Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle idle issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robp1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

I'm a little lost trying to get the beetle idling properly when engine temp somewhere between cold and warm. 1776, Engle 100, refurbished German 34pict3 from Volkzbitz, refurbished German 034 SVDA from Bill. 135 main, 65 idle and 75 air correction Jets. Valve clearance set, base timing 7.5 btdc. Car cold starts easy, runs rough for a couple minutes then smoothes out. As it warms up as soon as the choke releases and it comes of the high idle cam it doesn't want to idle until fully warm. When warm it idles at 900rpm but will drop below that momentarily as the throttle is released then recover when pulling to a stop. Do I start with adjusting the choke a little tighter? I'm at a loss here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

I am betting the throttle plate stop screw is incorrectly set. I would start with setting the basics. Check for any vacuum leaks. Then go through fine tuning.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
robp1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

Okay I'll start from the beginning. I've never checked the throttle plate stop screw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

I have that same carb and distributor combo from those same two people. I started the tuning process by backing the throttle plate stop screw out until it was not touching the fast idle cam at all. You need to make sure the throttle plate is closing completely so that it covers the bottom most progression hole in the throat of the carb. The best timing set-up I got was with vacuum hose off and plugged, with a timing light at 30-32 degrees at max advance. This produced a strong high idle that I was able to then tune the carb with (small screw), and then set my idle with the bypass screw. Then once warmed up, I screwed the throttle plate stop screw in until it barely touched the bottom cam of the fast idle cam.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104

Last edited by beetlenut on Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

What kind of exhaust are you running and are your preheaters cleaned and not clogged?

As mentioned above, start by warming up the engine and adjusting the carb properly.
robp1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

Vintage speed exhaust and preheaters work great
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

robp1999 wrote:
Car cold starts easy, runs rough for a couple minutes then smoothes out. As it warms up as soon as the choke releases and it comes of the high idle cam it doesn't want to idle until fully warm. When warm it idles at 900rpm but will drop below that momentarily as the throttle is released then recover when pulling to a stop. Do I start with adjusting the choke a little tighter? I'm at a loss here.

Yes. It sounds like your choke is disengaging too early.
The choke adjustment is a duration adjustment. Closing the choke further means it will take longer for the heating element to warm up enough for the choke butterfly to go vertical. Yes it could also mean the throttle arm screw will sit on a taller step of the fast idle cam, but that is just happenstance.

Adjust your choke first thing in the morning before you turn the ignition switch ON. Pull the throttle arm to release the fast idle cam and allow the butterfly to snap closed. Loosen the three screws holding the choke coil in place and rotate the choke butterfly a bit more closed. No need to fully close the butterfly unless you need it to rotate that far, in some cases you may need to rotate even past the point the butterfly fully closes. Just remember more closed means longer time on the choke.
Start the engine and take it for a drive immediately. No need to warm it up in the driveway. At the 1st stop the choke+fast idle cam should keep the idle rpm up so it won't die. As the engine warms up the cam will drop to progressively lower steps, but still keep the idle from stumbling when you come to a stop. Only after the engine is fully warmed up should the choke turn OFF.

Once the morning gets warmer you will need to close the choke even more to keep it ON long enough to warm up the engine.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
robp1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

I have my son warm it up in the driveway since his commute is really short plus it misfires for about a minute when first started. I'll adjust the choke tomorrow morning and see what that does for us. I'll mark it so I can go back if it doesn't help. Trying to do one thing at a time so I don't get lost. We will get the cable for our air fuel gauge next week and gain real data to go by if we can't get it figured out before then. Thanks so much for all the responses.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

On these carbs the idle screw that contacts the fast idle cam is NOT used for setting the idle speed when the engine is fully warmed up. You may be aware of this, if not check youtube for setting the idle speed.
robp1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

Oh yeah I'm cool. Tim gave me a tuning sheet with the carb. I bet it's the choke. I checked for vacuum leaks last night and it runs pretty great when warm.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

robp1999 wrote:
Vintage speed exhaust and preheaters work great

Besides the same carb and distributor as you have, I'm also running the Vintage Speed SS exhaust as you. I'd be interested in hearing more about the cable for your air fuel gauge you have, and the set-up you're planning on using it on. I assume you're using one of the bungs on the muffler.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

You should get your rebuilders on an email together to help with the diagnosis. They built the units. They know all about them.

Sometimes the timing will kick back when the diaphragm in the vacuum canister gives way after being under pressure.

Do you have a gold or a silver vacuum canister?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

Here are pictures of what the vacuum canister looks like. Note the Bosch stamp on them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robp1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

Mine is silver but not Bosch. Good idea to get the rebuilders on a group email. Thanks for the advice.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

Did you ever go through the choke adjustment procedure? Out of curiosity and perhaps unrelated. What style of air cleaner are you using? Do you have working thermostat and flaps? What coil and have you tested it lately? Did you set your timing with a timing light with hoses off? What are the setting details? What’s the timing numbers with vacuum hose on?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
robp1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

Tightened choke which made it a little better. We use a factory air cleaner with warm air hose connected. Functioning flaps and thermostat. New Bosch blue coil. Timing with strobe light at idle is 7.5btdc with or without vacuum hose connected. at full advance it's around 42btdc with hose connected.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

robp1999 wrote:
Timing with strobe light at idle is 7.5btdc with or without vacuum hose connected. at full advance it's around 42btdc with hose connected.

Retest for total advance with the vacuum advance hose disconnected and plugged.

The idea of testing/setting the timing advance at high rpms is to confirm the mechanical/rpm advance does not over advance into detonation.
For a 4-stroke gas powered combustion engine, you generally do not want rpm-based ignition timing advance (mechanical advance) to exceed more than 35BTDC total. Above 3000-3500rpm the flame front in the combustion chamber will travel faster due to turbulence so additional ignition advance is not needed. Increasing initial+mechanical advance beyond 35BTDC will likely result in detonation if load is added at the higher rpms (eg. accelerating or going up hill). Because of things like age, oil bypassing the ring, chamber design and air-cooling... the max safe initial+mechanical advance total timing for your acvw should be around 28-32BTDC. You need to disable the vacuum advance to measure this.

The reason the ignition timing with vacuum advance can reach higher values (like 42BTDC) is because intake-based vacuum advance distributors (SVDA and DVDA) advance the ignition timing under low engine load (high intake vacuum) and retard (take back) that timing when the engine is under load (low vacuum). Your testing was done in the driveway with nothing loading the engine and does not confirm the under load ignition timing is set safely in the 28-32BTDC range.
Measuring the ignition timing at high rpms with the vacuum disconnected simulates a load (zero vacuum) and confirms the ignition timing remains at or below a safe 32BTDC total timing advance.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

Hello Rob,

Let Tim and I know how your doing via email. I hope some of the suggestions we both sent you via email helped you dial it in. You have a nice looking engine. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
robp1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

Okay guys got to check things and found adjustments were all about right. I fine tuned the idle mixture, double checked timing, looked for any vacuum leaks, pulled idle jet and flushed it, and tightened the choke a little. To be honest everything got better when the temperature rose above 20°f. I'm having him drive around the neighborhood to warm it up and he has had no issues since. Seems it's the little things sometimes. Thank you guys very much for your help. I can't recommend Bill and Tim enough for their services.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle idle issues Reply with quote

Glad you got it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: