Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Questions re AH 1600dp?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Timing Questions re AH 1600dp? Reply with quote

Hey Volks,

Questions, questions...

I have an AH317186 1600dp that is supposed to have come out of a 73 Super Beetle. It has a Solex 34-Pict 3 carb (VW 343-3). The distributor is a VW 0 231 170 034 single vacuum.

Is this the stock distributor and carb for this motor ya think? Will they at least work well together?

And what should I be shooting for regarding baseline timing? 5 degrees ATDC? Or 7.5 degrees BTDC?

I have three notches on the motor side of my pulley and no dimple on the bumper side. Not sure what the notches mean? Is one of them TDC or are they all three timing degrees?

I have read and read and I seem to be getting conflicting information.... and my eyes are starting to cross...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Questions re AH 1600dp? Reply with quote

MountainKeep wrote:
I have an AH317186 1600dp that is supposed to have come out of a 73 Super Beetle. It has a Solex 34-Pict 3 carb (VW 343-3). The distributor is a VW 0 231 170 034 single vacuum.

Is this the stock distributor and carb for this motor ya think? Will they at least work well together?

Here is a table from glutamodo with carb base flange#s by year and their matching distributors:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW 343-3 appears to be the original carb for a '73 California Autostick Beetle which came with a DVDA distributor (205AH).
Your SVDA distributor (if original Bosch) is from a '73-'74 48-state manual transmission Beetle. So it does NOT match your carb. These two are not 100% compatible. The DVDA carbs came with a larger hole thru the throttle plate to allow the engine to idle with a retarded timing. There is a thread on modifying the throttle plate hole to allow the DVDA carb to work well with an SVDA distributor. Can you run the SVDA with that carb, yes. But you may experience off idle hesitation until you fix the hole in the throttle plate.

MountainKeep wrote:
And what should I be shooting for regarding baseline timing? 5 degrees ATDC? Or 7.5 degrees BTDC?

I have three notches on the motor side of my pulley and no dimple on the bumper side. Not sure what the notches mean? Is one of them TDC or are they all three timing degrees?

If you have the original carb and original distributor then you can use the manual recommend timing for your car's model year. But if you change either (as in your case) you want to set timing based on the distributor model installed.
See this link for your distributor specs ('74 48-state man trans):
http://www.type2.com/~keen/ignition.html#A1974MFD
If you are going to use that distributor, set the timing based on the distributor, not the engine or model year. Those SVDA distributors are set at "7.5deg BTDC @ 800-950rpm w/strobe and w/single vacuum hose disconnected and plugged".

Your pulley sounds like the '66-'70 pulley with 3 notches. See this table:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This suggests your pulley is not original to your engine?
CCW most notch is TDC. Middle notch is 7.5BTDC (correct mark for your distributor) and the CW most notch is 10BTDC.

If you want to be 100% certain, get a TDC tool and insert it into #1 spark plug hole just enough so that it hits the top of the piston a few degrees before TDC. Pencil mark the case split on the pulley. Rotate the crank almost 360deg in the opposite direction until the piston once more contacts the tool. Mark a second pencil mark on the pulley. Your TDC mark should be exactly half-way between these two pencil marks. If it is, great! If not, make a new TDC mark at the half-way point.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}

Last edited by ashman40 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Questions re AH 1600dp? Reply with quote

Here's the thread with a chart which specifies what car and distributor went with what years in the beetle.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

Here's what those notches mean

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251672

Timing is based off of the distributor you install, not the engine or year. Most important is the max mechanical timing with the engine reved and timing light used. 30* Max, 32* if you feel spunky.

All of the above resources can be found under the stickies link at the top of the forum page.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183060
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Questions re AH 1600dp? Reply with quote

To clarify for everyone reading this, it’s a 73 bug engine going in a heavy 71 Campmobile.

I see you forgot I PM’d you all this info back in January Wink Laughing

This is one of the links I sent you in regards to induction for your heavy bus.
Getting the subtle nuances of these engines in order can be the difference of great, good, and fair performance. Pay special attention to wcfvw69 responses in the link.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...11513acafd

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Questions re AH 1600dp? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
To clarify for everyone reading this, it’s a 73 bug engine going in a heavy 71 Campmobile.

Thanks for narcin' on me there Xevin! They would have never known if you hadn't told them... unless of course they happened to have read my signature line that is. Next you'll be telling them that I weigh 275 pounds too! Laughing

Thanks for all the information everyone (even Xevin). Although I was really hoping to make what I have work, it's looking like I will need to replace either the carb or the distributor.. maybe both.

In the interest of my long range plan to return to stock, perhaps I should consider this https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2352415
and a new wife, because this one will leave me if I spend anymore money...
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Questions re AH 1600dp? Reply with quote

If you are considering modifying your DVDA carb to work better with your SVDA distributor, read these threads and the links within them...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340069
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365762
They describe how to make the throttle plate hole smaller. The easy way is to use a pop rivet to fill the hole and drill the proper (smaller) size hole into the center of the rivet. No need to disassemble the carb, just remove the carb from the intake to install and drill the rivet.

Of course you could just try running the two together at 7.5BTDC idle timing and if they work "good enough", just leave it that way. Wink
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Questions re AH 1600dp? Reply with quote

I think the reason you’re getting conflicting info and crossed eyeballs could be because there are multiple ways to skin many cats. Laughing

Give the current carb and distributor a shot. Time it to 28* max advance with both hoses off and tune the carb with the Bentley instructions. You may be surprised with how well some parts work together. It will CERTAINLY buy you time with a running car so you can figure out your engine’s needs in the mean time.

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Questions re AH 1600dp? Reply with quote

Funny you should post that now Robbie... I was just about to provide everyone with an update.

I finished up a tune-up and carb adjustment this afternoon and the old girl is running and driving surprisingly well now. I am certainly going to give this set up a chance first.

I only statically tuned it to 7.5* before TDC. I have a timing light on the way and will try and hone in on more precise tuning when it arrives. I was pretty happy with the motor's performance though as is.. it didn't seem to have any flat spots during acceleration.. good power.. and idled well with only a small "poot poot" sound... I still have to adjust the valves so I'm hoping that will help with that. I dove it up and down hills for some time and when I got back, I was still able to pinch and hold on to the oily end of the dipstick... so it seems to like where I have things now fairly well I'd say.

As usual, many thanks to everyone for all their help!
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Questions re AH 1600dp? Reply with quote

Excellent, now try to get ahead of spending problems by saving for a set of dual one barrel carbs! There's no such thing as being done spending!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: