Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
warmblood58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

My van had been sitting for four years and found blower non op, blowing fuse, etc and yesterday, I used the Mullendore Port technique with some aerokroil and let it penetrate overnight. I purchase a piece of aluminum rod material and I was hoping I could angle it in through the Mullendore Port to lever the squirrel cage but it is tricky . . .Is there another way to access fan that will allow me to turn squirrel cage with my hand so I can free it up a little? Perhaps by removing glove box? Thanks!
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

Seems like you have reached the end of the line... Pull the dash and be done with it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

Short answer?

Nope.

Pull the dash, fix it right.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

Removing the glove box is a good idea for access, and your best option for opening up much more access.I don't know that you can get to the cage from that direction though. I just replaced mine and i'm trying to remember if you remove the hoses for the vents if you get access, and I don't think so.

My best bet would be to remove the two defrost vents in the middle of the dash and go in that way. I believe the cage is open to the drivers side, but cannot remember for sure either. Both are easy to remove and it should be pretty clear after some poking around through each one.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

Mine got seized but I was able to get it to spin by abruptly turning the switch to the highest speed. That broke it free when the low speed would just blow a fuse.

I then used the port trick to lube it and it has been fine for many years since.

Yeah, a bit of a Hail Mary but worth a try before you start taking things apart.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

You're on the right track already to try to hook a fan blade, but some wire you can bend more creatively would probably be easier to use than a rod. It helps a lot to make a second M-port to see thru while you work thru the first one. And you should have a helper there to switch the fan on at the same time you pull your hook to make it spin, otherwise you'll just keep blowing fuses.

Once you get it spinning keep it running and spray some lube on the end bearing. You probably know Kroil is not a good lube, neither is WD40, you need something that will hang around like TriFlow.

I've found after lubing that getting some electrical cleaner on the commutator and brushes restores the full power, the lube gets on there and adds resistance to the brush contact.

It's always worth trying this and see how you do because some of the replacement fan motors are poor quality, not that the OEM motors weren't pretty crappy already, so pulling the dash doesn't offer any guarantees you won't be right back in there. Some replacements have an actual sealed bearing instead of a plain bushing, if you can find one of those you'd have better assurance the new one isn't a bigger piece of crap than the old one.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

Compressed air blow gun might be of use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

The advice to remove the glove box above is actually bad advice. You won't be able to access the blower from there.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

You can use the now-drilled port as a tiny window to see the cage, and try to move it with a coathanger or other stiff wire- For light, do this, which is what I did, gently shove a thin LED inspection/flash light[ they tend to have the bulb style that's 90 degrees from the body, shining outward] up into the Air Intake. If it's a pocket sized version with a magnet on the body of the light, even better as it will cling to the steel and stay in place for you. It's tight ,and a bit worrisome that once you've gone past the curved section of the intake, you'll lose the flashlight. But with nimble fingers, you won't.

I'll show the light I used to illuminate the whole rear end of the blower once my port was drilled. This one is longer than you need, but even at 15 1/2” long, it snuck up past the curved deflector and right into the hole for the intake, shining the blower motor nicely.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Tool-Storage/250-Lumen-Tool-Storage-Drawer-Light/ECTSB022
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

I have two holes drilled of pretty good size, maybe 1"???. This gives both good visibility and access.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

Wait?!

What happened to the "Easy Way" part of the question?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

Perhaps the OP meant "easy" an in relatively easy compared to pulling the dash?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to manually turn heater blower fan with my hand? Access Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Wait?!

What happened to the "Easy Way" part of the question?

Dave
My way IS easy, single 3/8" diameter Mullendore Port, and a small LED inspection light to illuminate the rear end of the blower once you've drilled the port access. Nothing else other than coathanger and spray lube needed.
Although with my Vanistan Fresh Air Flap installed now on my Vanagon, I don't have the same room to pull the light into the intake hole like I once did.
Oh well, the Mullendore Port remains in place for the future. Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: