so I went A-B and then X braced the door as you see. It didn't flex at all and I didn't have any change in door gap/function on that side.

I think 4-6 inches above the channel is good, you want too. To work on lower pillars as needed. Might find more needing replaced once you get in there and it's a pain to move bracing.
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Steering box rebuild Reply with quote

I couldn't find many pictures of the earlier steering box disassembly so I tried to take a bunch.

Cleaned with degreaser

Media blasted

from the bottom with the shaft removed

Taking the back cap out

The bearing

Inside

All laid out

I also blasted along the chassis where the pan gets welded in and then painted that area with weld through primer.
BecauseAirCooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

wow. this is a great build so far Cool im waiting to see how you prep the metal on your chassis and what route you go for paint. keep up the good work. Smile
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

Put the body on to line up the pans. You can see in this pic how the door still needs fixed.

Then I took the body off and finished up welding them in after work today. Tomorrow I'll grind down then welds.

dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

That looks awesome! New pans & channels look so good

Now you just have 947 floor pan spot welds to grind Laughing

Keep it up
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

dodgerodder wrote:
That looks awesome! New pans & channels look so good

Now you just have 947 floor pan spot welds to grind Laughing

Keep it up

Thanks! Glad I didn't cheap out on the channels and pans. And I did finish up the grinding today after work.

I also dropped off my steering box for powder coating but did not get pictures of that.

And my grinder died mid process. Got about 7 years out of it. Not bad, not sure if I will get the higher model or not this time since I got a fair amount of time out of it.
WADVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

Lookin good! Cool

I swapped over to a 12v Milwaukee 2 speed sander/ polisher. Much quieter and no air line to fight but not as powerful and two batteries are minimum to keep it going but sufficient.
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

WADVR wrote:
Lookin good! Cool

I swapped over to a 12v Milwaukee 2 speed sander/ polisher. Much quieter and no air line to fight but not as powerful and two batteries are minimum to keep it going but sufficient.

I'd like to get one of those sometime, but I just got another pneumatic one for now.
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 project better late start than never Reply with quote

Update for what I have done over the past couple of days.

I got my steering box back from being powder coated. I polished up the pieces that did not get powder coated, and coated them with ZeroRust.

I also removed my fuel line which was a chore.

The area around the master cylinder had gotten bent at some point in the cars life so I worked on getting that better.

And I made this repair piece for my apron.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: