Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

Hi folks,

First time using a dial indicator to check front wheel bearing play and I wanted to confirm that my method is correct. I jacked up front and set tip of dial indicator in the center of the grease bearing cap. I did not remove the wheel. Adjusted the dial to 0 in the resting position. When I rock the tire at 6 and 12, I get movement of .003 on the dial indicator.

Sound about right (method and reading)?

Thanks.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

A dial indicator for wheel bearing play is rather OCD at best.

Tighten the nut until you can't feel a "clunk" when rocking the wheel back & forth, then try prying the washer between the bearing & the nut back & forth, you should be able to get it to shift a bit, then lock it down.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

65 Beetle?
Are your wheel bearings original ball bearing style or have you upgraded to tapered rollers?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

I anchored the dial indicator to my floor jack, so only the needle is making contact with the wheel.

Bearings are tapered style.

Also, I have 356 brakes if that makes any difference.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
I anchored the dial indicator to my floor jack, so only the needle is making contact with the wheel.

You could be measuring play in your jack, trailing arm bushings, king/link pins or even the bearings.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

Tapered roller bearings and ball bearings take different tightening techniques. Tapered rollers want a little bit of pre-load. I tighten them just until there is no axial movement of the hub.
Ball bearings need to be looser. Use a screwdriver to slide the washer around under the nut and tighten the nut until you can feel some drag on the washer. This may allow a little axial movement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
rcroane wrote:

You could be measuring play in your jack, trailing arm bushings, king/link pins or even the bearings.

I can't imagine I'm measuring play in my jack....but ok. As with many topics on this forum, there are lots of opinions on how to measure bearing play. I was just trying one of those methods recommended. I really didn't want to go through the process of adjusting the axle nut if the dial indicator method showed a normal reading.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
Tapered roller bearings and ball bearings take different tightening techniques. Tapered rollers want a little bit of pre-load. I tighten them just until there is no axial movement of the hub.
Ball bearings need to be looser. Use a screwdriver to slide the washer around under the nut and tighten the nut until you can feel some drag on the washer. This may allow a little axial movement.

Interesting....then mine might be a little loose. Curious what you think about the newer style axle nut with the set screw? I picked up a couple of those that will fit my axle. Seems a little easier than the two nuts and locking tab?

And when you are checking for axial movement of the hub, are you doing so with the wheel on or off?
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:

I believe you have this backwards.

Ball bearings are assembled with a pre-load. The factory method ->65 has you tighten them up until you can just pry the thrust washer side to side with a screwdriver.

Tapered rollers are assembled with a slight amount of play. My 66-70 manual is in storage but IIRC using an adaptor they have you install the dial indicator mount to one of the lug bolt holt holes and place the tip on the spindle. IIRC the spec is .003" to .006".

I would say to OP yes the new style nut will make it easier to adjust.
Generic adjust for new bearings would be to tighten the nut to ~24 ft lbs while turning the drum.
Loosen the nut 1/2 turn, then re-tighten the nut finger tight.
Now check for play and secure with allen key or the outer nut.

You can do this with wheel on or off.

A little too loose is no problem. Drive it ~100 miles or so and re-adjust.

Too tight and the bearings will overheat turning the races blue and ultimately ruining the bearings.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

the tightening method in many of the books tells one to make them tight enough to just be able to move the washer with a screw driver twist. It would be interesting to find out how much play that equates to with an indicator. Id think the indicator must be attached to the spindle so eliminate false readings from play in the suspension bits.

Bug On! Spinning Free!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

If you use a screwdriver to see if the thrust washer moves, don't stick it in too far or you will catch the cage of the bearing and bend it
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

I don't have your model Bentley, but have one for 66-69. It shows a five stud wheel in the picture so maybe it will suit your model. I don't think it is any more OCD than getting the oil clearance in the big ends right when rebuilding a motor. A measurement is better than any guess.

The axial play of the front bearings is to be .001-.005" (.03-0.12mm) for my model. I'm sure someone else may have a Bentley for your model and can help.

They measure it slightly differently using a VW tool. The dial gauge is screwed into one of the wheel nut holes and the measuring end is touching the adjusting nut clamp. This will give a smaller reading than when measuring say to the rim edge.

So yes I am sure there is a reading for measuring the play, but it may not be the way you are measuring. In any case you should not be measuring to the grease cap. This will not be round and will give you false readings.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
If you use a screwdriver to see if the thrust washer moves, don't stick it in too far or you will catch the cage of the bearing and bend it

Yes, and the Muir book's direction to "pry" has caused some to stick the screwdriver blade in deep and pry towards the tire, rather than twisting the handle, causing this damage.

Note the large washer is a loose fit on the spindle, so it can slide a bit. It is that sliding you are looking for when you twist the handle. Twist 180 degrees from your first twist to move it back.

And as posted, slightly too much play is not damaging like too little is. And if you can barely feel the play when you rick the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock, you are near the loose limit but still ok.

Also, I usually remove the outer bearing and file that washer smooth on fine concrete, then some sandpaper so it's very smooth.

Some don't like to twist, perhaps because if it's adjusted too tightly and you twist, you might mar the washer.

I have that VW tool but it really is more work than it's worth.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I'll go ahead and check using the washer method and also use the dial indicator, but this time I'll remove the grease cap.

I actually think everything is adjusted ok....I was just checking things out before spring.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:

Yes, and the Muir book's direction to "pry" has caused some to stick the screwdriver blade in deep and pry towards the tire, rather than twisting the handle, causing this damage.

I wonder if that 'technique' caused this damage...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I went to replace these I found this mixture of ball and taper bearings which is also a no-no apparently. I replaced with tapered and used the 'gently check for lateral movement in the washer' method. Wheels haven't fallen off so far.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

[quote="61SNRF"]
wdfifteen wrote:

I believe you have this backwards.

61SNRF wrote:
Ball bearings are assembled with a pre-load. The factory method ->65 has you tighten them up until you can just pry the thrust washer side to side with a screwdriver.

We agree that that is the proper way to install ball bearings. I never thought of that as loading the bearings so much as positioning them so the balls contact the race firmly enough that they don't rattle or vibrate. There is really no load on them.

61SNRF wrote:
Tapered rollers are assembled with a slight amount of play. My 66-70 manual is in storage but IIRC using an adaptor they have you install the dial indicator mount to one of the lug bolt holt holes and place the tip on the spindle. IIRC the spec is .003" to .006".

I've always tightened tapered rollers to 0 play and then 1/8 turn more. After looking at SKF's web site I see that is not always necessary. Preload is determined by the end user, so some cars specify preload or 0 axial play and some don't. Apparently VW has determined .003 to .006 axial play is correct for Beetles.
From SKF
"Tapered roller bearings are preloaded whenever one wants to ensure the axial stiffness of the assembly (bevel gear bear- ings. machine-tool spindle bearings. etc.). The nominal value of the pre-load is fixed for each application according to the loading conditions and the characteristics of the chosen bearings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

Ball bearings need some preload. None of the tapered roller wheel bearings I have installed over the years has ever been specified to have preload. You tighten them up to make sure they are seated, then back them off and tighten by hand so there is near zero clearance but no preload.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing play - dial indicator technique Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
wdfifteen wrote:

Interesting....then mine might be a little loose. Curious what you think about the newer style axle nut with the set screw? I picked up a couple of those that will fit my axle. Seems a little easier than the two nuts and locking tab?

And when you are checking for axial movement of the hub, are you doing so with the wheel on or off?

Where do you get the one with a set screw?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: