Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Germanic vehicles...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Germanic vehicles... Reply with quote

I bought a 1983 240D a few years ago from the original owners estate, had set about 12 years or so, had a local mechanic check everything then did a fly and drive of about 850 miles. I had retired about then, so spent a bunch of time watching youtube videos, picking the brain of a local independent mechanic, offered to pay him for his time but he just said if anything I wasn't" comfortable doing, bring it to him, which i did some. Took about a year of fiddling and learning, but now it's running sweet, then I spent 2 months cleaning, polishing everything over and over, even sweeter. Now my wife drives around like she is the queen, all told around 6K in all, but in my opinion, it looks brand new, and absolutely no rust at all. This car will outlive us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Germanic vehicles... Reply with quote

Honestly surprising how many 240s are still out on the roads, especially considering they didn't really make a huge number of them - yes they made a bit over 2 million - but it took them almost 20 years to make that many.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Germanic vehicles... Reply with quote

Lots of 240s but the 850s and V70s were more fun..

Shocked
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Germanic vehicles... Reply with quote

Paging Tram.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They include the original diesel engine for the new owner to torture themselves with.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-mercedes-be...2020-04-29
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Germanic vehicles... Reply with quote

That’s off topic, it doesn’t even look Swedish
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Germanic vehicles... Reply with quote

A few years ago I answered a want-ad in the newspaper for a European Car shop in California looking specifically for an air-cooled VW mechanic.

"Hey, that's for me!" I said.

My first day on the job, they had me change a broken exhaust valve spring in a Porsche 356, which wasn't ACVW, but it was close enough. My second day on the job, they had me putting a new radiator in a Vanagon- not air cooled, but still VW, so that's cool. On the third day, they had me changing the timing chain on an '86 Mercedes six-cylinder diesel- neither air cooled nor VW, but still made in Germany, so why not. I like a good challenge!

After a few weeks of working on everything from old Fiats to Bug-eye Sprites and even a classic Ferrari (none of which were air cooled, VW, OR German!), an old VW Beetle finally rolled into the shop. They promptly gave it to one of the other mechanics and put me to working on a Ford Explorer. Hell, that's not even European! Next day, I gave 'em my two weeks.

The German stuff just calls to me, for some reason. Everything else is nothing but a collection of nuts and bolts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: