Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UkeGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification Reply with quote

I have been restoring my 68 Ghia and came across a modification to the heat riser tube for the intake manifold. In the image you can see how a part has been welded to the heat riser. I have circled two parts in the image, does anyone know what these parts are for? Wondering if I should keep this modification or pull it out and install new heat risers. This is a single port, single relief engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification Reply with quote

Here is a start for you. Its a throttle positioner/altitude compensator.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641337
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification Reply with quote

Hi,

It's a retrofit EGR system sold by Grancor in the 70's...

Image found on search in hazetguy's Gallery.

Background: in the early 70's, to reduce NOX emissions, the State of California required VW owners to have this devise installed by a licensed installer/station in order to renew the registration or transfer the title.
Although not as effective, most other older liquid cooled cars also got some form of devise or engine mods to reduce NOX.

The system worked to a degree but killed the engine's power. Most have been long ago removed and trashed.

Since your car is now exempt from Smog Check inspection you are free to do as you wish with it.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification Reply with quote

Who woulda thunk?!?!?

Another good day!

I learned something new!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UkeGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification Reply with quote

Thanks Darrel and Bruce for this information on the throttle Positioner and EGR, this is really great info.

Now that I know what it’s called I was able to find it in Bentley too!

I’ve noticed that mine is missing the pull rod (see pic) so it is clearly not doing it’s job right now, I’ll have to see if I can find one or rig something up and I’m also thinking that I will pull out the EGR.

Thanks for the help!
-Jeff
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification Reply with quote

Your missing piece. Cut?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
UkeGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification Reply with quote

Yeah, looks like it was cut but I think it is threaded so hoping that I can find a threaded rod that I can use.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification Reply with quote

Because the rod is threaded right hand thread on one side and left hand thread on the other you will need to find the exact replacement. You will also need a suitable left hand thread lock nut and of course the ball socket as well.

You might try searching the Classifieds or place a WTB ad.

Another option is go to your local self service salvage yard and look around in the foreign section.
By looks it appears very similar to the throttle rod from most 80's to 90's Volvo 4-cylinders with fuel injection. Very common in these cars, anything from a 240, 740 or 940 is the same and should give you everything you need except the vacuum pot itself.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
UkeGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce for the info on the left hand threading...learning new things all of the time Smile

-Jeff
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Modification to Intake Manifold Heat Riser-Parts Identification Reply with quote

They are actually nice to have working instead of backfiring when decelerating.
Who wants to hear that Pop Pop..
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: