Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

You find murderers on Craigslist - Laughing

Ebay can be wonderful. I found all my toolings on Ebay. BAck in the day, you can get nice firearm parts on Ebay. These days - if you even mention anything AR or the like you are locked out.

If they trully want to sell, they will answer. Just depends which one of you are more desperate the buyer or seller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Iouweegeian...Yess...sometims,sometimnes Ill deferr to you. as for nurser... hmm I dont have any issues with ebay &AR stuff. I was looken at AR the other day t buy. but he dont want to deal on it..yet. not locked out... it wood bee nice to have a extra AR just incase.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

And folks simply don't realize that slapping something up for sale actually often does require I n t e r a c t I o n. Whether the deal's great good or fair- If a seller only gives two-word, cryptic responses to questions that need only 5 words to make perfect sense, I bail on them. Every time. They don't deserve my money.

As for swaps.. If I'm looking at a part I want with no price and the seller says, "what do you want to give me?" I'll often reply, "more than any of these other assholes, I drove 10 hours yesterday to get here." There's a laugh and usually a decent deal.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
And folks simply don't realize that slapping something up for sale actually often does require I n t e r a c t I o n. Whether the deal's great good or fair- If a seller only gives two-word, cryptic responses to questions that need only 5 words to make perfect sense, I bail on them. Every time. They don't deserve my money.

As for swaps.. If I'm looking at a part I want with no price and the seller says, "what do you want to give me?" I'll often reply, "more than any of these other assholes, I drove 10 hours yesterday to get here." There's a laugh and usually a decent deal.

"Do these fit 58-61 or 62-66?"

"Yes"

Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
hitest wrote:

"Do these fit 58-61 or 62-66?"

"Yes"

Very Happy

Yea, Compound Questions. I asked them too from time to time. But, those types of "yes" or "no" replies are BS - written vs. spoken English; and they know what you mean and still respond like an asshat. I hate people, but I do like (a) person(s) hahaha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Yes, if I have to become a dental surgeon to get information, I move on.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

hey I got the rong tools!!!! now , but then somebody responded after about 3 days on the one they have and...they are the right size!! and 3 days lator...I gots them!!! so 2 tools 1 right 1 rong for less than $30..kent more gets over $100 for each( Ive seen prices above $200 for them) and of coarse mine were used...well the rong one was used the right one is new unused from a dealer ship obama closed down..... no I dont know that for sure , but they were from a defunct gm dealer service dept.( probably not obama's fault)
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

A woman email asking if i had a 1600cc engine for sale.
I said no currently,but i have a fresh 1641cc and a couple good 1500cc avail.

sent her pics of all the engines.

her next reply was, will it bolt up to her '79 vw bus.....SMH Rolling Eyes

well....It will....but....

Quite often, ppl email without any idea of what they are asking for..

"how much for a short block?" "does it come with valve covers?"

"will your narrowed ball joint beam fit my '62?" will if fit my bus?"

sometime it takes 10-20 back and forth "educating", son fully understand giving a simple NO or Yes as a reply when its obvious if the buys knows what they are trying to buy.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Ive had the same with buyers. Last 3 or 4 things I tried to sell, they didnt even show up.

That's why I always give an address down the block. 😂
The is it still for sale guy is the worst. 😖
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

I had a WTB ad here in the classifieds for a rear Vanagon gray table, willing to pay top market for a nice table plus shipping. I live in the bay area and was in Phoenix over the holidays and get a reply from a guy with what he says is a perfect gray table for $150.00. Perfect send me some detailed pics and maybe I can pick it up in LA on my way home. No reply, Radio silence.
After being home for 2 days I get an E mail that he his home and I can come pick it up. No pictures and he informs me that he is unwilling to ship the item as he is too busy, but conceded to drop it at U pots store if I paid him upfront in full. I said fine, send me some detailed pics ( top side,bottom and edges) He send me a picture of a front and rear table leaning up against his garage. I reply is that for both able and he quips " No as I told you just the rear" again I ask for detailed pics and he says to call him so we can talk about exactly what I want.
That evening someone else responds to my Ad with decent table which is close to me for $50.00, they were willing to ship but I decided to go for a short drive and pick it up. Easy deal and all done in under 24 hours. Not that hard.
I responded back to number one and let him know I'd bought another table, which I think was more then courteous as he response time had been about a week.
If you can't take a picture and don't want to ship then have a yard sale on Sunday but don't try to sell on line. My god I've send to seats Thailand and suspension parts to GB.

Rant off
Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
jason wrote:
Ive had the same with buyers. Last 3 or 4 things I tried to sell, they didnt even show up.

Second only to the “ I’ve sold it but not bothered to take my ad down because none of the time wasted by people still looking is relevant to me, guy”
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
QRP wrote:
jason wrote:

Second only to the “ I’ve sold it but not bothered to take my ad down because none of the time wasted by people still looking is relevant to me, guy”

If it's on this site, please hit Report in the ad if the seller said it was sold and the ad is still running. I will contact the seller about removing it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

what about if there just thinking about selling it and testing the watters??? Rolling Eyes
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
what about if there just thinking about selling it and testing the watters??? Rolling Eyes

Aka how big a sucker can I land?

In my state if you sell more than 5 a year you are a dealer. Flippers who get caught trying seal without a license are treated harshly.

You also have to transfer title from your name to the new owner, not the guy you bought it from
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

My issue is with sellers listing parts for sale for weeks or months and when I finally inquire about the part I get "it's been sold". BUT the frik'n ad is still up. Take the ad down if the parts been sold!
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:
My issue is with sellers listing parts for sale for weeks or months and when I finally inquire about the part I get "it's been sold". BUT the frik'n ad is still up. Take the ad down if the parts been sold!

What's worse is the speculator who prices a car or part way above market value, hoping that someone desperate enough to pay their asking price comes along. However, they never let the market catch up to their asking price, and instead continue to jack up the price year-to-year.

We have people like that where we live who immediately place their house on the market the day they close on it. 20 years later the house is still for sale. Wonder why?
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
QRP wrote:
jason wrote:

Just happened to me as well. I asked about shipping costs for an item listed here. Got a response, made a counter offer and was turned down. I responded right back stating I would pay the quoted price, only to get a response a week later that he "sold it locally", but is still listed on here. Rolling Eyes
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

It goes both ways. Sellers & buyers...

Way too many flakes on FB and Craigslist, forget about it.

I try and stay away from most of the nuts in my neck of the woods anyhow.

I only sell on here anymore.

I figure, if people are looking on here they often know exactly what they want and will pay for it to get to them.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

When I get people who say they've sold an item and have not removed I just hit the report button in the ad and state that item is sold and it will be removed.
The Administrators are really good about keeping everything clean.
It's also a wake up call to the seller to stop being a Jerk.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

It seems to be as hard to sell parts as it is a whole vehicle. I have called a guy 3 times and haven’t had a call back. I even pm’d him and he logged in yesterday. I guess he doesn’t want to sell it.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: