Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball Hitch to 2" Receiver Ideas/Suggestions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Hitch to 2" Receiver Ideas/Suggestions Reply with quote

We have a Burley hitch with 2" receiver and a Rola tray, but anything can be added to a 2" receiver.
It's a wonderful item and we heartily recommend it.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Hitch to 2" Receiver Ideas/Suggestions Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:
I think I've decided to wait until I can buy the needed parts from RMW and do it right. It's the perfect solution to my needs and will all swing away when I want to put up my Add-a-Room tent in the back, and won't be in the way in general. Also no departure angle issues on those hilly Forest Service roads. It'll cost about 4 times as much as a cheapo solution, but I've gotten in trouble before when I try to go for the instant gratification. The whole point is to not have to keep my generator (Wen 56202i) and gas can (FuelPax 3.5 gal.) inside the van, or have to heft it up to the roof rack (BajaRack MegaMule) which I have pretty much all of that space reserved for other stuff.

I plan on moving into the van full-time in the next year or two and am trying to get everything sorted out before I make the plunge. The measurements of the RMW tray will hold the generator and up to 2 Fuelpax perfectly, so I think it's the wise choice, along with a cable and lock. However, I reserve the right to change my mind Smile. I appreciate everyone's input and would welcome any additional suggestions/comments!

Switchback Rack Parts Needed:
- SWITCHBACK RACK UPPER SPINE - $179
- SWITCHBACK RACK TIRE MOUNT PLATE - $29.95
- driver side tray adapter $74.95
- tray $124
$407.90 Total + tax Crying or Very sad

Below is a very poorly Photoshopped image of how it would look (with the tray folded up).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

UPDATE:
I did upgrade my swing-away as I described above. It's worked out very well and pretty much matches my Photoshop version. It holds everything I wanted it to, including my generator & tools (both covered by the generator cover) and two 3.5 gal. gas cans. I've since adjusted the Trasharoo to be a little higher so it's not touching the cargo in the tray. Using the cutouts in the tray design, I'm able to route a cable lock through the generator and tool kit handles and still put the cover over both. I have another cable lock securing both the gas cans to the tubing of the swing-out. Using a couple of ratchet straps, it's all very secure and won't bounce around off-road. Overall I'm very happy with the upgrades and I won't have to worry about dragging a hitch-mounted tray when starting up a steep hill. All it takes is money!

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Hitch to 2" Receiver Ideas/Suggestions Reply with quote

I'd still weld a hitch receiver to your ball hitch. It's just so much more useful. That is what I did to the ball hitch bar that came with the van.

Your van is looking pretty cool with the swing outs though!
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Hitch to 2" Receiver Ideas/Suggestions Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: