Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best repop side mirror
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Best repop side mirror Reply with quote

My 13yo son claims he threw a beach ball in the garage during a tantrum and it bounced into the side mirror, resulting in this (shattered glass already cleaned up)...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My daddy senses tell me that is not quite the whole truth or even a smidge of the truth, but I won’t tell him it gives me an excuse to replace it Laughing That pitted cheap repop prefers to point towards the ground instead of the traffic behind me anyway.

My understanding is that all the repops are subpar. The only recommendation I’ve found so far on the Samba are these from West Coast Metric from several years ago: https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22965429-141-499-l.html

Any others I should consider? Don’t want swan necks or scratched and overpriced originals. Thanks.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Best repop side mirror Reply with quote

I think WCM is your best bet.
I haven’t been disappointed with anything I’ve gotten from them.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Best repop side mirror Reply with quote

Find a glass shop, you only need a small piece of mirror cut.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best repop side mirror Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Ah, you must've missed the part where I said... "it gives me an excuse to replace it" Laughing

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I think WCM is your best bet.
I haven’t been disappointed with anything I’ve gotten from them.

Thank you. That's two thumbs up for WCM. FYI, here's the thread I ran across before... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8289230... that had this positive feedback too...

CiderGuy wrote:
For my 70 I bought my mirror from West Coast Metrics. Someone gave me a brand new driver side mirror from them, and I liked the quality. Seems they have lowered their prices.

tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best repop side mirror Reply with quote

Hold out for NOS. I see them fairly often in the classifieds.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best repop side mirror Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Hold out for NOS. I see them fairly often in the classifieds.

I'm looking for an original RS mirror for a 71 Ghia. The one I have is badly pitted on the neck and base. I don't know if the one in have is original? How can I positively tell an original from a repro? Is there a part number or some kind of markings?

My old one has a small hole on the bottom of the back. Some repros have this hole and some do not. I assume the hole is for drainage? Is that correct? Did originals have this hole?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best repop side mirror Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Doesn't it need to be some type of mirror for automotive use? Perhaps it has some kind of glare reduction?

I thought there was a difference in mirrored glass for autos.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best repop side mirror Reply with quote

Quote:
My old one has a small hole on the bottom of the back. Some repros have this hole and some do not. I assume the hole is for drainage? Is that correct? Did originals have this hole?

I'm not sure, but both of mine are originals and have the hole. I assume for drainage.
d
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best repop side mirror Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
......I thought there was a difference in mirrored glass for autos.

I think that's true only for the internal rear vision mirror that has glare reduction. Those have non-parallel face/rear for that to work.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: