Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Window Accessories
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bilscho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

I bought a pair of indicator lights for my 59 beetle a few years ago. Finally ready to think about fitting when a friend suggested they would be more appropriate on a split window, would appreciate thought from those in the know.

Was thinking of mounting below the bumper but not sure how they were fitted originally, if indeed the where.

Thanks

Bill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

They're not a thing of beauty, whichever way you look at them! Look more suitable for use on a truck. I'm sure others will be able to suggest something more pleasing to the eye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with Martin. They were used on commercial vehicles and tractors etc. Hanomags and the like. Are you looking to fit to front or back? If back, I would suggest fitting lights behind grill under rear window. They are easier for modern drivers to see as they are used to high level brake lights and won't be scanning the bumper area.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

Bilscho wrote:
I bought a pair of indicator lights for my 59 beetle a few years ago. Finally ready to think about fitting when a friend suggested they would be more appropriate on a split window, would appreciate thought from those in the know.

Was thinking of mounting below the bumper but not sure how they were fitted originally, if indeed the where.

Thanks

Bill

… I see, in your gallery, that you have a bus too - i'd try to locate a place, on your bus, for those lights - maybe as a side marker - I think, when your friend suggested, on a split window, he meant on the type 2 split
Not bad-lookin' lights
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Bilscho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

Just been sent a link, picture on page 3

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/7_52_bosc...WCZS8kcKH0
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

I've changed my mind from, they are not a thing of beauty, to they are hideous.

Below is a page reproduced from that Bosch catalogue mentioned above, showing them fitted to a split Beetle. They are brutally functional, in that other drivers can certainly see them, and Bosch were looking to up their sales, but for the UK, standard, 'Limpet' like, standard Lucas units are far more in keeping.

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

[quote="Martin Southwell"]I've changed my mind from, they are not a thing of beauty, to they are hideous.

… FUNNY - I'm not gunna' change my mind - not bad looking lights - in the "right" application - no where, on that split bug, did they look wonderful - if you love 'em, use 'em - if you are looking, for opinions - I think you have a few.
… Be interesting to see where the finally end up. I'm sure, we all do things that make us happy, where others have different opinions...

… Here is a friend's '55 with extra rear lights - not bad looking - just not for me. He lives in California, where there is tons of traffic and he feels, these lights keep him safer - we live in rural Oklahoma, where on the road, one rarely encounters another vehicle - generally, i'd say, we don't need extra lighting - we even use our semaphores when we turn. If there is ever another behind me, I also use my hand signals, even though most, have no clew, what they all mean - guess, all situations are different...

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

I've fitted small motorcycle flashers with LED units installed. They have two flasher units to enable them to work at the same time as the trafficators (semaphores).
These light are fitted to easily removable brackets and connect with waterproof plug/socket so that they can be removed for shows if necessary.
They were purchased from http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/

Mine look like this...

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

These cars were built with semaphores and those are the only turn signals I will ever run on my car. So far so good.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

Ah but these cars were built for use when traffic was minuscule and slow in comparison to today.

I see your car has a HO17 sticker on the front screen, how comfortable did you feel driving hundreds of miles to Hessisch on Europe's 21st century motorway traffic with only semaphores to indicate your intentions?

I can assure you that I felt more assured with even small flashing indicators supplementing the semaphores on UK motorways to the English Channel then through France, Belgium and Germany to visit Bad Camberg last year than I did without them when visiting HO in 2017.

Safety first to preserve both my car and myself is my motto.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

My experience driving my 1950 Standard with semaphores in New York brought to light two issues. #1 - most people think they are cute but don't know what they are for, and #2- using hand signals is often misinterpreted as a rude gesture. I plan to install LED lights behind the air intake grill below the split window before I venture out again ! Gene
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Accessories Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
My experience driving my 1950 Standard with semaphores in New York brought to light two issues. #1 - most people think they are cute but don't know what they are for, and #2- using hand signals is often misinterpreted as a rude gesture. I plan to install LED lights behind the air intake grill below the split window before I venture out again ! Gene

… now in very unpopulated Oklahoma - but from the NYC metro and I completely agree with you - was even worse in our 1955 Messerschmitt - almost got run-over, many times - happy to be away from all that NYC madness.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: