Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Hi! I am in the process of getting a 1968 dual cab up and running again. It is a field find in the Yukon, Canada and is a bit of a mixed bag. The rockers are toast but the rest of it is pretty good, if a bit ugly. It used to belong to a guy with an experimental type farm, whatever that means, and then it spent about 30 years in a field before a friend of mine snagged it.

I am torn between fixing it up a bit and then flipping it or fixing it up more and keeping it! The more I work on it the more I am falling in love with it. My spare parts bin has pretty much everything it needs to make it a good driver. Only minor problem is that I already have two VW projects on the go, along with a marriage!

Anyway, here it is:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

How does the frame look?

To me its a keeper but you either need to know how to do body work properly or be willing to spend the money to get it done right. I'm pretty sure most of your rusty spots can be fixed with new prefabed metal.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Frame and underside very good. The rockers are toast but the rest is not bad, a few dents aside. The Yukon is dry and not overly sunny, so things do well sitting outdoors.

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Anybody out there got a DC with a gas heater? Mine came with one originally and I have a spare to re-install, complete with exhausts and intake and such. What I don't have is anything to show me the ducting that goes from the heater to the interior.

Thanks!

Chris
Bram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Somehow i missed this topic, but here are some pictures of my 77 doublecab.
Originally it was used by the norwegian army, so it used to be army green.
When i bought it, it was painted blue but some areas were primered or even the Paint was taken of completely.

So i did a little welding on it, since it didn't need much done.
Than i let my son Paint some art on it before i painted it blue and matched the "patina" with the rest of the truck.

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Such a handsome truck, Bram!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tabney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

I finally got around to posting pics of my 71 DC. We picked it up from near Tampa, FL in May 2020 and have had a blast with it for the past almost year.
This is how it looked when we picked it up.

This is the transformation since then.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deepcflea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

The stickers on the interior idea is kinda cool!!

Formerly owned VW's
1983 Westfalia
1956 Oval Ragtop
1967 Bug
1970 Ghia
1969 Buggy
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Is the evaporative cooler on the right side window functional?

I've got one that I intend to get running one of these years.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

my old 68 double cab. sold it about 10 years ago. should of kept it.

deepcflea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:
my old 68 double cab. sold it about 10 years ago. should of kept it.

LOL... story of my life looking back

Formerly owned VW's
1983 Westfalia
1956 Oval Ragtop
1967 Bug
1970 Ghia
1969 Buggy
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:

Killer photo! What color red is that?
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

This is my 1968 Double Cab “The Black Pearl.” All of our VW’s have names and the previous owner my father bought it from in 2015 had called her that so we did too. The bus had come from Washington State and overall it was in pretty good condition. It came with what I believe to be a Franklin’s VW Werks narrowed and lowered front end. The rear torsion housing had also been narrowed and the torsion plates adjusted to lower the rear. It sits overall about 6in lower with a slight rake. Interior wise it had grey cloth seats and door panels. The engine had a bad case so it was replaced with a 1915cc, vintage speed muffler, full flow heater boxes and while we were at it a Rancho Freeway Flyer, new CV Joints and new tires. I also took out the wiper assembly (saved and boxed the original) and replaced it with a later model one and black wiper arms. My father then graciously passed on the bus to my sons and I in 2020. We enjoyed it for the summer and then it developed a motor problem. The “motor” problem turned out to be a bad ignition switch which failed while I was driving. Long story short the weight of the key engaged the starter and made a horrible racket. While I was replacing the ignition switch I ended up repainting the ignition housing and column, replacing the steering coupler, the horn and horn wiring, wiring to the brake master cylinder, replacing the fuse block, rewiring the dash, replacing all the instrument panel light bulbs and correctly fitting up the splash pan (which had been previously attached with a varied collection of screws and bolts).

This past weekend I got to show it with the Cincinnati VW Club Display at the Cincinnati Cavalcade of Customs which was a lot of fun.

Last edited by Robert Givler on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

By the way Tabney, thanks for bringing your Double Cab up to the Cincinnati Show last year. It was great to see it in person! Looks like you camped out the night before.

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

If anyone needs a Bay DC Roof, there is one in a bone yard in N.H., I can give you the info. The roof is the only thing left worth saving, I cut off the gates 10+ years ago, and sold the rear seat base. It is really toasty....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Now, hold on a second. Yes, the roof is great. The B and C pillars, at least on the right side, seem to be worth saving for sure, even if the bottoms are a bit rotted. Maybe the panel on the other side of the crew, too. How about the rear window section? Rear corners?

What year is that?

Those can help others to live.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

It's a 1970.

Yes, there are some other good parts, cab divider wall, rear wall, rear window glass, everything down low is rotted. But it all has to be cut out, and hauled back on foot to the garage part of the junk yard, THEN they decide how much to charge you for the parts, it's a good 10 minute hike out, no way to get a car/ 4 wheeler ect. back in there, the guys that run it are cool, but not dumb or cheap. It's just a lot of time, work & ca$h to put out on spec that someone will want the stuff.

Next time I go back there I'm going for the noses off 2 ^^^ Split Buses, it's 1.5 hour drive, and will probably take me 4-5 hors to just clear the crap away from the nose of 1 Bus, THEN cut it off , they are real close to the guy's shop, so hauling tools/jack/ sawz-all, come-a-long ect. will be easier...

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

If you go out again and are so inclined... I'd be interested in the pad on top of the divider wall.

What a cool old stash in the woods!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
If you go out again and are so inclined... I'd be interested in the pad on top of the divider wall.

I'll be going back in the Spring, I'm pretty sure that pad is ripped up, is it bolted on ??
The Bone yard has been there 40-50 years, just walking in from the road to the garage, it is so narrow I could not carry the rear hatches in front of me, that I bought last time, I had to carry them by my side. Lot's of cool old stuff.

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

I'll be going back in the Spring, I'm pretty sure that pad is ripped up, is it bolted on ??

I do not know the original method of attachment. Mine was removed during a restoration and reattached using pop rivets.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: