Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

I need to do that to my single cab. Did you drill out the spot welds? What about the side? How was that attached and how did you remove it?

Bundy Volks 2020 wrote:
Been a busy week messing with some metal work. I’m not professional so please go easy on the criticism of my welding, self taught and having a crack as being a VW owner i kinda feel that it’s worth having a go at these things myself.

Took the old tray off, the bus came with replacement Classic Fab tray and gates so I’ll weld the tray in place, have test fitted it and drilled holes into one side ready for spotting but need to spray the underside before i do.

Cleaned the petrol tank area, noticed some holes in the floor so addressed that and also was a patch in the back step section. Once that’s done all the welding is done, the interior was upholstered and it’s a case of putting things back together. I actually think I’ll reuse the old gates just for the patina!

Engine is not running right, tried to turn it over - it has twin Kadrons which went up in flames, so something isn’t right but will try and take it out this weekend. Haven’t got a clue about engines so waiting on my “how to build a vw engine’ books to arrive!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bundy Volks 2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Hi ivwshane, no I didn’t drill the spot welds out, i would have had a hard time figuring where they were!

So i cut straight down on on either side of the bars and then got a cold chisel and hammered under the metal and broke the welds that way, then ground them down after.

The last edge of the tray that joins with the side isn’t spot welded it’s just held down by the lip of the tray which folds over so when you get to that you just have to knock it outwards and it comes away easily.

Wasn’t too bad a job and took half a day to remove.

Hope this helps!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks!
Bundy Volks 2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

No problem IVWshane Wink

So i said there was a bit of a story to tell with the 73 Dual Cab.

Along with the DC came a 72 cross over bus ( mainly parts) and a registered and running 74 Single Cab with it’s private plate and history!

A bit of a vw fanatic had posted an ad on a forum through a friend as he wasn’t internet savvy but hadn’t responded to the thread having left his number on the post. One night recently i was internet shopping for my white 72 ( Millie) for bits just to tidy her up but disgusted at the shipping I went onto this forum to confirm my booking for an event being held in April and thought I’d just check the classifieds.

There was the 2 year old ad for the dual cab and a separate one for the Single cab. In the morning I thought I’d just ring on the off chance and got no answer so i tried again in the evening and to my surprise the owner still had them but had forgotten about them having turned his attention to more modern Japanese cars! With ill health and no real urge to tinker with VW’s he said he was still keen to sell so I said I’d go for a look - He lives nearly 5 hours a way from me!

Whilst discussing the dual cab i asked him if he still had the single cab and he said yes, I hadn’t really been interested in that but my jaw dropped when he said he’d let the both of them go for the price of 1 but no mucking around that was the price to take both only. I agreed no messing on price but that I’d have to go and look before making a decision and agreed to head down to see.

Literally minutes later i get a message, which I’m thinking, ok he’s changed his mind, but it’s in fact to tell me there’s also a 72 parts bus with a type 4 engine in as a donor bus that comes with it!

Leaving my place at 3 am that Tuesday i get to his at 8 am and am knocking at the door, no answer, then i hear from behind this tall 6 ft fence the sound of a vw engine starting up, low and behold the its the single cab running!

I was like those guys from American Pickers, it was like VW heaven!

Anyhows i did the deal and even got to drive the SC around the block, have picked up the dual cab and will be getting the other 2 this week. John the owner is a top bloke, who was vw mad, medically he’s had a rough ride and stated that when he put the ad up all he got was people messaging him and low balling and that i was the first to actually make the effort to go and take a look.

I’ve also added a pic of my Millie , my 72 who isn’t immaculate but is a nice daily that I’ve had for about 10 months now and was used for a wedding today.

I’ve had many Vws in my time both in the UK and in Australia but this is my best find ever! It’s only recently that I’ve developed an appreciation for the bay windows because good quality is getting so hard to find now in Australia. I grew up admiring the Cal look Bug scene, and loved the iconic inchpincher and spent years collecting original Empi stuff, and always just focused on the earlier models having owned early split buses, bugs and a low light Ghia in the UK but it’s now so expensive here in Australia and so hard to find.

Any ways sorry for the long post i thought some of you may enjoy the tale of how i came about the DC! The pic of the engine is from the DC too it’s got twin Kadron but is backfiring through the carb bad, actually set on fire Rolling Eyes so I’m taking it out and having a good look at it hopefully tomorrow!

gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

I bought this '68 in '85 from a VW dealer. Their parts truck for 14 yrs, bought by a local guy who drove it for 3 yrs then traded it back in. I saw it in the back lot as we were driving through for a test drive with a friend. Been constantly hot rodding the bus since then. Tucked away for the winter. Next will be a engine out tune up followed by swapping out the modified bus front suspension for a Porsche 935 suspension. A link to my site chronicling the history.
http://www.roonuts.com/index.php?page=intro

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2013392.jpg[/img]
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Mine has an odd antenna too, but I'm guessing it's just another add-on by the previous owner.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: 69 DOKA Reply with quote

owned it 26 years

was parts runner for VW in Abilene TX, bought by college buddy. Shipped to Philippines with USAF move repainted there, Shipped back to TX, then CO. My buddy died in AF C130 crash in Idaho. I bought from his estate over 26 years ago

2"" lift
79 disc brakes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Well I'd love a Bay Doublecab, the 1st one I found was hacked, they spliced a '68 DC onto a '78 Bus ......

Since it was a Frankenstein Hack, I parted it out....

I snuck that Nose into Canada, delivered it to a guy in Montreal, rear seats, gates ect. went all over the country....

Found this one in 2012, really rusty, someone removed the drivetrain & it's sitting on a stonewall, one of these days I need to see it's still there.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Global production numbers for Bay Window Crew Cabs

1967- 5.2% out of 162,741
1968- 5.3% out of 253,919
1969- 6.2% out of 273,134
1970- 6.0% out of 288,011
1971- 5.9% out of 277,503
1972- 6.5% out of 294,932
1973- 6.3% out of 289,022
1974- 7.0% out of 224,993
1975- 6.9% out of 227,087
1976- 7.0% out of 242,352
1977- 7.5% out of 208,615
1978- 8.7% out of 206,840
1979- 4.6% out of 186,870

Production numbers compiled and courtesy of the Samba via Type 2 Production Figures under the Technical Forum. Multiple the percentage to that specific year's production numbers to calculate the physical production number out of that year's model number.
Example: 1967 Production #'s: 5.2 (x) 162,741 = 8,463 Crew Cabs

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Hello,
Here is my 1970 Doka, found last summer in Quebec.
I brought home, put new panel and 2 crossmembers in. 1600cc swap.
Getting ready to fire up!
Paint and rims next.
1969 Single Cab
1970 Double Cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Justabug,

Very nice 70. I hope to hear you’re keeping it red? Is that Montana Red?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Justabug,

Very nice 70. I hope to hear you’re keeping it red? Is that Montana Red?

Hey Thanks,

Yes Montana Red, I will keep the same color, motor area is all painted and motor is back in.
1969 Single Cab
1970 Double Cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Triple Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Here's my 70 DC, 2110 by A&D Buggies Freeway Flyer trans by Tranwest both in Torrance

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Lovely! Is that Neptune Blue (L50K)?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Great looking Double, Triple Driver!

I think we can all agree that Neptune Blue is a freaking sweet color on these trucks.

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Went back & looked, 8 years later, and that '68 Dc is still in the same spot:

It is pretty rusty, the Lady I talked to said it was her husbands, and will think about selling it..... Pray

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

justabug wrote:

Hello,
Paint and rims next.

Justabug, was that the one from M.Dumas ?? I really wanted to go look at it, just never had the time .... Confused

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
justabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
justabug wrote:

Hello,
Paint and rims next.

Justabug, was that the one from M.Dumas ?? I really wanted to go look at it, just never had the time .... Confused

Hey,

I bought this from Quebec, Not sure if this was the same guy as your saying.
1969 Single Cab
1970 Double Cab
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

justabug wrote:

Hello,
Paint and rims next.

Ok, next question: Why does it have the '71-'79 rims, and not the '68-70 rims.
Now the '73 & newer nose I get, MANY Bays had a nose job w/ a later nose.
Does it have front disc brakes ??

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
justabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Hey,

Thats good question!
It looks to have had a nose job, but they did a great job!
Its very hard to tell. It has a rebuilt beam and has disc with power brakes, I guess they did the rims to match ft and back.
1969 Single Cab
1970 Double Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: