Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

More than that: It has 71 up front and rear arches, too. I've looked at a few cars that had a total BOTTOM CLIP. To fix a very rusty double cab, that might possibly be an economical repair. A few years ago, later rust free bay shells were almost free in the USA western states.
It has early bay bumpers, though. Nice truck.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Alan Brase

Hello,

thanks for the input, forgive me, what are arches?
Other then the ft nose in question the rest didn't look touched till I got it?
Id love to find everything out about this truck. Its been a fun project.
I actually drove it tonight and was surprised at the power of it compared to my "thing"
1969 Single Cab
1970 Double Cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

The wheel opening.Front and rear. Ahead, above, and behind each tire. The 68-70 are nearly flat, the 71 later have a pronounced lip/ flare.
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

I'm happy to find this thread. I live in the Denver metro area I have a fabricator that can make bows and shop that can make the canvas tilt. Does anyone have good photos or maybe links showing details of how the bows are done? Something close to OEM or how it was done back in the day? I have a 71 patina double cab.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Roark wrote:
I'm happy to find this thread. I live in the Denver metro area I have a fabricator that can make bows and shop that can make the canvas tilt. Does anyone have good photos or maybe links showing details of how the bows are done? Something close to OEM or how it was done back in the day? I have a 71 patina double cab.

The double cab sold on Ebay yesterday had a set of them.
Shipping is a big problem because they make a big space. I think when sold thru the VW dealers, they were shipped unwelded and the 3 parts welded on site.
BTW, I have an original Bay Window canvas tilt in very poor condition. I bought it a few years back to use as a pattern. And still need to do that soon to make a non authentic copy for my single cab. Probably gonna make one of colored Sunbrella or some horrible synthetic stuff!
But it will be available for dimensioning and pictures immediately.
Vanagons:
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Roark wrote:

Dude I picked up the Hoops Set from NLAVW in England. Pricing wasn’t bad, even with shipping. The Hoops rather than being welded together upon delivery, are instead, bolted together. I thought this made sense for shipping purposes, but also liked it for any future needs/wants to remove the Hoops and stow them away somewhere in the shop.

I’ve had them on the 68 for months now, rain and sun, no issues. A couple pieces of the hardware are NOT stainless and have flashed, but that isn’t a big deal to me.

Overall very satisfied with the set.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Roark wrote:

Hey! I'm just south of you in northern New Mexico.

Your best bet for fabricated hoops (bows) is Derek Gregg (DGCreations). He advertises in the classifieds, and I purchased some hard-to-make hoop caps from him and they are perfect.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1173743

For the canopy, you want to go with Tom Buese (Bus Ware), who also advertises here. I just got a nice sunbrella cab-height canopy for my DC from him.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=365187
Hmm, seems his ad needs updating. He also ahs a web site, but these prices are out of date:
http://busware.biz

If you want a full-height canopy for a double cab, I have a set of hoops and a NOS (yes!) PVC canopy that will fit. Here it is installed on my truck:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

By the way, that bus was beautifully restored by a guy in the Denver area, if you are interested.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tabney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

So glad to see this topic! I'm picking up a 71 DC on Friday and will have plenty of questions I'm sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Hey! I'm just south of you in northern New Mexico.

Your best bet for fabricated hoops (bows) is Derek Gregg (DGCreations). He advertises in the classifieds, and I purchased some hard-to-make hoop caps from him and they are perfect.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1173743

For the canopy, you want to go with Tom Buese (Bus Ware), who also advertises here. I just got a nice sunbrella cab-height canopy for my DC from him.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=365187
Hmm, seems his ad needs updating. He also ahs a web site, but these prices are out of date:
http://busware.biz

If you want a full-height canopy for a double cab, I have a set of hoops and a NOS (yes!) PVC canopy that will fit. Here it is installed on my truck:

By the way, that bus was beautifully restored by a guy in the Denver area, if you are interested.[/quote]

Howdy Neighbor! I'll preface this by saying although I've seen lots of trucks, I"ve never laid eyes on actual bows. I don't know anyone here who might have some OEM (or nearly) bows to look at. All I've seen is a really bad set up made from 1/2" EMT. Yuk

I'm aware of Derek Gregg. He's the gold standard for sure but he has to cut the bows up to send them to Denver. I'd have to get someone to re-weld, grind and finish them on my end. SO, on top of what Derek needs, it will be a lot of coin. I know two fabricators here but I want to hand them really good details so it at least approximates OEM. If I coiuld get some detailed photos of your conections that would help. Also, are they like 1x1 steel tube or a C shape or round stock or??

There's a guy here doing upholstry out of his shop here .. I'd like to give the business to him but I'm not sure he can handle important details. Anyone with a photo of how the leather straps attach to the gates etc. Tom is certainly the safe option.

Are you saying your PVC canopy is NOS and it's for sale?

Thanks for the quick reply
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Roark wrote:
Howdy Neighbor! I'll preface this by saying although I've seen lots of trucks, I"ve never laid eyes on actual bows. I don't know anyone here who might have some OEM (or nearly) bows to look at. All I've seen is a really bad set up made from 1/2" EMT. Yuk

I'm aware of Derek Gregg. He's the gold standard for sure but he has to cut the bows up to send them to Denver. I'd have to get someone to re-weld, grind and finish them on my end. SO, on top of what Derek needs, it will be a lot of coin. I know two fabricators here but I want to hand them really good details so it at least approximates OEM. If I coiuld get some detailed photos of your conections that would help. Also, are they like 1x1 steel tube or a C shape or round stock or??

There's a guy here doing upholstry out of his shop here .. I'd like to give the business to him but I'm not sure he can handle important details. Anyone with a photo of how the leather straps attach to the gates etc. Tom is certainly the safe option.

Thanks for the quick reply

DG makes the best stuff, and I can hook you up with a welder in Westminster (the guy who restored my DC, and has a '68 DC of his own) who will get you fixed up if you go that route.

For upholstery, I would go to Sewfine, since they are right there in Denver!

The canopy construction is quite complicated, and Tom Buese does a great job. I would not imagine that anyone else who has never done it before could do as well for the price.

The hoops (bows) that I have are original VW.
The pristine NOS (yes, original VW!) PVC canopy I have is indeed for sale, though I have not yet posted it in the classifieds. I could sell it and the hoops together, and you could make it a long day trip to drive to Los Alamos and back to Denver (maybe 11-12 hr round trip). US 285 is a lovely drive!

As a woodworker, I made the stringers myself from red oak. I could throw those into the deal if you like (I can make myself another set), and you would have an instant and complete solution -- even the fasteners.

PM me if interested.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Roark wrote:

By the way, that bus was beautifully restored by a guy in the Denver area, if you are interested.

Howdy Neighbor! I'll preface this by saying although I've seen lots of trucks, I"ve never laid eyes on actual bows. I don't know anyone here who might have some OEM (or nearly) bows to look at. ...

Thanks for the quick reply[/quote]
Haha. Unless you know John and have followed the build of that FOUR DOOR double cab, there's really a LOT to see in those pictures.
I believe what is shown there is a Brazil part that Overland Parts brought in in some quantity in the late 1980's. They were perhaps OE VW do Brazil parts, but maybe not. Not quite as cool as the cotton canvas duck tilt that German Vw's came with.
Like I offered earlier, I can take pictures of details of the ragged original German one I have.
I believe there is really quite a learning curve to making one successfully using cotton, because it shrinks.
I was rather thinking I would make a crude copy out of synthetic stuff for 56 single cab and that's why I bought this one for a pattern.
Crude copy just kinda suits my nature at this point.
I think both Tom Buese and that guy in Poland, Jack, seem to have satisfied customers.
Vanagons:
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Haha. Unless you know John and have followed the build of that FOUR DOOR double cab, there's really a LOT to see in those pictures.
I believe what is shown there is a Brazil part that Overland Parts brought in in some quantity in the late 1980's. They were perhaps OE VW do Brazil parts, but maybe not. Not quite as cool as the cotton canvas duck tilt that German Vw's came with.
Like I offered earlier, I can take pictures of details of the ragged original German one I have.
I believe there is really quite a learning curve to making one successfully using cotton, because it shrinks.
I was rather thinking I would make a crude copy out of synthetic stuff for 56 single cab and that's why I bought this one for a pattern.
I think both Tom Buese and that guy in Poland, Jack, seem to have satisfied customers.

Al, that's an interesting origin story for this PVC canopy. I suppose it could be Brazilian VW, after all. I have no idea how to tell. I had purchased it with the understanding that it was cab-height (my preference) and discovered that it was full-height, but kept it because it is so nice. Now I have one of Buese's sunbrella cab-height ones, so this one needs a good home.

Truth be told, I do not know its full history. What I do know is that has the VW logo and part number pressed into the PVC, and that it is in excellent condition.

Also, to my knowledge, none of the aftermarket makers of canopies work with this heavy PVC material. Not as cool, since it does not breathe, but completely waterproof!

<aside>
Al Brase, by the way, supplied a key part that made the 4-door conversion possible: He had stashed away a NOS B-pillar and sold it to me. With that, with most of the section behind the door, and the door itself, the 4th door became a reality. It also was critical that this truck was RHD to begin with, so the left side door was the factory door. Right side doors and parts are more readily found, since these are standard on LHD trucks.
</aside>

And again, Roark, the guy who put all that together is a professional artist, an experienced welder, a knowledgeable VW mechanic, and a double cab owner himself -- he lives right there in Westminster. See the first page of this thread for a photo of the truck on the rotisserie in his shop.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

Al, that's an interesting origin story for this PVC canopy. I suppose it could be Brazilian VW, after all. I have no idea how to tell. I had purchased it with the understanding that it was cab-height (my preference) and discovered that it was full-height, but kept it because it is so nice. Now I have one of Buese's sunbrella cab-height ones, so this one needs a good home.

Truth be told, I do not know its full history. What I do know is that has the VW logo and part number pressed into the PVC, and that it is in excellent condition.

Also, to my knowledge, none of the aftermarket makers of canopies work with this heavy PVC material. Not as cool, since it does not breathe, but completely waterproof!

<aside>
Al Brase, by the way, supplied a key part that made the 4-door conversion possible: He had stashed away a NOS B-pillar and sold it to me. With that, with most of the section behind the door, and the door itself, the 4th door became a reality. It also was critical that this truck was RHD to begin with, so the left side door was the factory door. Right side doors and parts are more readily found, since these are standard on LHD trucks.
</aside>

And again, Roark, the guy who put all that together is a professional artist, an experienced welder, a knowledgeable VW mechanic, and a double cab owner himself -- he lives right there in Westminster. See the first page of this thread for a photo of the truck on the rotisserie in his shop.

I have really liked the conversion you did, making it a 4-door, and way cool that Al had that part !!
When I cut up that spliced DC, I had a guy looking to get that single door & all the metal around it to make his RHD into a 4-door, but he was over seas ( Singapore??) and shipping would be crazy $$$$, I should have chopped & saved it anyway... Embarassed

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

I bought all those parts from VW "scrap 1985" program thru my dealer. I literally bought everything with a 265 or 261 part number, all the splitty parts and all the Champagne edition II (S765)parts.
That was even before I had a single or double cab, but I knew I wanted one.
I actually considered buying all the rear metal from a source in Germany and building one from a bus chassis.
Then in 1986, I finally made a deal on a 1969 that was in Western Iowa, for $700. Pretty rusty, but with patching, I made it my main service vehicle for about 10 years, till I got a Vanagon.
I really liked the bay double cab for size and convenience, but mine with a 1600 single port and 52hp was pretty slow and I always wished it had a bigger motor.
At that time they were pretty plentiful in Europe, but pretty hard to get into the US because of DOT and "chicken wars" tax of 25%.
There were almost zero VW commercial vehicles sold in the US after 1969 because of this tax.
Now, most of those European ones are long ago recycled.
I sold my 1969 thru a Samba ad in 2012 to a guy in Florida.
I'd consider getting another someday, but maybe 1970 or newer.
Vanagons:
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
I'd consider getting another someday, but maybe 1970 or newer.

If you get a >= 1972, you can put a Type IV engine in it, and you're off to the races!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

I finally became a double cab owner yesterday! Here is my 1968 with original Neptune blue paint. I'll start a build thread shortly, but just having some fun cleaning things up first.

Thanks for looking.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Wow, you found that in the Midwest? Big lake in the background? Pretty nice. Must have been under cover most its life.
I'm just 100 miles west of you in Waterloo. Sold my 1969 double cab about 8 years ago. Went to Florida.
1968's have a few different parts from later years. Door handles and wiper arms among the differences.
Vanagons:
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Wow, you found that in the Midwest? Big lake in the background? Pretty nice. Must have been under cover most its life.
I'm just 100 miles west of you in Waterloo. Sold my 1969 double cab about 8 years ago. Went to Florida.
1968's have a few different parts from later years. Door handles and wiper arms among the differences.

Yup, right off of lake superior in Wisconsin. It's been in the barn since 1995. It took me a year of persuasion through a second party to get the deal made!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

Yup, right off of lake superior in Wisconsin. It's been in the barn since 1995. It took me a year of persuasion through a second party to get the deal made!

It took me a couple year to get mine back in 1986. It was right by Lake Okoboji, the biggest natural lake in in Iowa.
Vanagons:
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:

Wow...what a great looking truck,nice find. Looks about perfect to me,Congrats!
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: