Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Just got a 65 Bug. While it is mostly solid, needs its ass fixed. What other model years are compatible with it regarding the deck lid, the rear apron clip and the driver’s side rear fender? Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Well, any pre 67 deck lid, fender, and apron will fit but wont be correct. The deck lid needs to be a 65-66 style and I’m not sure about the fender and apron so dont quote me, but I think any fender and apron up to 67/68 will work but you still want to get a rear clip as close as possible to the OG year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Rear apron is the same shape from I believe 62-66, however the latch for the deck lid changed in either 64 or 65 (push button vs tee handle).

The 62-67 fenders are the same due to the rear light assemblies. Earlier or even later fenders would fit though, would just have to modify for lights.

67 apron and deck lid is a one year only item

*Not sure of rear apron change...maybe 60 is the year it changed

Last edited by txoval on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Thanks! Been perusing the gallery and does look like the apron/lid combo it’s the same for 65/66. The fender has a broader range but I will take some measurements since the ones on my 70 bug seem to be one slightly wider than the other. Confused
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
even later fenders would fit though, would just have to modify for lights.

and fill the hole for the overrider support

pyrOman wrote:
Thanks! Been perusing the gallery and does look like the apron/lid combo it’s the same for 65/66.

Correct.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

As far as the apron goes, if you have in incompatible year you can change the catch. Not that big of a deal. Your rear fenders are pretty interchangable with exception of over rider holes and the size of the bumper bracket cut out. I have used later fenders and fabbed plates to reduce the bumper cut out. Not hard to do.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

All fenders on this one have already been sealed up for the "euro look". Rolling Eyes
TimD_66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Any year parts would technically "fit" but assuming you want it to look correct for '65, you need:
a late '64 to '66 rear apron (for push button latch),
'65-'66 decklid (same shape but if you get a '66 on it will have 3 holes in it for the "1300" script which you could easily fill,
'62-'67 fenders (other year fenders would fit just as easily, but you'd have to put holes in the right place for the tail light).

B.L.T.N.
N.A.G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

If you are looking for correct '65, those earlier front turn signals would be changed. But they look fine as-is.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
If you are looking for correct '65, those earlier front turn signals would be changed. But they look fine as-is.

NAH...they should be changed or else some asshole at a car show is gonna point out that you have the wrong turn signals on the car.... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

It’s all good! This car is a flipper. Already have a motor to go in it. Probably ran like total shit though. Just replaced all solid motor mounts and the slamma jamma scrapeORamma narrowed front beam was so slammed that the only “give” it had was the tiny tires! Rolling Eyes

Iffin I don’t find a decent rear clip tomorrow, I’ll probably just order a new apron and sides for it. They have all that stuff new now. Cool
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
It’s all good! This car is a flipper. Already have a motor to go in it. Probably ran like total shit though. Just replaced all solid motor mounts and the slamma jamma scrapeORamma narrowed front beam was so slammed that the only “give” it had was the tiny tires! Rolling Eyes

Iffin I don’t find a decent rear clip tomorrow, I’ll probably just order a new apron and sides for it. They have all that stuff new now. Cool

ya, but most of the new stuff is either junk, or expensive. i would keep looking for a nice original unit. nothing beats factory quality and fitment. i bet if the future owner finds out you replaced that sheet metal w/ run of the mill khloker holme(or however you say it) junk they're not gonna be pleased.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Ok, you go with that! Rolling Eyes

If I was ever to try and fool anyone, why post these details for all to see. The sides of the rear clip with the bumper mounting fixtures are totally rusted through. An og clip would be just as roached. It’s actually a blessing that reproduction parts are available nowadays. And FWIW, I scored on a very decent deck lid and an og fender at the OCTO yesterday. Once I get done with it feel free to not buy it. Cool
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Ok, you go with that! Rolling Eyes

If I was ever to try and fool anyone, why post these details for all to see. The sides of the rear clip with the bumper mounting fixtures are totally rusted through. An og clip would be just as roached. It’s actually a blessing that reproduction parts are available nowadays. And FWIW, I scored on a very decent deck lid and an og fender at the OCTO yesterday. Once I get done with it feel free to not buy it. Cool

ok, then good job doing it the right way.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Now that you have a good used rear fender, how about trying some undenting on your damaged one after you remove the taillamp assembly? The large dent looks imposing, but might be workable. Try setting the fender upside-down on the lawn, wearing some thick-sole work boots, and stepping around the perimeter of the dent. Your weight should press down the dent downward/outward. Don't jump in the center all at once- try working your way inward from the outer edges of the dent.

Or, set the end of a baseball bat along the dent edges, and pound on the grip end with a hammer or just by pounding the entire bat down. Work your way around the perimeter, then spiral inwards.

Once you have the majority of the dent pressed out, you can continue with hammer/dolly. If you don't have a dolly, a slightly curved heavy metal object such as a tree cutting wedge could work, though your hand will get tired holding it.

You may get reasonable results.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Will probably try that anyway, but did get a replacement og fender which has been cleaned to bare metal showing only some surface rust and no dents. Will be ordering a new apron and both sides. Here’s what I’ve got so far...

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Was a bitch to "fit" the sides and apron! Mad

As I did with my 70, the apron is a bolt-on/removable set up. Makes for much easier engine drops! Razz

Also, pounded out the left fender. May fix it instead of using the bare one which is straight but does have some rust issues. Think

Other stuff done: new brake hoses, cylinders and master, rear bumper installed. Cool
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Looking good!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Here's more pix...

Replaced the driver's side window regulator

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Reply with quote

Not that I don't spend most of my time in the Garaj Mahal anyway but with the cornyvarious house arrest nonsense I've been dicking with the Green Bug enough to be ready for sale! Rolling Eyes

Got it all pretty much sorted out, all lights work, brakes, engine fires right up and runs like a bat out of hell! Also finally got the paint done AND buffed. Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: