Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blinkwatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

Hi, I redid a lot of the brake work on my 70' Beetle, except the brake fluid reservoir line, I though I might be able to reuse them... I have a dual circuit fluid reservoir. The cloth line that attaches to the brake master cylinder is leaking badly. Does anyone know the size? I'm going to just R & R both cloth lines, the attached steel lines and the cloth lines connecting the brake fluid reservoir. The cloth is old and looks like the rubber beneath it is cracking. Does anyone know the size of the line to order? Also can the cloth line be ran all the way from the reservoir to the BMC? I don't see the point of the steel line between them and I see in some pics around the web some peeps have cloth line all the way through.

Is it the same style cloth line that is used for the fuel line? Honestly it doesn't have to be same as OEM, as long as it looks clean and works. If there is another hose set up with a clamp I'm fine with that as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

Brake hose is different than brake line. Do NOT use fuel line for this application.

You can buy this brake line (hose) at most VW vendors on line. Just search “brake hose” when you get to their online sites.

I’d reuse the hard lines in the middle, unless it’s rusted out. VW apparently had a reason for doing so.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

They did it because steel line is cheaper than that rubber hose.

I've had fuel hose in my buggy for 10 years. The grommets in the master are shot, but the hose is fine.

brad
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

They ran the metal hard line through that body section by the fuel tank. They put some sort of sealant in there. Possibly it was easier to put the hard line in there and seal around it, and have it all stay firm. I suppose you could run the blue flexible brake line all the way up. Seal it up somehow so it doesn't move around and end up chaffing through.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

This is a good replacement
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611801A
Try to get what you have as a replacement.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

avoid anything with a hose clamp...outlets on the master and resevoir are pretty soft plastic and can crush easily...for years i just used type III fuel line on them with no problems at all(also only using ATE or castrol fluid)...but the quality of braided hose available lately has not been good to the point that i wont use it for fuel line either ...so just get the right stuff
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

Yes, must use the correct hose.

I replaced the brake hoses on my own 1970 a few years ago; hoses are used not just at the bottom connection but also about half-way down. You can see one of the original upper hoses in this photo (gas tank removed), right side of photo just pass the steering column collapsible part.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

The original brake fluid hose is blue color. I have heard there is brake fluid hose now that is black. But fuel hose can also be found in black.

You want brake fluid compatible hose.

Now I dont know this as fact, but I suspect the fluoropolymer lined new fangled fuel hose maybe ok with brake fluid BUT I prefer to stick with hose designed for brake fluid.

If the hose is not compatible and breaks down, rubber bits could contaminate the brake system and that would be a big mess.

For me, Id opt for the blue brake fluid hose. Id choose blue over black brake hose, as the black hose could be confused with fuel hose. Having it blue is a good reminder to not mix the types of hoses up.

any way, Good Luck

Bug On! Stopping Shirley! And just exactly who is Shirley and why should she be stopped?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
blinkwatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

Are the cloth fuel lines shared anywhere else in the car? Should I look into ordering more than needed? Or would it be money wasted?

Thank you
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

no just a small piece of blue stuff for the brakes...all the fuel line on your car is a smaller diameter...and the vacuum lines even smaller...if you can source genuine Continental brand fuel line from the same place as the blue brake hose you might as well order it while you're at it...not exactly stuff you can find at auto zone....the link gt1953 showed is not for what you need...it shows the skinnier line for a pre-66...but WW should be a good source for what you actually need...part # 211 611 801 at $4.50 per foot
blinkwatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

Thank you to the members that chimed in and the member that shipped me a piece of cloth line. I R & R the cloth brake lines today and they were badly cracked.

Back on Track. Smile
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

So the blue brake line pieces simply slide over the metal sections with
no clamps, and there are three locations of blue between the reservoir and master cylinder, for a total of six blue pieces... correct?

Do the blue pieces just pull off at the connections to the master cylinder?
I don't want to break something...

Sure would be easier for one continuous line from reservoir to master cylinder, and reduced possible leak locations. But I want to do it right, and I sure do want the Bug to stop when I push that pedal!

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

I believe the “blue” brake line has been replaced with “black” (not to be confused with black fuel line).

And, yes, the old line just pulls off, and the new line presses on—with the help of some brake fluid for lubrication. No clamps necessary, since there is no pressure on the feeder lines.

The plastic nipples on the master cylinder may pop out. If so, just push them back in.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

In some case the hose just does not pull off and needs to be sliced with a cutter. I have twisted the plastic nipple till it broke off just to see which would give first Wink
Wet with brake fluid to install, it is a tight fit.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Brake Fluid Line Cloth Reply with quote

Thanks Tim and Rick. For the price of the parts, I went ahead and ordered new plugs and nipples for the master cylinder also. I figured while I'm at it why not.
Wolfsburg West sells the blue hose by the foot, not cheap but the correct stuff.
Appreciate the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: