Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1+3 spark plug access
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

So seeing as they're nigh on impossible to get to without shredding my hands or taking the IDA off I was thinking of drilling a ~24mm hole in the inner wing just big enough to get the socket through on each side and use a rubber blanking plug.

Is this a done thing or do peopple have a better solution?

Cheers.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

Did that 40 years ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Top wrench.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

People have been known to put access doors on inner panel for just that purpose....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

Next time you have the engine out and a little time on your hands,
http://www.hookyspanelshop.com/our-panels/hipacs.html

I'm thinking of doing this.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

Cheers guys, yeah used Hookeys stuff before, did look at those HiPacs but it is quite invasive... Glenns hole looks good! Although I'd bung it personally Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Although I'd bung it personally Very Happy

Did it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Did that 40 years ago.

Did similar 45 years ago on my 1970.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

Full access:

I had to because my injectors stick out, too.

I did the little hole with bung for my carbed beetle.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Full access:

Decent!
Why not just put the injectors inboard?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
FreeBug wrote:
Full access:

Decent!

But then they're not pointing down to the back of the valve....and I'm using DCNF pattern throttle bodies, not so many options.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

When I queried injector placement, the consensus was that it didn't really matter. I expect low speed/off idle to be slightly affected but I guess the uninformed (me) could argue the higher up/inboard injector has far longer to fully mix with the intake.

Who knows, several ways to skin the cat.

FreeBug wrote:
UK Luke 72 wrote:
FreeBug wrote:
Full access:

Decent!

But then they're not pointing down to the back of the valve....and I'm using DCNF pattern throttle bodies, not so many options.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
When I queried injector placement, the consensus was that it didn't really matter. I expect low speed/off idle to be slightly affected but I guess the uninformed (me) could argue the higher up/inboard injector has far longer to fully mix with the intake.

Who knows, several ways to skin the cat.

FreeBug wrote:
UK Luke 72 wrote:
FreeBug wrote:
Full access:

Decent!

Look where the car industry puts them...
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

For efficiency over power/response though I guess?

Hey, I'm not knocking your setup at all btw, genuinely just curious.
I was originally going to mount my injectors outboard with some custom manifolds but came across this setup I'm currently going with.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

I don't feel knocked at all! I think you and others are right. It doesn't really matter. I imagine the industry does it for emissions?

Anyway, it forced me to make those access covers, and I am so happy I did, plug changes are a doddle, once you remove the rear tires (sorry, tyres), which I do anyway to adjust valves. Almost makes it fun, and keeping the skin on your knuckles is the "in thing" these days. I don't even hardly ever get burned these days, either. Boring.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

The direct injection stuff in my Audi is supposedly for emissions but causes trouble with the inlet coking up due to not having any fuel to wash the crud through...
The pros must outweigh the cons though for the OEMs but our goals are invariably quite dissimilar!

Yeah those covers are very good, I'm rather tempted! I think I'll try the bungs first though.

Cheers!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

The closer you get the spray to the valve, the more control you can have over injection timing. That’s if you have a cam sync. Without it, you sometimes end up spraying the closed valve, so you waste more fuel.

And btw, I just learned this, as I’m getting into injection for he next engine.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
The closer you get the spray to the valve, the more control you can have over injection timing. That’s if you have a cam sync. Without it, you sometimes end up spraying the closed valve, so you waste more fuel.

Are people now often running sequential injection? I'm still on old-fashioned batch fire. Oh, well. Embarassed
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

I have a cheap stamped sheet metal spark plug socket I bought off ebay. It's the style where they take a tube and expand one end into a hex, the other end just has a couple holes for you to put a screw driver through to turn it. I've had good lock with that on dual carb setups and an unmodified engine bay. PITA but also 100% do-able.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
I have a cheap stamped sheet metal spark plug socket I bought off ebay. It's the style where they take a tube and expand one end into a hex, the other end just has a couple holes for you to put a screw driver through to turn it. I've had good lock with that on dual carb setups and an unmodified engine bay. PITA but also 100% do-able.

That sound like the stock plug "socket" in the "modern" tool kit. Does this mean you manageto pull plugs without taking out parts of the intake Carbs, manifolds, or both)?

P.S. When i read "stock 36 hp '56 European delux oval" I started to drool so
bad...... you owe me a new computer! Where's the envious emoji?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1+3 spark plug access Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

Yes....

And yes....injector spray angle DOES matter. But there is no rule for it. You will find engines that run at different rpms, have different port velocity ....use paired injection, batch fired injection, constant injection.....have different load sensing.....MAP, MAP + MAF or hotwire or hotwire + MAP.....have vacuum indexed fuel preszure or not.

All of these things affect running from millisecond to millisecond....which affect airflow and map....which affect signal and fueling. Leverage all of that with cam and rpm range (say constant high rpm versus light to light,street driving).......and all or that makes a difference when leveraged by injector position and spfay pattern.

Anyone who tells you that one way is ALWAYS correct....will be right on some applications and totally wrong on others.

Spray pattern width, droplet size and distance from valve and port wall can all make a difference.

The problem with valve carbonizing in modern direct injection engines....some 9f them are solving this with "dual injection"....meaning a normal set of low pressure upstream injectors that only run at certain times or cycles.....just for keeping the valves clean. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: