Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Freeflyer Feasable?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Freeflyer Feasable? Reply with quote

So once I get my 36hp engine rebuilt, I was wondering if I could do the "Freeway Flyer" 4th gear. My trans is leaking everywhere, so it needs to come out, plus I would really like to have a synchro for first.

Looking at doing the all the period correct hop ups on engine, Okrasa Dual carb and head kit, storker crank, cam and bigger slugs & jugs

Basically I just want to be able to take this thing on the highway as needed, and cruise at 65-70 with out pushing the car to it's limits.

Looking at the ratio difference, between a normal 4th and the flyer, it is not as big of a difference as I thought it would be. 4th gear normal is .89 the flyer is .82

Any advice is appreciated
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Freeflyer Feasable? Reply with quote

Do you have a splitcase transmission still? The stock splitcase already has a .82 4th and 4.375 r&p which makes it slightly taller than a 4.125x0.89 late model trans. As far as I know the 4.125 and 3.875 tunnel case r&p won't fit the splitcase trans though.
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeflyer Feasable? Reply with quote

Yes stock split case. Looking at this

https://www.mofoco.com/item/Rebuilt_Vw_Beetle_Swingaxle_Transmission/256/c112
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeflyer Feasable? Reply with quote

You can install it with this adapter ..

https://socalautoparts.com/product/transmission-ad...lier-pans/
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeflyer Feasable? Reply with quote

The drop from a .89 to a .82 with the same r/p isn't worth the effort. And to go to a 4.12 with a .82, you'll need more engine. If you are going to switch to a tunnel case, I would just go with stock gearing and a 4.12.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: