Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage vs new school tires
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WADVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Vintage vs new school tires Reply with quote

I apologize if this has been covered to death and I didn’t pick up on it in my searches on the topic..

Do the newer designed performance tires handle as good or better than the vintage stuff for the VW type1 or is there something said for the vintage stuff beyond appearance?

I am looking at replacement tires and initially was searching readily available tires for cars still in production or at least recently. Ie Mini Cooper and small sedans such as MK3/4 Jettas. I plan on a moderately staggered setup using 4/4.5” width front wheels and 5.5” rear to better fill the gap on my moderately lowered ‘66 type1. I have a set of 145s un mounted that I bought and never installed because their narrowness kind of scares me but maybe they are fine? This car only is used in nice weather(but should be prepared for rain storms) and not many miles.

I ended up researching vintage tires and found a lot of people that swear by them, mainly Porsche people that are looking for period correctness in both appearance and performance. But in that search I found sizes that will work well for me i think such as 155r15 or 170/70r15s for the front and 165r15s and 185/70r15s for rear use. Not saying I’m interested in paying $300+ per tire for Michelin ZWXs but Pirelli’s or Vredestein Spirit Classic.

I am not necessarily concerned with period correctness at this point but a tire that will perform well and work with the VW suspension design and weight during “spirited” driving and possibly even some autocross if I get that far.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage vs new school tires Reply with quote

We run General Altimax on her 61 (185 in front and 205 rear) but 2" narrowed beam and 5.5" wheels all around. They work very well for a relatively inexpensive street tire. For customer cars with mild lowering, I routinely use 165s in the front on with 4.5" wheels and up to 205s on the rear with a 5.5" wheel. Its nice having a little more rubber on the back since all the weight is back there.

That being said, I have a personal 66 project that I hope to tear into later this year that I plan to autocross. Will use a 2" narrowed beam, 3/4" sway bar with at least 185s on 5.5 in front and will see if I can stuff more than a 205 in the rear. Have not spent the time yet to look at tire options for this car. What sucks are the performance tires that I loved on my Golf or WRXs are not available in the sizes that I want.

If you are interested in improving handling, look at shock options. I will probably use KYB Excels in front (These are my default replacement shock) and KYB Gas Adjusts in the rear along with a rear camber compensator or a real sway bar. Shocks are debated to death on here. I use what I have found works well and a good handling car is important to me. Can't say enough about upgrading the sway bar in front.

Also take a look at tech articles at aircooled.net. John has some nice tips on there.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WADVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage vs new school tires Reply with quote

Thanks, I’ve ordered some 5.5” 356 style knockoffs from Cip1 to test clearances and see if they’re as bad as some have reported. With as much as this car gets driven I even considered AVON CR6ZZ’s in a 175/70R15 for the front and 185/70R15 for the rear but the tread has me skeptical of getting caught out in the rain which is pretty normal around here.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage vs new school tires Reply with quote

Big thing is to watch the wheel backspacing/offset. Like on VW factory sport wheels, they ran a 5.5" on Supers, which are a bitch, but the offset was such that it worked. But I also believe that there are 2 different offsets. Most of the aftermarket 5.5 have 3.5 to 4" backspacing. I personally hate dealing with the offset value instead of backspacing....

And if you can deal with a lower profile in front consider a 185/60. Assuming your wheels will work. And I also mentioned the 205/65 for the rear.

Just stuff to ponder
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: