Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Birth Certificate Wrong?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tatzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

I just got my VW Birth Certificate from Classic Volkswagen Parts in Germany and can’t believe how wrong it seems...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First it says my car is Savanna Beige? But every corner of my car is clearly Lotus White...

And it also says the car was built in October ‘67 when every chart shows it built June ‘67. 117844140 is not an October car.

Is this kind of misinformation normal? Not sure whether to write and complain, or just suck it up as lost money?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

Birth certificates are not always correct. Colour may be incorrectly identified. That happens.
As far as the date of manufacture, the first two digits are the day so the tenth. The next two digits are the month 07, so July and then 1967.
10.07.1967 and that corresponds to your VIN #.
The old style certificates spelled out the month to avoid this confusion.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

Thanks to the poster of this pic taken from the gallery. I am using it to show how the first two numbers are the day, not the month.

tatzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

Ok, now that’s a relief... and makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

Son, your mother and I wanted to wait until you were older before we told you this. But you found your birth certificate, and now you know, you are illegitimate.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

I think the US is the only country that places the month before the day of the month like that. We in the rest of the world are confused too!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

But do they?

Is it the "Fourth of July" (04/07) or "July Fourth (07/04)? I think it seems confusing even over there.

Interestingly what is also confusing is the German 1, which has a 45 degree stroke at the top of the one so it looks like a distorted 7. That's why they have a horizontal stroke through their 7 to distinguish it.

Which brings to me to a story about such confusion. I worked for a German company and had to drive from Hamburg to a town in the country. I received a hand-written note which said to drive south and take the 77th exit. Knowing the discrepancy between their numbers 1 and 7 I continued to drive until I got to the 11th exit. And not where I should have been. I was a hundred kilometres away from where I should have been.

When I got back to the office, we all had a giggle. The Germans, knowing that us Aussies didn't use the crossed 7, wrote the 7 the way we did, but I of course second-guessed that they really meant that it was a 1 not a 7, otherwise they would have written it with a cross line.

Ditto with commas for thousands. The Germans use a decimal point to indicate a thousand and a comma to indicate a decimal????

If only we could convince some countries to be standardised. My little brain cannot understand what happens when you measure something in 64ths when you can measure it in mm! Wink
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
But do they?

Is it the "Fourth of July" (04/07) or "July Fourth (07/04)? I think it seems confusing even over there.

Interestingly what is also confusing is the German 1, which has a 45 degree stroke at the top of the one so it looks like a distorted 7. That's why they have a horizontal stroke through their 7 to distinguish it.

Which brings to me to a story about such confusion. I worked for a German company and had to drive from Hamburg to a town in the country. I received a hand-written note which said to drive south and take the 77th exit. Knowing the discrepancy between their numbers 1 and 7 I continued to drive until I got to the 11th exit. And not where I should have been. I was a hundred kilometres away from where I should have been.

When I got back to the office, we all had a giggle. The Germans, knowing that us Aussies didn't use the crossed 7, wrote the 7 the way we did, but I of course second-guessed that they really meant that it was a 1 not a 7, otherwise they would have written it with a cross line.

Ditto with commas for thousands. The Germans use a decimal point to indicate a thousand and a comma to indicate a decimal????

If only we could convince some countries to be standardised. My little brain cannot understand what happens when you measure something in 64ths when you can measure it in mm! Wink

If only everyone drove on the right side of the road.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
The Germans, knowing that us Aussies didn't use the crossed 7, wrote the 7 the way we did, but I of course second-guessed that they really meant that it was a 1 not a 7, otherwise they would have written it with a cross line.

Reminds me of a story in the early days of the PC. At one of the very first meetings between Apple and IBM, both sides were apparently aware of their partner's culture, and wanted to please. So the Apple folks wore suits and ties, and the IBM folks wore business casual. When they arrived at the conference room and took their seats, they realized that their efforts had cancelled out in a way! They had a good laugh, too!

I learned about crossed sevens when opening Advent calendars as a kid... the ones looked odd and the sevens even odder, but then it made sense.

Then later when I went into Aerospace cost analysis, our first contract was a joint venture with Euromissile, a combination of Germany's Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm (MBB), and France's Aérospatiale (both now part of Airbus), and learned to cross my sevens and zeroes to make sure values (numerical and software coding) were unambiguous with ones, and the letters I and O.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

I see San Antonio which looks correct.

I heard a story a while back about the San Antonio port. That is where VW delivered. In that same story I heard how VW reorganized everything and the person who owned that distribution hub lost it because they didn't want to move it to the Port of Houston.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tatzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

Now that the Month/Day confusion is cleared... I'm noticing that according to this my car was built in Germany on Monday July 10th, and then delivered in San Antonio, TX the next day on Tuesday July 11th.

That's better than Amazon Prime!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

tatzbug wrote:
Now that the Month/Day confusion is cleared... I'm noticing that according to this my car was built in Germany on Monday July 10th, and then delivered in San Antonio, TX the next day on Tuesday July 11th.

Safe bet the "delivery date" was the day it left the factory.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

tatzbug wrote:

Keep in mind that it can be July 10th there and be July 9th here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
tatzbug wrote:

Keep in mind that it can be July 10th there and be July 9th here.

There isn't a cargo ship in history that could load up at a German port, travel across the Atlantic, and unload in Texas in two days. Laughing
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
There isn't a cargo ship in history that could load up at a German port, travel across the Atlantic, and unload in Texas in two days. Laughing

Just goes to show. You can't trust those Germans. Being that was less than 20 years after the war there weren't any ethically minded ones in the country.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
tatzbug wrote:

Safe bet the "delivery date" was the day it left the factory.

Agree. On the older style “birth certificates” the term used was “left the factory on”. Not sure why they have decided to change the term to “delivered.” Looking at some gallery pics of the new style certificates, there are some that actually have manufacture and delivery date as the same. Remarkably fast service lol
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

tatzbug wrote:

Yes, agree with the people above.
I don't think that is when it was delivered to the USA

The certificates used to say "Left Factory on" so I'm not sure why they changed the wording

My old '60 (Bus but same idea)

Even the "Built On" date is not the day it was built, it's the date it was COMPLETED. As far as I know.
So build completed on first date, then it sat around and was "Delivered" to the port or trucking for shipment on the 2nd day.
This explains why some dates are the same day or very close.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

I put Ruby's certificate in a safe place, otherwise would post.

I am so thankful for this mention of left the factory is now date of delivery. Dad had his original paperwork stolen and both of us puzzled by the February delivery, as Dad clearly remembers her arrival at Long Beach being Bastille Day. Does that jive with the time it take to ship from Germany?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
tatzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

What about my having gotten a different color than my car is painted on my certificate?? (Even though there's no factory paint code tag on the apron, I'm nearly 100% certain my car has never been repainted... at least not from Savanna Beige to Lotus White)

Wondering is there's an intriguing story behind having a different color code on the Cert like there was the build date.

Also wondering if getting the wrong color on the Cert is a common experience?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate Wrong? Reply with quote

tatzbug wrote:
I'm nearly 100% certain my car has never been repainted...

The evidence of the 12v sticker being masked off and what looks like paint chip layering or a run on the pinch seam at upper left disagrees with your no repaint theory, though it may have been just spot painted.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: