Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All things uniWerks Design
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Hello, My name is Chris, I am on year 13 of ownership of my 1985 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender. I use it as a development rig for my company as I am the founder of uniwerksdesign.com.

I design and manufacture NLA and some innovative custom parts for Vanagons, Bay Window busses, etc... I spent 15 years as the Lead Designer for a Medical Device manufacturer where I was named on 5 US Patents for plastic part design. After a restructuring, I found myself on layoff, so I started making VW parts.

I've been doing it for over two years now and am looking to expand into other VW and Porsche vehicles. I also sponsor several Vanagon related shows/campouts every year. Vans on the Mountain, Syncrofest and Vanagons in the Valley, for this year (2020).

With Everett's blessing, I Just wanted to introduce myself as I spend a lot of time on the Vanagon groups on facebook and would like to get back to spending more time here. I'd love to answer any questions you have or to help you in developing parts for your vehicle. I will be using this thread to make new product announcements, to announce sales, and so forth. Please feel free to respond to this thread with reviews of my products and customer service. Smile

Cheers
Chris

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Having just made several purchases from Chris, I can attest he is top notch and his innovative products are very neat indeed! Does custom work and many requests for parts too.

Everyone needs a set of Cool-Stiks in their van for summertime at least! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Chris just made a new version of a long NLA part for my '81 shifter box. It was a part that was made of plastic and it had disintegrated, so Chris had to reverse engineer it!

He's a genuine engineer, and a great communicator. He's already got lots of useful odds and ends for sale, but the fact that he can custom make a part is beyond cool! 3D printing is such a huge boon for keeping old Vanagons on the road.

Thanks for your help, Chris!
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

I've bought several things from Chris and all was a perfect fit! Good job Chris!!

Andy
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Scottn59c wrote:
Chris just made a new version of a long NLA part for my '81 shifter box. It was a part that was made of plastic and it had disintegrated, so Chris had to reverse engineer it!

He's a genuine engineer, and a great communicator. He's already got lots of useful odds and ends for sale, but the fact that he can custom make a part is beyond cool! 3D printing is such a huge boon for keeping old Vanagons on the road.

Thanks for your help, Chris!

How about the plastic "washers" between the tension nut and the spring in the swivel mount for the power window? I could use a couple of those puppies! Very Happy
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
How about the plastic "washers" between the tension nut and the spring in the swivel mount for the power window? I could use a couple of those puppies! Very Happy

email me: [email protected] to discuss. Would you have a part so I can reverse engineer it?

Cheers
Chris

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Question
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791

Last edited by outcaststudios on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Like!

Laughing Chris knows Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Nice to see all you have to offer. I'll be getting that Porsche gauge holder for my Boxster. I need to add a boost gauge and this will give it a nice factory look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Nice to see all you have to offer. I'll be getting that Porsche gauge holder for my Boxster. I need to add a boost gauge and this will give it a nice factory look.

I have a 98 Boxster too. Wink I absolutely love driving it. Oh, and just looking at its curves....

www.uniwerksdesign.com
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Here's an idea. See the thread about dash mounted tweeters?
I see there are pods for tweeters on ebay...
Something that would mount on a Van dash, you know, custom like...
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

unibagel wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

I have a 98 Boxster too. Wink I absolutely love driving it. Oh, and just looking at its curves....

Absolutely love driving mine! Such a nice combination of good looks, good handling and good sounds. Glad to be rid of the stock 2.5, the 1.8t is a much better choice in my opinion.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

I just placed and order with the automatic shifter center piece among some other items, and really looking forward to it's arrival!

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

hey - people with aircooled 911 are looking for rear deck speaker surrounds - 3D print some and stick grills in them

anything brown on the Vanagon is fair game - that stuff cracks and falls apart all the time...
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

corner mount pods for tweeters:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

You’ve got a ton of great stuff and I’m particularly amazed that you have this. It’s just what I need.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for helping us out.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
corner mount pods for tweeters:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

I could make some pods for tweeters, message me and we can work on it. I'll need the dim's of the tweeters and such. [email protected]

www.uniwerksdesign.com
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
You’ve got a ton of great stuff and I’m particularly amazed that you have this. It’s just what I need.

Thanks for helping us out.

A customer asked me to make one of those a while back, I thought it better to source a robust one. I bring those in from Germany. Wink

www.uniwerksdesign.com
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

I've bought some items from Chris, good stuff.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

I've bought some items from Chris also.

Below is his 3d printed blank vent color - modified for rocker switches to control exterior lights, and other goodies.

There are a number of 3d printed idea that I'd like to see. One being a solution for USB outlets for the people on the top westy bunk. I know you have vent solution, but I'd like a spice rack solution. I know this is harder because there are two different spice racks.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: