Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to buy 356 parts?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

58 356. I don't need much. Carb kits, fuel line petcock, window rubber, door seals, maybe a few other pieces of body rubber, and door sill rubber. Not sure who to go to anymore. I haven't bought 356 parts for 40 years. Thanks, Dean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

☠️

Last edited by Jacks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

autohauseaz.com has what you want.
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll check them out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

I check Stoddard, Zims, Pelican, and Wolfsburg West to see who has the best prices. They don't all stock the same things, so you have to look around sometimes. Anything that's common to VW and 356 I get from WW. The parts are the same but I don't have to pay the Porsche tax.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Pelicanparts.com
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Great! I'll check them out. Thank you.
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

I also found autoatlanta.com
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Zenith Kit Search here on the Samba classifieds. Link: for the carb kits. Italy or England suppliers. eBay.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Do you need a complete fuel petcock or just rebuild parts? If you are going to rebuild yours you can order the individual seals from Stoddard for far less than the total rebuild kit. Be aware there are two kinds of petcocks, one has a larger fuel flow selector disc than the other. This is a photo of a small diameter fuel tap I just rebuilt. I got the whole kit because the screens were broken. As you can see, the kit comes with both sizes of selector discs (the cork thinks with 4 holes). If your screens are good all you need are new seals.
If your fuel tap is completely missing PM me. I have a couple of spares.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Great thanks. I'm not sure what is there at this point as far as the fuel petcock. A little history on my car. I've owned it over 40 years. It was a running driving car up until about 35 years ago. My Dad liked to take things apart, and started to do that to this car unbeknown to me. When I found out what he was doing I put a stop to it. But at that point the car wasn't drivable. The fuel tank was removed, the bumpers were removed, the seats were removed,as well as a few other things. I have all of the above parts that are original to the car, except for the seats. It has different seats in it, but I like them so That's not a conceren to me. The car has been parked for those 35 years. The car is mostly original paint, and never been hit or rusty. It still has it's original engine too. I hope to put it back together soon, well at least start putting it back together and make it a driver again. My first priority is to rebuild the carbs, do the fuel system and get the brakes back on it and get it back on the ground and running. Thanks for all the info and advise. I'll post pictures when I dig it out of it's hiding spot. Maybe in a few weeks.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

That's an awful long time to be setting! Hope it was inside! Unless the engine was turned over a bit it will have the rings rusted to the cylinder. Best to plan on a complete disassembly and evaluation. I loved the A's Great little motors. Lets hope it's not too badly oxidized.
The car is also going to need all new brake system rubber. Just as well go to Silicone Dot 5.0 when you do the brakes. Get the brakes working and not leaking before installing new brake liners. Be sure to repack the wheel bearings and grease the car. Probably needs a new steering coupler not to mention 5 new tires. Or maybe just put your smoothies on it. A 58 356A Coupe is worth a lot of money now and the Convertible D even more!
I will be following along here wishing you the best.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Sounds like a great project and I wish you well. Please post your progress here and don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions. [/i]
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

The car's been indoors and covered the whole time. The brakes are already off the car, and yes the rubber lines will be replaced. The engine turns over. I've started engines that have been sitting for a long time before without any problems. So I think this one will be fine. That's what I'm hoping anyway. I will be buying new wheels and tires as the original wheels are missing. I might run the smoothies, not sure yet. I have two sets of original two piece EMPI 5 spokes too, but I don't think I'll run those.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Well The thing is about that engine, you could damage it if you run it much. Hate to see you have to buy a new crankshaft just because you didn't make sure it's clean inside with new bearings.
JulesD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

get your rubber seals from international mercantile in Cali. By far the best fitting and quality but a bit hard to get a hold of. An old fashioned phone call does miracles with them Smile Sounds like a great project to work on!
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Jules, I already mentioned IM. Recommendation ignored, so post was deleted. Very Happy
ryzrydz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

lots of good suggestions so far. I would recommend getting parts catalodges from Stoddard, and nla and current price lists, sierra madre collection, eicklers, zims, pelican parts, easy. intn merc, etc. for used parts, original, samba has excellent range, also 356 registry. you might also think about organizing your shop, organize your tools and of course your time management. can you spend time with car, solving problems, dealing with staggering prices. think about are you the guy to complete this project, and if not, how to pass it along to next dreamer. some folks part out there hopeless 356 and buy newer 911 for half the money
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great advise. And thanks ryzrydz, I have an organized shop and all the tools I need. A little history on myself. I'm currently a tool & die maker. I run a CNC Lathe now. I've been a machinest for about 30 years. Before that I worked in high end restoration shops, working on Porsche's, Ferrari's, BMW's etc. and yes I've done some 356's, even a twin cam Carrera. I enjoyed it, but eventually got burnt out on it, and I didn't want to work on my own stuff. I've built and restored cars from the ground up, so I can do everything I need to do. As far as my 356, I haven't touched it yet. Maybe within the next month I'll dig it out. It's been on jackstands with no wheels or brakes on it for 18 years. When someone tells you life gets away from you, believe them. I've had plenty of other cars to keep me busy all that time though. Now I have someone that wants to see it back together, and wants to help me do that, so why not. I really don't think it's going to take much cash outlay to get it back on the road, just more time than anything. It's and original paint (mostly) white car with a red interior. I like that combo, but if I do change the color it will go black, with the red interior. We'll see. First is to get it running and enjoy it again.
ottovu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Choose your rubber carefully....some of it is junk
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: