Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today's Rant
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Today's Rant Reply with quote

RANT:

Last week Mrs. Cusser bought some Oster Professional Animal Clippers for her horse. Today she went to use them, and the electric cord housing fell off, so she asked me what she was doing wrong. Well, some F-Tard at the factory had forgotten to install the two screws that hold that housing to the body of the clippers. Retail shop is 20 miles away, downtown.

So I called Oster, asked for technical support to find out the thread size and length of the two screws, so I could possibly pick up at Ace Hardware, F-Tard phone operator with thick accent won't transfer me, doesn't understand that I want the screw specifications. I ask to speak with her supervisor, after being on hold that doesn't happen, tells me to return the clippers to the store. I briefly explain (using Mr. Wonderful's voice from Shark Tank) that this will cost Oster money and effort, and such practice eventually leads to folks like her losing their jobs. I ask if Oster could mail me two screws, she says Oster doesn't do that. She says I could go on Oster's website and that might parts information about buyin g such part, I tell her that I'm not paying $9 shipping for 20 cent screws. I ask to speak to a man, doesn't happen.

Anyway, while this was going on, Mrs. Cusser calls the retail shop in town; the repair guy quickly agrees to send two screws in today's mail.

Anyway, I later check Oster's website, all that does is tell me to call Oster same number and get a service center !!! What F-Tards, my favorite new word !!!

The corresponding screws in her older - but still operational - clipper are about 3mm thread by 26mm long, but I don't know for sure if metric or not, or if the new clipper uses the same screws. So I'll wait.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

Here we go again, any chance Cusser gets to talk about screws & filling holes... Razz

So... if the older clipper was still operational... why exactly did she get a new one? Wink

OOH, ooh, I know, to frustrate the hell out of you. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

When they don't want to transfer you to a super, but want you to do the legwork, try this:

I calmly ask them if they work for free. When they answer no, I state that I do not either. I then inform them that I would be happy to do their job for them, at my customary rate of $100 per hour, and to please verbally confirm agreement with this arrangement, and by the way, I am taping this phone call.

The silence is usually followed by my being transferred, since dealing with crazy is out of their pay grade.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

Omertà

Last edited by Spezialist on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
When they don't want to transfer you to a super, but want you to do the legwork, try this:

I calmly ask them if they work for free. When they answer no, I state that I do not either. I then inform them that I would be happy to do their job for them, at my customary rate of $100 per hour, and to please verbally confirm agreement with this arrangement, and by the way, I am taping this phone call.

The silence is usually followed by my being transferred, since dealing with crazy is out of their pay grade.

This is the way I deal with the cable company when they want me to reboot, reset, and screw with the cable box when they have an outage.
Once I get a higher up, my favorite is to tell them that their useless equipment needs to be removed from the premises, and the storage fee accrues at $500 an hour, and the equipment not released except for cash payment, checks not accepted; a receipt will be provided.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

You mean I am not the only f@#ktard magnet? # no f@#ktards allowed!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

The older clipper still works, but she was told several times that it is on its last legs.

The screws will screw into plastic, and I wasn't sure that the screws from the older unit would be the same size. And because these screws are about 3mm diameter with small heads, I didn't want to risk "cutting" new threads into the plastic. And if metric, I don 't have long 3mm screws.

However, the rant gets WORSE, much worse. An hour later got certified letter from IRS wanting $3400 from my 2017 taxes or they'll seize or lien my property. It turns out that my former employer (foreign corporation) made a mistake on my 2017 W2, so I corrected that and sent that in with my taxes. In Sept. 2019, I get a letter from IRS billing me $3400 for that so I call; agent looks into this, updates my computer file to show that I dispute this, tells me to send back the letter with box checked "I do not agree", and sign it. I do that, get another such letter in mid-December wanting the $3400. I call again, am told that IRS mis-classified my response, even though that's what my file said. So I send in more copies then, get yet another similar letter in mid-January. I call a third time, IRS says they never received two separate mailings to their Reconsideration Office in Ogden; so agent says to fax directly to her, and she called back later and said she received the fax and would push it along. So today I call again after receiving the letter, call the number provided there; after half an hour they transfer me to Reconsideration Dep't, and I'm told that once IRS classified me as "agreeing", it cannot simply be stopped, has to go through an entire review process. Today's agent said 3 to 6 weeks after receiving it (mid-January), and it's been 4 weeks now. This is like Groundhog Day in The Twilight Zone.

Just watch: I can see IRS going forward and seizing $3400 from my bank stuff, and then having to fight to get that restored.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

Time to call the local TV troubleshooter. The more shark-like the better. It will be a good ratings-generating story, with tax time coming up.

Also try your federal representatives (the more local the better, like House members), especially if they are up for re-election. They want feel good stories and your solution could be one of them.

You might make it hard on them and open a new account (maybe in a relative's name), and cash out the old one. It may delay them f'ing your accounts for a while.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

Nothing is built well anymore and the customer service people usually hate their jobs and have no fear of getting fired for being a-holes to the customers. Two months ago, I went through THREE kitchenaid toasters, all internet orders through kitchenaid's website, which required back and forths to the FedEx place to keep dropping off the crappy ones they kept sending me. Before that, it took over two months for a GE gas stove I ordered to actually get delivered. Then, it was jacked up right out of the box. Three more of the exact same model stoves were delivered and each was equally jacked up (a manufacturing defect and QC's asleep at the helm!) Lowe's was even more incompetent to deal with during all this nonsense!

Sorry for the hijack. But GD-IT! This !$ht pisses me off, too, because (to your point) it costs the customer unnecessary time and aggravation for which we receive absolutely nothing in return, simply because they couldn't build it right in the first place :2gunfire:

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

just an add to, not to hijack

Working for the DOD, we get transferred and we get allowances for living overseas. We get mis-paid a lot. We get debt letters that says we owe money and to send a check to the US Treasury by a certain date or they will garnish our wages. As union member this is illegal as we have rights. I received one for a little over $600, I was eh, not too bad, but filed the paperwork to check. It turns out I received the amount out of MY retirement investments (MY MONEY) and the wanted me to pay THE US TREASURY back (it's my money that I received).

DFAS figured this out and said "hey you can just pay it back into your retirement, sorry about this "fraud". UH, no...I paid taxes on this already, so put it back in and when I get it again I pay taxes on it again-exactly WTF?
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

Just by older appliances on evil bay/estate sales/thrift stores. Plentiful and affordable. I very,very rarely buy anything "new", because its junk most of the time.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I get a letter from IRS billing me $3400 for that so I call; agent looks into this, updates my computer file to show that I dispute this, tells me to send back the letter with box checked "I do not agree", and sign it..

how the fuck did you get a IRS agent on the phone? when my mother cashed out I was trying to do the right thing and settle her estate. long story short, after talking to my tax preparer she told me good luck getting someone on the phone. after 1 hour on hold, I gave up.

my wife is a federal employee and WORKS in the SAME building as the IRS, has security clearance etc....so, she went in to talk to them. the cocksucker she talked to literally shrugged and said "your husband will have to call" this was after she explained the whole situation, and brought the paperwork in with her.

after the 10th or 11th letter I had received/mailed back to them (with delivery/signature confirmation) I finally wrote a letter stating they need to call me. I included a copy of her death certificate and never heard back. the simple fact you got someone on the phone is amazing to me. well done

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
RANT:

I ask to speak to a man

Gotta call that out.

Total bullshit, plain and simple.

And just a fucked up thing to say.

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

Liveonjg wrote:
Cusser wrote:
RANT:

I ask to speak to a man

Gotta call that out.

Total bullshit, plain and simple.

And just a fucked up thing to say.

Read “Why Men Don’t Iron, The Fascinating Unalterable Differences between Men and Women”

Anyone who thinks basic biology can be undone by social conditioning, laws or rules doesn’t have a place at the table.

Arguing with science is running with scissors.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

I would take the clipper part with the threaded holes to the fastener aisle of the hardware store and start trying different screws until one threads in. It will take ten minutes at most and you're G O N E gone!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:

Read “Why Men Don’t Iron, The Fascinating Unalterable Differences between Men and Women”

That sounds like some head in the sand reasoning to me. Don’t try to hide your sexism behind science.

I even know how to use an iron.

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I would take the clipper part with the threaded holes to the fastener aisle of the hardware store and start trying different screws until one threads in. It will take ten minutes at most and you're G O N E gone!

Dave

But then he wouldn't be able to whine about it online
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

Liveonjg wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

That sounds like some head in the sand reasoning to me. Don’t try to hide your sexism behind science.

I even know how to use an iron.

So it’s fair to call you a man?
But you didn’t read the book, but you criticize me and the book based on what? Your feelings?
My question is this, are they today’s feelings wholly or is there some quagmire bubbling in there?
I’ve already answered my first question myself.
But go ahead by all means an degrade an honest opinion based on actual reasoning, experience and education.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Today's Rant Reply with quote

I know of a half dozen legendary "counter women", who were excellent.

Clearly it is possible for a woman to do the job as well or better, tho they are rarer.
it's worse than ten to one, but even if it was equal opportunity it would be no less than 5 to one by my guess.

Same way it is possible for a white guy to play pro basketball, just not as common. Possible of course, but odds are against it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: