Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

Gents-

Close to wrapping up the rebuild of my stock 1973 standard beetle 1600 dp engine. Oil pressure and Oil temperature are two things that I wonder about.

From what my understanding is, this year car was built with a basic Oil Pressure Sending Unit (Idiot Light Switch) screwed in the case, and wired to the back of the speedo.
I also understand this year model did not have oil temperature switches or gauges. I see people do use Single and Dual Pole sending units in lieu of the basic switch.

So I guess my question is really, should I use the basic switch and wire to back of speedo only? Or should I also consider adding a temperature sensor (and gauge)?

Thank you
-Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

No aircooled Beetle has a oil temp from the factory.

It's not a bad idea to add one but you need to verify that it's accurate... most are not.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

A 'SaveMyBug' or similar dipstick gives you an overheat idiot light - http://www.savemybug.com/
Can calibrate it with boiling water

I have one of these - http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Dipstick-Oil-Temperature-Gauge-p/thermo-dipstick.htm
Little overpriced imo, and it doesn't give you an indication while you're driving, but 's a simple way to know how hot the engine is getting.

The stock oil pressure switch location isn't a great place to put a temp sender (fine for a pressure sender though), the commonly recommended location for temp is the oil relief plug - http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-300F-Oil-Temp-Sending-Unit-18-X-1-5mm-p/v323064.htm
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

The stock oil pressure switch location isn't a great place to put a temp sender (fine for a pressure sender though), the commonly recommended location for temp is the oil relief plug - http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-300F-Oil-Temp-Sending-Unit-18-X-1-5mm-p/v323064.htm

Which one of the two?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I've been reading about the dipstick. Mixed reviews. Seems like it has merit though.

It would certainly give me at least "some way" of checking and I really don't want to add a gauge, as my dash does not have one nor a spot and I'd would need to drill one in place or mount it externally which I really don't want to do.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

I have the dipstick from aircooled. It works, but it's hard to read the oil level on it because of its chrome so carry the stock one for that. Mine also has moisture under the glass, also makes it tricky to read the temp.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

Vamram ... did you notch or scribe the Empty and Full lines on their dipstick? One of the videos I watched, the guy did that and said it reads it well.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

I have both a temp gauge and the Save-A-Bug dipstick.

I also keep the stock dipstick in the glove box.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn. Good to know. That is what one of the gents did too, keeping the stock dip in the glove box.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

If it's just a daily driver with a stock motor there is no need for temp. gage. If you push it hard and run down the freeway at 70MPH most of the time then you need one. These cars have done fine without one for 50 years it stock and slightly modified condition, don't over think it. Clean oil and the correct oil level is the key.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
A 'SaveMyBug' or similar dipstick gives you an overheat idiot light - http://www.savemybug.com/
Can calibrate it with boiling water

I have one of these - http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Dipstick-Oil-Temperature-Gauge-p/thermo-dipstick.htm
Little overpriced imo, and it doesn't give you an indication while you're driving, but 's a simple way to know how hot the engine is getting.

I have found the stock pressure location is a nice place for a temperature sender. The temperature there read nearly the same as that of the oil in the sump. The relief valve location is problematic do to the sender being exposed to road debris.

As for senders, Aircooled.net is one of the higher priced vendors. you can by buying elsewhere save a good deal..
$44.95 at aircooled.net, verses $32.46 (free shipping too)

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-80psi-Oil-Pressure-Sending-Unit-1-8-27-NPTF-p/v360003.htm $44.95 Crying or Very sad

https://www.amazon.com/VDO-360003-Pressure-Sender/dp/B0000AZ616 $32.46 Laughing yippie!

If given one of the gages, temperature or pressure of oil, Id pick pressure as the first choice. the pressure will be influenced by temperature. so high temps will be seen as low pressure, plus oil starvation will be instantly indicated by a low pressure reading. A temp sensor wont give you much help in the case of oil starvation.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
As for senders, Aircooled.net is one of the higher priced vendors. you can by buying elsewhere save a good deal..

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-80psi-Oil-Pressure-Sending-Unit-1-8-27-NPTF-p/v360003.htm $44.95 Crying or Very sad

https://www.amazon.com/VDO-360003-Pressure-Sender/dp/B0000AZ616 $32.46 Laughing yippie!

Right, and you got the part number off aircooled.net 
VDO makes a variety of senders, there's a very good chance that if you buy the one aircooled.net recommends it'll work for the listed application. 
There's some value in that (esp if I wanted to, say, link an example sender in a forum post), and most ACVW shops aren't going to be price competitive with Amazon.  

bluebus86 wrote:
If given one of the gages, temperature or pressure of oil, Id pick pressure as the first choice. the pressure will be influenced by temperature. so high temps will be seen as low pressure, plus oil starvation will be instantly indicated by a low pressure reading. A temp sensor wont give you much help in the case of oil starvation.

Bug On!

Agreed, I just run oil pressure (plus voltage and a tach) as well.
If you watch it for a bit you learn the usual ranges and can then tell when something is wrong.

A SaveMyBug dipstick is great for a simple idiot light though.
I also just keep my stock dipstick handy.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Right, and you got the part number off aircooled.net 
VDO makes a variety of senders, there's a very good chance that if you buy the one aircooled.net recommends it'll work for the listed application. 
There's some value in that (esp if I wanted to, say, link an example sender in a forum post), and most ACVW shops aren't going to be price competitive with Amazon.  

bluebus86 wrote:

Bug On!

Agreed, I just run oil pressure (plus voltage and a tach) as well.
If you watch it for a bit you learn the usual ranges and can then tell when something is wrong.

A SaveMyBug dipstick is great for a simple idiot light though.
I also just keep my stock dipstick handy.

Both Amazon and higher priced Aircooled.net sell the same part number VDO product. That part number can be found on either website. However the part number is much more prominently displayed on the Amazon page. (It took some searching to find the VDO part number on Aircooled.net) The application is also listed on both websites, both list pressure range and thread size, however Aircooled.net does not list the voltage, while Amazon does, an important consideration if you drive a 6 volt Bug. Amazon list voltage range of 6 to 24 volts

I find it unlikely the sender sold by Amazon will be less likely to work than that sold by the higher priced Aircooled.net. One seller is a good deal less expensive than the other, and there is some value to that!

Also Amazon has free shipping, Aircooled .net to central California lists $10.40 as the cheapest shipping price

Thus $10.40 saved on shipping, $12.49 saved on price equals $22.89 Saved! That's a good savings.

Bug On, With Money in the Bank!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

Well, I did end up getting the standard oil pressure sensor and the dipstick. I figured an easy solution to keep an eye on temp.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

I personally run with the SaveMyBug dipstick. Overheat warning is great on 90F+ days running on the mountain highways here. That little flickering light has taught me lots about my engine's "tendencies" which has proven a great value for the $30 or so it costs.

Additionally, you can estimate the oil temp via a bit of calculations for the 'wire' of the SaveMyBug. Orient it such that the contact screw is at the "12 o'clock" position and you can gauge your oil temp at pit stops by visually looking at what "Hour" the wire is at.

Generally speaking, my bug runs between 9 and 11 o'clock on the the "clockface" of the dipstick- which equates to 180F-220F (all dependent on temperature, driving type, decklid prop or not).

If you choose to do this, you'll need to calculate your dipstick to account for any variation between units.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

Thanks Nate for the tips. I bought the same device from aircooled.net
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

Concerning aircooled.net prices, as opposed to Amazon, I’m not so destitute that I’ll save a few dollars by going with Amazon.

Good, honest VW vendors need our support. And, unless you pay a yearly Prime fee with Amazon, you don’t get free shipping on most items.

Regardless, my preference is to shop VW vendors, period. The more business that goes to Amazon, the fewer old and trusted VW vendors can stay in business.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

Tim I agree with you.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Tim I agree with you.

Especially online vendors that offer up knowledge on the forums. That’s salesmanship I can get with and support.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
markeaton wrote:
Tim I agree with you.

Especially online vendors that offer up knowledge on the forums. That’s salesmanship I can get with and support.

$23 in savings is great salespersonship.

Plenty of great knowledge on Samba comes from non vendors, rather than coming from high priced vendors.

Bug On!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: