Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All things uniWerks Design
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

I have this product for iPhone, I need to get some dimensions for Android and modify the design to work for those folks. Wink

https://uniwerksdesign.com/product/vanagon-ashtray-iphone-charge-stand-lightning-cable/

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

I am now testing a new product idea, a hardwired night light for the upper bunk. Would there be interest in this vaguely worded product? LOL.

My daughter likes a nightlight, so I thought this would be an integrated option for cases like that..

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Smile

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

thoughts on nightlight -
features I'd like - a light sensor (ie it turns off automatically once it is light out, my kids leave their night lights on all night, unless I turn them off).

Perhaps a timer?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
my kids leave their night lights on all night, unless I turn them off).

make your kids push start the Van next morning - that will cure the problem
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Chris:

Question for the "color options" of your dash pods: Is your "brown" color a lighter brown whereas most Westy dashes are "dark brown"? I'd like to get a dash pod but if it is a much lighter brown I'd probably pick black. Specifically the ash-try mounted pod.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Yes it is not a match. I have black in my van. I like it. Wink

www.uniwerksdesign.com
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Chris: I'd be interested to know how people are wiring their upper bunk (above the slider) vent units. It's not real obvious to me how to run a wire to that location. I love the idea of your light/level/USB unit.

Also, wouldn't it be cool if that light could come on automatically when the slider is opened. My sliding door switch doesn't do anything and it would be nice to re-purpose it somehow to work with your light with perhaps a 3-way switch so it would work like the driver door light.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Excellent question! I have a 85 Westy Weekender, so I just removed the screws from the headliner, dropped it down slightly and ran a new, fused power wire from my Aux battery. Up the drivers side B pillar, above the headliner and over to the vent channel to provide power for my upper bunk powerpod and an extra set of lights...

www.uniwerksdesign.com
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

unibagel wrote:
I am now testing a new product idea, a hardwired night light for the upper bunk. Would there be interest in this vaguely worded product? LOL.

My daughter likes a nightlight, so I thought this would be an integrated option for cases like that..

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Smile

You won’t be competitive with a battery operated LED.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Well it seems like we all will have a lot of time on our hands in the coming weeks. So here is a bonus and a bonus-bonus for you! I'm running a 10% off sale now through Wednesday. Use coupon code: staythehellhome10.

As a special bonus to the bonus if you spend at-least $30, use an additional coupon code: uniwerksdesignfreebie to get a free uniWerks Design Ringer T-Shirt.(While supplies last) Be sure to put the shirt in your cart to use the coupon!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.uniwerksdesign.com
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Thanks for the deals.

Question. This looks like it snaps into the rigid cardboard headline of a westy? Will it work for a tintop van?

http://uniwerksdesign.com/product/door-light-vanagon/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Can you send me a pic of the hole where your stock door light is?

[email protected]

Cheers
Chris

www.uniwerksdesign.com
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Quote:

http://uniwerksdesign.com/product/door-light-vanagon/

Hey Chris, that looks like a nice product, pretty easy to improve on the flimsy OEM Hella domelight modules but you've done something special with these.

But, looking at your two wire-up concepts, may I offer a third way to wire it?

If you have the power feed come in on the center pole of your dual-throw switch, then one LED could be grounded by the door contact switch, working when the switch is left in that throw, and the other LED would have a direct ground and be turned on by the other switch throw. You'd just have to reverse the connections on the two LED's to correct the polarity.

That way if someone wanted the red light to come on with the door open, the red LED could connect to the door switch grounding circuit, and the dual-throw switch would power that side when selected. Then the switch could power the white LED on its other throw.

Or vice versa. It would be up to the installer.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

You are home and bored, you should really knock out a couple of projects on your Vanagon. Here's some incentive, 10% off now thru Friday midnight EST.... Be sure to do some backyard camping as well! Wink

Coupon code: workonyourdub10

https://uniwerksdesign.com/

www.uniwerksdesign.com
82bessieblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Wanted to give a shout out to Chris for his help in customizing the fridge pod cover to allow mounting of my aux battery monitor! Fits like a glove! Thanks again Chris!

unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

^Looking good Bret!! It was a pleasure working with you to get your design ideas transformed into reality!! Smile

www.uniwerksdesign.com
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

Hi all

I finally got around installing the light pod above the sliding door. Chris was kind enough to modify the design he sells on the website, to include two different colors instead of one, as well as a 3-way switch (ON-OFF-ON). Here's a quick run-down of how I did it:

Here's how it looks in the end. 1/ Remove the air vent cover where you want the light. I chose the front:

2/ Run the wires. I used a pair of wires that came with my radio, small gauge, long enough.

Remove a couple of screws here and there

Run the wire between headliner and roof

Elegant part: you can run the wire in there. Perfect size!

Not elegant part: The wire is visible here. For now (Not sure where to run it concealed though)

Finally, in the cabinet, and to the fusebox behind the driver's seat. They need to make fuses smaller than 5 A now. 1 or 2 A would do here I guess.

Tada!

Perfect for looking for stuff at night without waking everybody up. I wish the white LED's were on the warmer side, but that's me.

Looks great and works great. VicVan happy.
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

I like the over slider light and have been wanting to do this. i think you could run a ground wire down and put a door switch so that the light can be turned on by opening the sliding door. or you could run an extra wire and splice into the door-operated ground on one of the front doors.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

I thought about doing so, and it's definitely possible, lie you've described. I've decided against it because I need to be able to use the lights with the door closed. But with a 3-way switch and only one lighting mode (only white for instance), one could set up the switches just like the front light: ON-OFF-DOOR
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: All things uniWerks Design Reply with quote

shizzon wrote:
I like the over slider light and have been wanting to do this. i think you could run a ground wire down and put a door switch so that the light can be turned on by opening the sliding door. or you could run an extra wire and splice into the door-operated ground on one of the front doors.

Most vans have the hole for the switch and contact spacer on sliding doors Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: