Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine Caribou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

Hey folks - first timer here, hopefully back for the long haul once I find my Vanagon.

I live in small town western Canada so don't have a lot of prospects nearby. One just popped up 'only' a 4-hour drive away. The owner has provided a ton of information and some photos.

The Good:
- Last 10 years of maintenance/upgrades well documented
- Low mileage (odo stuck at 103km/60k miles, estimated at 155km currently)
- 15" mercedes wheel upgrade
- Bilstein HD shock, springs, sway bar upgrade
- Fridge delete, added Engel 60l
- 140W solar and high capacity aux battery system
- Upgraded starter
- LED headlight upgrade
- New instrument cluster/lights
- Brakes, master cylinder done recently
- Roof rack, ARB 2500 awning
- Fuel lines done (last was 2011 though?)

My concerns:
- Original 2.1l engine, no gasket/seal, valve or rebuild work done (but regular coolant changes and no leaks apparently)
- Some seam, window rust starting and one larger spot ahead of passenger rear wheel well.

Photos of the rusty bits:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've read up on the rust in the forums here and know dealing with it comprehensively with a full repaint can be $$$.

I'm not looking to have a show-winner, but don't want a vehicle that will disintegrate within few years either. This one seems to have a LOT of the major upgrades that I would be looking to do myself, so it's appealing in that sense vs buying a cheaper vehicle and throwing $5k or more at upgrades right off the bat. But I'd like to avoid needing to throw $5-10k at the rust or engine in the next few years too.

They're asking $20k CAD / $15k USD, which seems like a good price - more affordable than similar vans on the west coast anyways which would seem to be closer to $30K CAD / $22K USD or so.

Presuming mileage is accurate and proper fluids have been replaced regularly, how much of a ticking time bomb is the original 2.1 engine? Why/when would I be concerned that a rebuild hasn't been done?

From what you can see of the rust in the photos (no perforation reported), are there solutions that will repair or stall the progression of the rust short of doing a full $$$$ ($10K or more?) panels-off inspect, repair, repaint?

If the last time the fuel lines were done was indeed 2011, would you suggest re-doing them preventively?

I know the answer to a lot of this will be "it depends", but thanks for letting me think out loud... I really appreciate the wealth of info & experience here![/img]
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

to me that looks like the tip of a massively crusty iceberg. but my perspective - as one who shies away from bodywork and is used to west coast vehicles - may be a bit skewed.

id tend toward something that needed mechanical work over body work, but i suppose everyones different.

15k for an otherwise sorted but rusty late westy doesnt seem like that bad of a deal though.
id probably plan on pulling all the windows at least to get the rust there taken of so it doesnt leak and wreak havoc inside.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

Agree with valvecovergasket that I would always prefer a vehicle that requires mechanical work over one that needs body work, not sure I agree about this one looking particularly crusty... from the pics the rust all appears in typical spots and I regularly see Westies tooling around Seattle with way more rust.

Some more specific response:

Yes this is good, and a good sign that the last owner took ownership seriously.

I would not put a price premium on "low mileage" for any Westy but this is a good data point re: your later question about engine rebuild history etc

Nice upgrade to have, depending on wheels anywhere from $200 to $800 value here

Very nice upgrade, much more usable than stock system if your intent is to go camping

- 140W solar
Nice, but need to find out more to assign a value... what kind of solar panels (some are mounted to the pop top or rack, others are portable so you can park in the shade but put the panels in the sun etc), what kind of charge controller, etc

- high capacity aux battery system
Need way more info here: what kind of batteries and how many, when were the batteries manufactured (since they do have a shelf life), are they wired to a shore power charger, do they have a smart separation system like an ACR, etc. I could spend $100 at Costco for a 80 amp hour 12V marine battery and direct wire it i n the stock aux position beneath driver seat and label it as a high capacity aux system... or I could spend $600 on four Trojan 105s (460 amp hours) and install them with a Blue Seas ACR ($100), a master isolation switch ($50) and a hard wired charger rated for this kind of system ($200) and install it all under the bench seat with appropriate install to keep them from careening around the cabin during a rollover crash. Worth figuring out what you would actually be getting here.

- Upgraded starter
These are all basically regular maintenance items, good sign that they are done but no price premium

Getting toward end of life, general guidance is 10 year effective life for fuel lines with modern ethanol blend gas. Fortunately this is an easy job to do as a new owner, if you buy this westy then you should budget $100 for materials and a few hours of your time in the next few years.

- Original 2.1l engine, no gasket/seal, valve or rebuild work done (but regular coolant changes and no leaks apparently)
You will get a ton of opinions about the 2.1, I have one vehicle with an original 2.1 and another where I have swapped it for a Bostig/Ford Zetec and could argue for either one. Whether a 2.1 is the right engine for you depends to some extent on your own mechanical abilities, if you are comfortable swinging a wrench and the idea of setting timing, troubleshooting electrical with a multimeter, changing out sensors as part of your regular maintenance etc then the 2.1 is a fine (if somewhat outdated) engine whose major failings in my opinion are common to many early generation computer controlled engines.
As far as rebuild history etc if the vehicle is really at around 60k miles then this sounds right. That being said I would get compression numbers from the engine to tell you how things are really going. A prior purchase inspection (PPI) from a reputable shop would get you this and more and is a good investment in my opinion.

- Some seam, window rust starting and one larger spot ahead of passenger rear wheel well.
Assuming there really is no other visible rust than in the spots pictured I would not be too worried about this and would not let it scare me away form the vehicle. Assume that actual rust is always at least twice as bad once you peel away paint and are looking at the metal. See if you can get the owner to send you detailed pictures of the other common rust areas:
the entire body lower body panel area behind driver door to the rear wheel arch below the various camper hookup boxes. This area (and especially the seam where the floor meets the rest of the body) is the source of the notorious "kitchen seam rust."
all wheel arches
the area just below windshield
all body seams
the quarter panels behind the rear wheels
the footwells below the front doors
The wheel arch spot looks gross, but the good news is that this area is not structural. Down toward the bottom of the photo you can see where the trailing arm attaches to the body, that area is the critical one for rust in this area and it looks pretty clean to me. This is a very common area for rust issues so there are panels available if you want to cut out and replace.
The areas in the window channel are also very common rust areas, also not structural and a fairly common fix.
With first time owners and rust, as long as the rust is not structural (and this stuff does not appear structural based on pics) I would recommend doing something to "arrest" the rust with a converting agent (typically with Ospho or another phosphoric acid product) and something to deny air/water to the area (like fluid film) and then enjoying your westy for a few years before tackling the rust.
Once it is time to tackle the rust, your issues are in a small enough area that I would consider not doing the full repaint and instead doing spot repairs assuming the rest of the paint is in good shape. A good repair is nearly invisible.

Big picture takeaway:
Assuming the engine numbers come back good AND the body rust really is limited to what you see in the pictures then $20k CAD seems like a good price to me.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

Porcupine Caribou wrote:
.... hopefully back for the long haul once I find my Vanagon.

I live in small town western Canada so don't have a lot of prospects nearby.

The Good:

- 140W solar and high capacity aux battery system
- Upgraded starter
- LED headlight upgrade
- Roof rack, ARB 2500 awning

My concerns:

I'm not looking to have a show-winner, but don't want a vehicle that will disintegrate within few years either. ..... I'd like to avoid needing to throw $5-10k at the rust or engine in the next few years too.

They're asking $20k CAD / $15k USD, which seems like a good price - more affordable than similar vans on the west coast anyways which would seem to be closer to $30K CAD / $22K USD or so.

Presuming mileage is accurate and proper fluids have been replaced regularly, how much of a ticking time bomb is the original 2.1 engine? Why/when would I be concerned that a rebuild hasn't been done?

From what you can see of the rust in the photos (no perforation reported), are there solutions that will repair or stall the progression of the rust short of doing a full $$$$ ($10K or more?) panels-off inspect, repair, repaint?

If the last time the fuel lines were done was indeed 2011, would you suggest re-doing them preventively?

If you've worked on cars before fuel line replacement is not too hard and a good "newb" place to start. But, if ALL pertinent fuel hoses were replaced in 2011 and done with proper clamps, you could put that job on the "near future" list.

I'm not a body guy but rust shown is likely close to becoming holes or at least have pin hole leaks. That said, on a van with less rust, water can get in via failed body seams, poorly sealing window seals etc.

Inspect rear trailing arms for rust perforation and or if the spring perch is lifting away from the arm or the "hat" on perch is rusting out.

If you're certain engine is original, with no major work done, check out some threads here regarding longevity of the 2.1 Since the owner did upgrades, and iF they've owned it for some years, that could be a good indicator of their faith in the engines history.

If the engine has a yellow VW of Canada sticker, beware.

There's a few Westys that have been on the Vancouver craigslist for a while. IMO, they're priced too high. I see your location etc but 20K CAD might be a high ask considering condition of body. But, I do see your point re: upgrades done. Is shopping for a Westy in US viable?

Neil.

my 1981 Westy rear trailing arm failed "hat". There had been holes (repaired) elsewhere on arm in particular at small end of arm at bushing to frame. Arm was replaced. Van has high miles but afaik, was never an east coast van.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Porcupine Caribou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the excellent responses. It's really helpful to get a sense that the rust doesn't seem to be in the most structurally critical places, and that mitigation or eventual repair shouldn't need to require a complete re-paint.

Here's a little more detail on the solar components, from the spreadsheet of maintenance records he sent me (spreadsheet has to be a good sign, right?). This was all done in 2014:

- $500 CAD 140w panel from Keln Solar (local company focused on commercial/residential market)
- $415 CAD for battery from Total Battery (that's the retailer not the brand, unfortunately)
- $355 CAD on other parts from Northern Arizona Wind & Solar

The owner just sent me a link, and evidently he borrowed his design from the one described here:

http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/solar-electricity-for-nacho-vanagon/

Here are a few more pics of some front windshield area and undercarriage mentioned to keep an eye out for rust:

Thanks again - this community is definitely one of the reasons I'm even considering taking the plunge on a 30+ year old vehicle. I'm not afraid of doing some basic maintenance (had always done my own oil changes, plugs) but undoubtedly still in the 'newbie' category when it comes to anything else.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

do you own a body shop?
Porcupine Caribou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
do you own a body shop?

Many thanks for the first timers link... I presume you're saying the rust looks like a big ticket nightmare waiting to happen?

No I don't own a body shop or have much ability to do that sort of work competently myself. Do you disagree with the others who've said some treatments can at least hit the pause button on the rust temporarily?

I'd love to avoid getting into a vehicle that needs $15k of body work & paint imminently... but at the same time I don't need a van that's perfect.

I'm attracted to this one because it's low mileage, well-documented maintenance, and has upgrades that I'd most likely be looking to do anyways (solar, fridge, wheels, suspension, headlights etc.).

I've been checking out rust-free or significantly less rusty examples on the west coast, and prices tend to be $10k more for a vehicle with none of the upgrades.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

wow the underside doesnt really look too bad considering the nasty shape of the other rust bits...

i have no idea what a shop would charge to fix/fill/new metal on the windows but maybe call around and ask or share some pictures with them. even if youve pulled the windows prior to bringing it to them id look to do that work as soon as you transferred it to your name

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

Porcupine Caribou wrote:

Many thanks for the first timers link... I presume you're saying the rust looks like a big ticket nightmare waiting to happen?

This was my windshield:

What is initially looked like
What was underneath

Now, windshields are a little more notorious and this is not to frighten you off but you get the idea. I have a welder and am not afraid to learn how to weld on my truck or to have a paint job that looks less than 100% so it was cheap and relatively easy for me to fix. It cost me a bit of time, two spray cans of paint, and a new windshield seal that needed to be replaced anyways. I don't know what your situation is like but I have a feeling what is under those windows is similar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

I realize that $20,000 does not necessarily buy a lot of Westfalia these days, but I can say that out of all the things you might want in a used Vanagon Westy, a non-rusty body or expertly repaired body is the most important.

Every one of those "rust-bubble" areas will feature a perforation and will require metal repair. Saskatchewan used to use less road salt, but this has changed, meaning that Canada's former "less rusty" province has joined the rest of rusty Canada.

I suggest that you keep looking for a westy with less rust, trying the various parts of Western Canada and the US with less rust-causing salt. Beware Florida Westfalia's by the way since they are ridiculously rusty for a no-snow part of the world! It's probably the high humidity and salt air in Florida.

I was curious what might pop up on Craigslist and quickly found this 1985 gem in the Sacramento area listed at $17,500 USD ($23,275 CAD):

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/albany-vanagon-westfalia-camper/7072842174.html

That $20,000 van is going to break your heart if you can't do your own bodywork and rust repair. A rust repair plus full re-spray would likely cost $8,000 to $10,000 CAD locally to do. If you have the skills, then the Saskatchewan Westy would be a good candidate for repair, but the $20,000 price might need to be bargained down a bit.

Here's a nice survivor from the Bay area in California at $14,500 USD:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/holy-city-1986-vw-vanagon-westfalia/7072360208.html

Here's another nice survivor in Vacaville:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/vacaville-1985-volkswagen-westfalia/7072330215.html

Here's a nice deal in Walnut Creek at only $11,500 USD:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/walnut-creek-1985-volkswagen-vw/7072241722.html
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

Porcupine Caribou wrote:
Merian wrote:
do you own a body shop?

No I don't own a body shop or have much ability to do that sort of work competently myself. Do you disagree with the others who've said some treatments can at least hit the pause button on the rust temporarily?

I'd love to avoid getting into a vehicle that needs $15k of body work & paint imminently... but at the same time I don't need a van that's perfect.

I'm attracted to this one because it's low mileage, well-documented maintenance, and has upgrades that I'd most likely be looking to do anyways (solar, fridge, wheels, suspension, headlights etc.).

I've been checking out rust-free or significantly less rusty examples on the west coast, and prices tend to be $10k more for a vehicle with none of the upgrades.

Hoesight's post says it all - maintenance & repairs are things every Vanagon owner needs to carry in their head

only the headlights are needed upgrades, and you can day travel and lower speeds at night for that; the other stuff can - and should - wait until all critical safety things are done
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

Looks like the front clam shell is missing. That is the part that holds the spare.
Might want to ask if he still has it.
The underside looks pretty good, but I think he is asking a bit much for the condition its in.
Many (most?) vans in eastern Canada (Ontario and Quebec) are put away for the winter and a lot of them are in very good condition.
These vans are money pits no matter what you buy so be forewarned however they are very rewarding.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/windsor-area-on/1982-vanagon/1487057095

for example
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Porcupine Caribou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
I realize that $20,000 does not necessarily buy a lot of Westfalia these days, but I can say that out of all the things you might want in a used Vanagon Westy, a non-rusty body or expertly repaired body is the most important.

Thanks, I appreciate the input - especially that you know the SK context. I've just moved back to the prairies, but grew up here in the 80s/90s and remember car folks from other provinces being in shock when they saw the generally outstanding condition of old cars on the road here. No longer, I guess eh?

I think I was/am attracted to this one because it seemed "good to go" (don't laugh!)... at least in terms of the features I want, and the likely better than average mechanical condition/maintenance story.

I hadn't given much thought to importing from the US, as I'd rather not over-complicate things... but might have to take a gander at the stateside Craigslists. I've had a few prospects I'm interested in out in BC that seem to have minimal rust... but it seems like west coast commands a premium thanks to concentrated local demand. And most of the ones I've been checking out have been all original, which might appeal to the collector - but I'm hoping for something a bit more 'adventure-ready' (wheels/tires, suspension upgraded to handle some backroads, better lights, solar, fridge etc.)

Perhaps it's better to have outfitting the vehicle with that gear as my post-purchase 'project' rather than cracking open a mystery box of rust... Confused
Porcupine Caribou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

jocoman wrote:
Looks like the front clam shell is missing. That is the part that holds the spare.
Might want to ask if he still has it.
The underside looks pretty good, but I think he is asking a bit much for the condition its in.
Many (most?) vans in eastern Canada (Ontario and Quebec) are put away for the winter and a lot of them are in very good condition.
These vans are money pits no matter what you buy so be forewarned however they are very rewarding.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/windsor-area-on/1982-vanagon/1487057095

for example

Thanks... yeah I'm getting the sense that if I do want to proceed with this one, I'll have to get that price down a bit. This has definitely been some great food for thought...

I've seen a few interesting examples in the Montreal area. Might have to broaden my search a bit!
syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

The clam shell is gone but has been replaced by a van cafe tire carrier, gather the wheels are 15 or 16 inch with slightly larger tires, hence the need for the carrier. Have one on my syncro. The rust in front of the wheel well is weird and could be ugly. The underside looked pretty decent from a fellow dweller of the north.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a prospect - 1988 Westy Reply with quote

I can't believe how clean the drivetrain looks. That is really impressive. Only the drain plug leaks and a thicker better washer will fix that. Honestly, if everyone else checked out I think I would be sold on that alone. That looks like a 10 year old cars condition, not 30.

The rust could go a lot of ways, but I think if you are comfortable with pulling the windows, replacing the seals, sanding, spot painting those areas, it won't be a big deal. The spot on the fender does not look like it has gone through either, so that really simplifies things.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: