Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new to me 67’
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: My new to me 67’ Reply with quote

Slowly working on my 67’ I recently purchased. Initial plans are to get the drop spindles in the front and adjust the rear accordingly. Have a new 1600 single port being built. Needs carpet and a headliner. Torn if I’m going to change out the seat upholstery. Have the side panels in black currently but it came with original gray and off white rear panels. Looking for the doors panels to match these is quite pricey, so I’m thinking of just using the blacks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My new to me 67’ Reply with quote

Welcome, and it's a great Bug, you will enjoy it!

A few notes, sorry if they sound picky, they are meant to be helpful.
Engine Bay: Plug those two fresh air hose outlets (2" diameter) ASAP or you will fry your engine! That air cleaner means your breather hose is missing and you may get oil spray in your engine bay.
Motor is from a later car; nothing wrong, but don't assume it's stock.
Of course remove the plastic gas filter; use a metal one in the line next to the tranny.
In fact, replace all fuel lines including those plus one under the tank.
When you drop the engine to repair/replace, refit firewall sound/heat insulation.
Wheels/hubcaps are from an earlier car; '67 had 10-slot wheels and flat hubcaps.
USA '67s all (most?) had black door cards, not 2-tone. Like your wheels, they are probably from an earlier year.
Bumpers look to be original German; do not replace them with newer (temporarily) shinier ones!
Lowering may may it look cool to you, but it fouls the handling. In '67 VW raised the front, lowered the rear, both to reduce oversteer and increase stability.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My new to me 67’ Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Welcome, and it's a great Bug, you will enjoy it!

A few notes, sorry if they sound picky, they are meant to be helpful.
Engine Bay: Plug those two fresh air hose outlets (2" diameter) ASAP or you will fry your engine! That air cleaner means your breather hose is missing and you may get oil spray in your engine bay.
Motor is from a later car; nothing wrong, but don't assume it's stock.
Of course remove the plastic gas filter; use a metal one in the line next to the tranny.
In fact, replace all fuel lines including those plus one under the tank.
When you drop the engine to repair/replace, refit firewall sound/heat insulation.
Wheels/hubcaps are from an earlier car; '67 had 10-slot wheels and flat hubcaps.
USA '67s all (most?) had black door cards, not 2-tone. Like your wheels, they are probably from an earlier year.
Bumpers look to be original German; do not replace them with newer (temporarily) shinier ones!
Lowering may may it look cool to you, but it fowls the handling. In '67 VW raised the front, lowered the rear, both to reduce oversteer and increase stability.

I agree with most everything Phil said.
If your DP engine has the heater boxes. Install the fresh air tubes from the fan shroud to the heater box inlets below the rear breast plate.

Also, you're missing the little sealing tins that go around the heat riser tubes (Silverish, small diameter tube) on either side of the engine. The tins are to be installed between the heat riser tube and the cylinder tins.

Nice 67. The front bumper looks real straight.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My new to me 67’ Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I should have been more descriptive in my original post. The current engine the car is actually being pulled out as a new engine will be arriving soon. I am not currently driving the car and took the hoses off the heat exchangers. I just purchased the smoothies and had them powder coated black. The goal is not to bring it back to original. Just building it to my liking.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My new to me 67’ Reply with quote

20 years ago I built up a '69 Beetle sold to me as a parts car into a registered, driveable car. I utilized several parts that I already had, including black original German door panels. I wanted to change the door panel color so I bought a can of SEM brand vinyl spray paint at a good FLAPS.

First I cleaned/scrubbed the panels using SimpleGreen to get loose dirt off the surface. Soft bristle brush such as for cleaning hands. Rinsed it off with a mist of water. After drying it, I wiped the surface off with a paint prep cleaner, though isopropyl alcohol on a lint-free cloth will also work well. I set the panels horizontally/flat outdoors in the morning sun. After a few hours they had heated up significantly, which helps the spray paint to adhere. Applied a light first coat of ivory color and let it get tacky after 5-10 minutes. Applied a 2nd coat, let it sit, and a final coat. Let it dry completely for a few days before installing in the car. It worked well as to paint coverage and durability, though I sold the car a year later.

If your rear panels are two-tone grey and off-white, you can mask off your front black panels and spray 1 color at a time. Wait a week to let the paint fully dry, then use a weak adhesive "painter's tape" to make a straight line to separate the first color, mask over most of the painted panel, and prep for the 2nd color. 1 can for each color should be enough.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My new to me 67’ Reply with quote

Will your new single-port engine have the "doghouse" fan shroud and its wider cooling fan, or will it utilize a stock 1500/1600 SP shroud and fan? Reason is, that if a doghouse shroud + fan are fitted, the fan is wider than that in a 1500 and will draw in more air.

It appears as though your engine lid does not have cooling slots, which would be the stock configuration for a '67. A doghouse shroud + fan will need more cooling air. Easiest way for that is to install a short spacer in the original engine lid's bottom latch to that there is an air gap to the body. This will allow much more air into the engine while driving, but you'll need to remove the spacer to close the lid after each drive to keep out critters, etc. A tennis ball with a slit cut into it is an easy spacer. Fit the lid's latch into the slit, then let the lid come down. The weight of the lid will keep slight pressure on the latch/ball so that it won't move while driving.
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My new to me 67’ Reply with quote

No one mentioned it but the distributor is wrong. It's not making drveability better but usually worse. I've always wondered why people mount a 009 or something like that instead of the right one.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My new to me 67’ Reply with quote

67Scott wrote:
Slowly working on my 67’ I recently purchased. Initial plans are to get the drop spindles in the front and adjust the rear accordingly.

Why? It looks like a decent car that could be a nice driver. It hasn't been hacked and chopped, narrowed and lowered, or whatever else the latest fad is. Why condemn it to the ranks of the tens of thousands of VWs that have been modified for the benefit of future junkyard crushers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: