Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
Anybody got a picture of the female/inner front seat belt attachment point for the driver and middle passenger's seat belts? Mine is missing and it is kind of ambiguous what it might have been originally.

Thanks!

Chris

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=belts&search_author=busdaddy

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Anybody got a picture of the female/inner front seat belt attachment point for the driver and middle passenger's seat belts? Mine is missing and it is kind of ambiguous what it might have been originally.

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was my old crew cab back in 2006. I sold it to a guy in TX. I wonder what happened to it?

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Global production numbers for Bay Window Crew Cabs

1967- 5.2% out of 162,741
1968- 5.3% out of 253,919
1969- 6.2% out of 273,134
1970- 6.0% out of 288,011
1971- 5.9% out of 277,503
1972- 6.5% out of 294,932
1973- 6.3% out of 289,022
1974- 7.0% out of 224,993
1975- 6.9% out of 227,087
1976- 7.0% out of 242,352
1977- 7.5% out of 208,615
1978- 8.7% out of 206,840
1979- 4.6% out of 186,870

Production numbers compiled and courtesy of the Samba via Type 2 Production Figures under the Technical Forum. Multiple the percentage to that specific year's production numbers to calculate the physical production number out of that year's model number.
Example: 1967 Production #'s: 5.2 (x) 162,741 = 8,463 Crew Cabs

Hi - as i recently was offered a double cab that was already built in August 1967, i searched for some info an stumbled over this thread and your calculation above.

Please be aware that your calculation doesn't apply. Shame on you
Here is why:

The statistics you collected from this source on thesamba are most likely for 1967 model year SPLIT buses.
Or maybe splits and bays combined. However, for sure not just 1967 built, 1968 model year early bays.

Because you'll notice when you have a look at said link, that the last line of Split production figures as well as the first line of bay production figures (both dated 1967) say the same number: 162.741

On the other side, here in this list of VIN / chassis numbers, you can see, that by Dec. 31st 1967 the last VIN of the last chassis produced (for 68 model buses) was 218 073 585 - so we talk about 73.585 produced bays in 1967.

But it really would be too cool to have that percentage calculation for each model of different bay models already built in 1967.

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintage water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

hi,
my 68 top gun bus

un regal
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Iguana wrote:
DO bay Window Twin Cab owners consider them a DOKA ? I always thought Doka was a T3 thing which is why I ask

I only recently made this assumption that DoKa is shorthand for "DOppleKAbine/Double Cab." Assuming I am correct, I'd say that any Double Cab would be considered a DoKa.

Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

DO bay Window Twin Cab owners consider them a DOKA ? I always thought Doka was a T3 thing which is why I ask
gregorywsanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Purchased this ‘71 DC in 1999 and unfortunately sold it in 2006. I’ve been looking for another ever since.
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Sorry typo.. when I wrote (model 265)
VIN # was 2642112289 so definitely a '74

From what I gather they called the M Code bundle this truck had, the "Dusty Roads Package." Available to add to vehicles destined for countries with less developed roads. Coolest feature is that the air filter breathed through the frame rail under the bed which connected to the vent on the back passenger side of the cab. Below are what I still had photos of. Hope they help.

1976 Westfalia / Pickle
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Lovely!

BTW, if the VIN starts with 2652, that means that it is a Type 2, model 26 (pickup), from 1975. Pretty darn rare in the US, for sure.

Thanks for the engine compartment pic. That shows the original high air intake plumbing. Very nice! If you have more pics of that area, I'd be interested in seeing them, because I am struggling with returning a 1975 single cab to factory. Funny thing is that mine does not have the arm to hold the pipe (used in other engines to hold the FI air filter) and there is no indication that it ever had one.

Came through Panama, eh? That's interesting.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

This is a 1974 Double Cab that my father and I sold in September 2020. Was sad to see it go but have the 68 Double Cab and 70 Single Cab to keep me company. Last seen headed east on a trailer to New Jersey.

M Code Information
Specifications:
Model: Volkswagen Type 2
➡ Pick-up double cab (model 265)
➡ LHD, rear passenger door right
➡ Standard version
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Type 1, Single carburetor, Stiff instead of torsion suspended clutch plate
Transmission: Manual transmission, 4-speed
Vehicle Identification Number:. 2642112289
Production Date: Feb. 18, 1974
Optional Extras: M B99: Unknown code, year 1974; M 103: Heavy duty shock absorbers front and back; M 508; Ventilation window in rear door and in the window opposite the rear door in the Passenger compartment; M 509: With dust-protected air intake, larger oil bath air cleaner and additional dust sealing
Exterior Body: Brilliant Orange (L20B)
Roof: Brilliant Orange (L20B)
Interior: Dark Beige, Leatherette
Destination Country:Panama
Made in West Germany.

We have owned it for about 6 years. From items we found in the vehicle it appears to have been in Nicaragua, Mexico and Texas in addition to Panama prior to ending up in Georgia where we bought it. Clear Ohio title. No idea what the mileage is or any other details of it's history. We purchased it with the intention of putting a 2.0L Type IV engine into it. Other projects took precedence and we have decided to put it up for sale.

1976 Westfalia / Pickle
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
If you go out again and are so inclined... I'd be interested in the pad on top of the divider wall.

What a cool old stash in the woods!

I'll be going back in the Spring, I'm pretty sure that pad is ripped up, is it bolted on ??

I do not know the original method of attachment. Mine was removed during a restoration and reattached using pop rivets.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
If you go out again and are so inclined... I'd be interested in the pad on top of the divider wall.

I'll be going back in the Spring, I'm pretty sure that pad is ripped up, is it bolted on ??
The Bone yard has been there 40-50 years, just walking in from the road to the garage, it is so narrow I could not carry the rear hatches in front of me, that I bought last time, I had to carry them by my side. Lot's of cool old stuff.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

It's a 1970.

Yes, there are some other good parts, cab divider wall, rear wall, rear window glass, everything down low is rotted. But it all has to be cut out, and hauled back on foot to the garage part of the junk yard, THEN they decide how much to charge you for the parts, it's a good 10 minute hike out, no way to get a car/ 4 wheeler ect. back in there, the guys that run it are cool, but not dumb or cheap. It's just a lot of time, work & ca$h to put out on spec that someone will want the stuff.

Next time I go back there I'm going for the noses off 2 ^^^ Split Buses, it's 1.5 hour drive, and will probably take me 4-5 hors to just clear the crap away from the nose of 1 Bus, THEN cut it off , they are real close to the guy's shop, so hauling tools/jack/ sawz-all, come-a-long ect. will be easier...

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Now, hold on a second. Yes, the roof is great. The B and C pillars, at least on the right side, seem to be worth saving for sure, even if the bottoms are a bit rotted. Maybe the panel on the other side of the crew, too. How about the rear window section? Rear corners?

What year is that?

Those can help others to live.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

If anyone needs a Bay DC Roof, there is one in a bone yard in N.H., I can give you the info. The roof is the only thing left worth saving, I cut off the gates 10+ years ago, and sold the rear seat base. It is really toasty....

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

By the way Tabney, thanks for bringing your Double Cab up to the Cincinnati Show last year. It was great to see it in person! Looks like you camped out the night before.

1976 Westfalia / Pickle
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

This is my 1968 Double Cab “The Black Pearl.” All of our VW’s have names and the previous owner my father bought it from in 2015 had called her that so we did too. The bus had come from Washington State and overall it was in pretty good condition. It came with what I believe to be a Franklin’s VW Werks narrowed and lowered front end. The rear torsion housing had also been narrowed and the torsion plates adjusted to lower the rear. It sits overall about 6in lower with a slight rake. Interior wise it had grey cloth seats and door panels. The engine had a bad case so it was replaced with a 1915cc, vintage speed muffler, full flow heater boxes and while we were at it a Rancho Freeway Flyer, new CV Joints and new tires. I also took out the wiper assembly (saved and boxed the original) and replaced it with a later model one and black wiper arms. My father then graciously passed on the bus to my sons and I in 2020. We enjoyed it for the summer and then it developed a motor problem. The “motor” problem turned out to be a bad ignition switch which failed while I was driving. Long story short the weight of the key engaged the starter and made a horrible racket. While I was replacing the ignition switch I ended up repainting the ignition housing and column, replacing the steering coupler, the horn and horn wiring, wiring to the brake master cylinder, replacing the fuse block, rewiring the dash, replacing all the instrument panel light bulbs and correctly fitting up the splash pan (which had been previously attached with a varied collection of screws and bolts).

This past weekend I got to show it with the Cincinnati VW Club Display at the Cincinnati Cavalcade of Customs which was a lot of fun.

1976 Westfalia / Pickle

Last edited by Robert Givler on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:

Killer photo! What color red is that?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: