Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Last week I contact a person on Facebook Marketplace about a set of original fenders he supposedly has. As if available and if so, what availability and the address? Get a reply of a very general location. Ask again when available and address, no answer for a day. Eventually on Sunday goes from Peoria North Peoria, still no address, though does seem to suggest today. So, I do little projects so can be available for the hour drive. Day getting late, send a message, eventually get back that he is still figuring. What?!

Told him got a week to do figuring and let me know if wants to sell.

I remember going on Craigslist and within about 12 hours, sometimes same day, have a time and place. Is this normal now for sellers to be difficult?

Just feel best to pay more than cost to get a set of Martin hammers and dollies and see if can get the creases out, probably take less time!

Thanks for letting me bitch and appreciate any input, I do have some social difficulty as bet some already aware from my previous posts.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

He probably has someone who may pay more so he's stringing you along for now.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
He probably has someone who may pay more so he's stringing you along for now.

Ah, well that would make sense with what he said about those from East Mesa backing out (told him only an hour drive). Appreciated, can be naive most of the time. At least now know no point of wasting anymore time.

Hopefully get a reply on how to start the bodywork, otherwise my guess be to do the body pull first, then work out any remaining dents.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Maybe he is the guy that keeps asking if it's still available and then you never hear from him again.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

This nonsense goes both ways. Annoying fact of life Brick wall

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
This nonsense goes both ways. Annoying fact of life Brick wall

Yes, I realize my part was thinking he was serious about selling parts. Rolling Eyes Lesson I will not forget, second time playing games, be done and move on.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Maybe he is the guy that keeps asking if it's still available and then you never hear from him again.
I know that guy........sometimes he even asks me for my PayPal address.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

some people are just totaly clueless.... like the guy selling but not selling and cant tell you how to get to his trailer in the woods.....to not buy the parts he isant selling but has a add to sell them... he must be just testing the watters....I hope he and his non selling and clueless buddys all drown or GTE eaten by sharks while testing the waters....hmm better yet gators!!!! I went to GA this last friday to get some tail...georiga peaches...need I say more.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

He could be crook too and just wants someone from out of state to send him a check.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Feel free to let me know what and who you want it from. I'll take the hassle out of buying parts.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

I'm going to say it's this seller and not you and not a general issue with all sellers.

I've bought various things off craigslist and some people are just flaky.
I've given up a few times on trying to get stuff from a few sellers.
They won't set up a time, they don't reply for days or a week.
They clearly don't care about selling.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

I think it has more to do with a general lack of courtesy in our age of instant gratification.

It doesn't take much effort to notify a buyer or seller that a part is no longer for sale or needed. You may even make a new friend on the way. But why would you need a friend when you have a phone, tablet and laptop?
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

I come across these people all the time.

There's this one guy in Arizona I spoke with and he was trying to sell everything off to retire. He told me he was pissed off with a distributor rebuilder because the rebuilder asked him to make a list of the distributors he had. After he went through all the work the rebuilder offered him a really low price. As I recall it was something like $5 each. You can't ask people to go through everything they have and create a list for $5 each.

The courtesy bit goes both ways. It's on both the buying and the selling side.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

There's this one guy in Arizona I spoke with and he was trying to sell everything off to retire. He told me he was pissed off with a distributor rebuilder because the rebuilder asked him to make a list of the distributors he had. After he went through all the work the rebuilder offered him a really low price. As I recall it was something like $5 each. You can't ask people to go through everything they have and create a list for $5 each.

Sounds like the distributors were all later model aluminum. As you and I both know, late model aluminum cores are not worth much since their percentage of ones with excessive wear, bad vacuum canisters and not rebuildable is high. These are the major reason i don't buy them.

Pictures don't tell the story and even when you have them in your hand you don't know what you have until you have them apart on your workbench.

Also rebuilders buy wholesale, this is why you see people selling quantity usually understand they will get 25¢ on the dollar. This is because you cane get 25% of not usable parts. The seller also has to realize that they are dealing with one transaction and not 20 different people.

Sellers need to do some work and properly describe what they are selling and detailed pictures help. The better you can ensure the quality of the item the better price you'll get. I'll pay more for a item in my hand then one that's poorly described with not pictures.

As to your specific person, I find some people who are retiring are trying to maximize the value of the crap they have by expecting huge profit. They are just not reasonable. I've been selling off some of my stash of parts in the past 2 years and most sells quickly because I post detailed description, plenty of pictures and reasonable price.

Also I am contacted by sellers where i ask for inventory and pictures so i can figure a value and make what I feel is a reasonable offer. Sometime we come to an agreement and others we don't. I simply end the discussion that it's just business and nothing personal.

Finally i've also had people ask way too less, so I tell them its worth more and pay them a fair price.

Karma is a B!TCH.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, sellers and buyers can be unreasonable.

Yes, sellers think their crap is worth its weight in gold.

Yes, buyers do low ball.

Yes, both sides like to complain after the transaction.

Don't take the BS personal... if a transaction is not going the way you want, just MOVE ON.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
heimlich wrote:

Sounds like the distributors were all later model aluminum. As you and I both know, late model aluminum cores are not worth much since their percentage of ones with excessive wear, bad vacuum canisters and not rebuildable is high. These are the major reason i don't buy them.

Pictures don't tell the story and even when you have them in your hand you don't know what you have until you have them apart on your workbench.

Also rebuilders buy wholesale, this is why you see people selling quantity usually understand they will get 25¢ on the dollar. This is because you cane get 25% of not usable parts. The seller also has to realize that they are dealing with one transaction and not 20 different people.

Sellers need to do some work and properly describe what they are selling and detailed pictures help. The better you can ensure the quality of the item the better price you'll get. I'll pay more for a item in my hand then one that's poorly described with not pictures.

As to your specific person, I find some people who are retiring are trying to maximize the value of the crap they have by expecting huge profit. They are just not reasonable. I've been selling off some of my stash of parts in the past 2 years and most sells quickly because I post detailed description, plenty of pictures and reasonable price.

Also I am contacted by sellers where i ask for inventory and pictures so i can figure a value and make what I feel is a reasonable offer. Sometime we come to an agreement and others we don't. I simply end the discussion that it's just business and nothing personal.

Finally i've also had people ask way too less, so I tell them its worth more and pay them a fair price.

Karma is a B!TCH.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, buyers do low ball.

Don't take the BS personal... if a transaction is not going the way you want, just MOVE ON.

^^^^^ this

Ebay is the ultra convenient sales platform for lazy or just plain busy people.

Some people wake up one morning and say...."Eh....I gotta get rid of some of this junk and maybe get some cash".

They spend five minutes and take 4 crappy shots with their phone....upload.....and go back to whatever it is they do. Far too many figure.....itll take care of itself.....and its a free service....so wtf.

I have found people selling things on ebay.....that do not respond for 2-3 weeks when you havd a question of any kind. I have seen adds whsre they have a buy it now price AND a best offer tag. Usually my questions are like....."can you ship two and save shipping?" Or " can you snap a pic of the part # or just tell me what it reads?"

No answer for a week or so at a time. When you finally get them on the line.....they are like...."sorry.....been busy... or forgot to check my e-mails".

These people are not really that into parts or selling parts. Its just another thing they do and its not of primary importance. Lazy.
Ray
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

My goodness there are so many replies Gmail didn't make me aware of and takes a huge load off, been stress sick and now feeling so much better. Silly I know, though worry a lot about what I do wrong in oblivious ignorance.

mark tucker wrote:
some people are just totaly clueless.... like the guy selling but not selling and cant tell you how to get to his trailer in the woods.....to not buy the parts he isant selling but has a add to sell them... he must be just testing the watters....I hope he and his non selling and clueless buddys all drown or GTE eaten by sharks while testing the waters....hmm better yet gators!!!! I went to GA this last friday to get some tail...georiga peaches...need I say more.

I prefer apricots, good compromise of fuzz. Razz

jeffrey8164 wrote:
He could be crook too and just wants someone from out of state to send him a check.

Crossed my mind, checked his timeline, and seemed to be normal person, so continued until thanks to y'all recommended I quit. Has crossed my mind to report him to Facebook.

heimlich wrote:
Feel free to let me know what and who you want it from. I'll take the hassle out of buying parts.

Appreciate the offer.

EverettB wrote:
I'm going to say it's this seller and not you and not a general issue with all sellers.

I've bought various things off craigslist and some people are just flaky.
I've given up a few times on trying to get stuff from a few sellers.
They won't set up a time, they don't reply for days or a week.
They clearly don't care about selling.

Do appreciate knowing not me. I did feel didn't want to sell and thus my comment to him he had six days to decide if did want to sell (feeling didn't want to).

Bulli Klinik wrote:
I think it has more to do with a general lack of courtesy in our age of instant gratification.

It doesn't take much effort to notify a buyer or seller that a part is no longer for sale or needed. You may even make a new friend on the way. But why would you need a friend when you have a phone, tablet and laptop?

That would make perfect sense. My opinion of them is friendship is super casual, shallow, and maybe even plastic. Take for example these people that have thousands of Facebook friends and don't know most of them. Shocked Myself, when someone I thought was my friend decides to leave or get nasty, fine, I have several really good friends who if were able, truly help me. And no wonder America is so messed up and wants the damn Government to take care of almost every need or their President to be their Pastor. Rolling Eyes

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

What a jerk, even I know this!

Also, I say it also means if you are trying to sell a collection at top dollar, have a list. I came across someone so angry about how always getting low offers, yet when asked for a price on his hoard of D-Jetronic parts, refused. Rolling Eyes

heimlich wrote:

I try to be the most polite as they are doing me a favor of selling the parts.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
heimlich wrote:

Karma is a B!TCH.

Yes, buyers do low ball.

I agree, if way low, help them. My Dad pinched pennies so hard you could hear Abraham Lincoln in pain, yet, one day when buying wheel ramps, paid more than asking. He said it looked like he could do with Christmas money for his children. Has always stuck with me.

And yes, have moved on.

Oh and Ruby had her cast iron distributor stolen by Dad's "sister" and with the cost to change back, rather keep the 034M she has now because dual advance and works.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Glenn wrote:
heimlich wrote:

Karma is a B!TCH.

Yes, buyers do low ball.

^^^^^ this

Ebay is the ultra convenient sales platform for lazy or just plain busy people.

Some people wake up one morning and say...."Eh....I gotta get rid of some of this junk and maybe get some cash".

They spend five minutes and take 4 crappy shots with their phone....upload.....and go back to whatever it is they do. Far too many figure.....itll take care of itself.....and its a free service....so wtf.

I have found people selling things on ebay.....that do not respond for 2-3 weeks when you havd a question of any kind. I have seen adds whsre they have a buy it now price AND a best offer tag. Usually my questions are like....."can you ship two and save shipping?" Or " can you snap a pic of the part # or just tell me what it reads?"

No answer for a week or so at a time. When you finally get them on the line.....they are like...."sorry.....been busy... or forgot to check my e-mails".

These people are not really that into parts or selling parts. Its just another thing they do and its not of primary importance. Lazy.
Ray

Ebay has gotten better in buyer protection and also now I know to inquire about using Fedex for delicate items. Gotten some amazing deals, like a Sax Fifth Ave. Loro Piana 100 percent cashmere overcoat in perfect condition for $35 (even better is it is an olive green rather than the usual navy). Have been looking on there for the fenders (mainly looking for driver front) to no avail.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

ebay is a hit & miss. sometimes you get a reply,sometimes you dont . sometimes you get a great deal sometimes they get you. sometimes you never get squat and ebay gets torefund your$$ thats been tied up for months sometimes. sometimes it takes months like 89 days to get all of what you ordered and it's not all it was suposed to be...but...you want it. and sometimes you get your order from china in 2 days and the order a week earlyer a state away hasent arived yet and the china was free shipping.... and on rare occassions you get a awesome deal on just want you thought you were ordering.... last week I ordered a kent moore tool to pull differential bearing cup/races...the numkber is wright. but no effing way this will spread open far enough to pull these bearings... and yes it has the kent more number on it that this rear end is supposed to take.....go figure. and the reply is....file a dispute and pay for shipping both ways we will refund the item price when we get it back.... and the shipping was more than the tool in the first place...( many sellers charge way more for shipping some do some dont) so..I have to find another and buy it. and stick this in my box.( currently waiting for 3 days for a responce from aseller on a bigger puller..... so...no I dont know why it's so effing hard to sell parts... just try buying them!!!!EEERRRRRRRR Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: