Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Udo Becker lifter questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

After losing a set of racing lifters and then a Webcam 86b camshaft and another set of racing lifters. I bought a set of Udo's lifters from ACN.

Is there any prep work required for the lifters before installing them and the new Webcam 86b? The lifter bores are bronzed. Brothers did the work a while back.
I'll be using camshield on the cam lobes and the lifters during assembly.

Also is the Webcam 86b compatible with Udo lifters? I know a dumb question. But I need to know as I'm tired of going through my engine on a regular basis due to valve train issues.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

I thought they were compatible with everything. That's one mean setup you have, sounds pretty bulletproof to me. Kick ass!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

Do you know why you’re losing cams and lifters yet? Are you running crazy heavy springs like 650s?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Do you know why you’re losing cams and lifters yet? Are you running crazy heavy springs like 650s?

That would be my question too... along with which oil you are using? And finally, have you done a proper cam break in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Theconvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

Cb650 springs are not that strong, pat uses a lot of them with no problems so why would they be too much pressure
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

The way I have always treated Udo Lifters...

If your Web Cam is a pre clearanced SC1 blank Do Not use Udo’s Lifters.

Udo’s lifters are only compatible with EP12 cam blanks.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

KROC wrote:

What cam break in procedure do you use with the Udo/s lifters?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
After losing a set of racing lifters and then a Webcam 86b camshaft and another set of racing lifters. I bought a set of Udo's lifters from ACN.

Is there any prep work required for the lifters before installing them and the new Webcam 86b? The lifter bores are bronzed. Brothers did the work a while back.
I'll be using camshield on the cam lobes and the lifters during assembly.

Also is the Webcam 86b compatible with Udo lifters? I know a dumb question. But I need to know as I'm tired of going through my engine on a regular basis due to valve train issues.

In my OPINION, if you are wiping out lifters; you have another valve train problem that must be fixed. I've never used the gold plated million dollar lifters BUT I do use the standard Brazil lifters in every single build and have no problems. This may be a dumb question but are you making sure you have clearance between the lobe and the lifter face? Sometimes when cases are sleeved and some brands of lifters sit higher in the case and give less(or no) clearance.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

bugguy1967 - The springs are dual coil that the Tim's installed when the heads were built.
Altrup - I'm running VR-1 30wt.
KROK - I have ordered a Webcam 86b pre-clearanced. I'm not sure what blank they use when grinding the camshaft.
vwinnovator - I did the cam break in as described here by many users. Fire off the engine and bring the rpm's up to 2K. Vary the throttle position a little up and down but not crazy or at idle until the 20 minute break in time has elapsed.
roy@mofoco - I checked that there was clearance between the lifters and the cam lobes when I built the engine. I don't remember the measurement. But it was over 0.040".

I already have the Udo's in hand.

The last two sets of lifters were CB Racing lifters. Both times I took the engine apart after running it for a while. There was visible pitting on the lifter faces 1st build.
2nd build the lifters and cam lobe failed completely.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
KROC wrote:

What cam break in procedure do you use with the Udo/s lifters?

10w-30 of your choice, + bottle gm eos.

Prelube engine with electric prime pump.

fire it up @2000 rpm for 15-20 mins very rpms a little bit, blip throttle once in while.
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
bugguy1967 - The springs are dual coil that the Tim's installed when the heads were built.
Altrup - I'm running VR-1 30wt.
KROK - I have ordered a Webcam 86b pre-clearanced. I'm not sure what blank they use when grinding the camshaft.
vwinnovator - I did the cam break in as described here by many users. Fire off the engine and bring the rpm's up to 2K. Vary the throttle position a little up and down but not crazy or at idle until the 20 minute break in time has elapsed.
roy@mofoco - I checked that there was clearance between the lifters and the cam lobes when I built the engine. I don't remember the measurement. But it was over 0.040".

I already have the Udo's in hand.

The last two sets of lifters were CB Racing lifters. Both times I took the engine apart after running it for a while. There was visible pitting on the lifter faces 1st build.
2nd build the lifters and cam lobe failed completely.

A pre clearanced Webcam will have the cast in pre clearanced sections most likely. this will be an SC1 blank. no go with Udo’s in my opinion.

I guess you will have to wait. to see what they sell you. If I were you I would contact Udo and get the final word.

Don’t guess or risk it....
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

That VR1 has some zinc but might not be enuff for a good break in.

Comp Cams break in oil is loaded with zinc.
12 pack for $60 shipped, best deal out there:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133312348441

These are my CB lightweights and CB cam after break in with comp cams break in oil. Even after a light polish to highlight imperfections there is no pitting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

The current matterial of construction for Webcam blanks is something called,
From the Webcam site,
"CAST BILLET
A term used to describe a camshaft which is made from a casting. The material for the casting is a special grade of iron alloy called "Proferal."
Modok had a discussion on cam blank materials a few years back and Proferal came up late in the conversation. Unfortunately there was no conclusion on this material at the end of the thread.

After searching for the last couple of hours. I cannot find any reference to a Webcam SC-1 blank.
The cam that was in my engine was a billet as described above. There are no casting marks on the camshaft. It was machined end to end.

When I ordered my parts from ACN. I exchanged a number of emails with John. He asked about the engine build and specifically the camshaft I intended to use. He didn't offer any opinion on the Udo lifters after I said I was using the Webcam 86b.
I guess I'll call Webcam and ask tomorrow what their made of (SC-1?) Proferal, unobtainium....

Thanks for the input guy's.
[/quote]

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

If they have ground the markings off, you will just have to ask web what cam blank it was. Should be no secret. i don't think there are more than 3 or four kinds. Probably nobody asks except me and Dan.

I only build a few engines per year but what I do is call Web and just request what I want on the ep-12 blank, and that's been OK.
Trouble is the wait time MAY be...long. If you are in a hurry get a cam from CB. inspect it, send it back because it's somehow goofed, then proceed back to plan A. Just kidding most of them are ok, but CHECK

I use Eaton or CB lightweight lifters on ep-12 cams, good oil, make sure the cam taper is correct.
Virtually no legitimate reported failures with this combo.
More importantly over "appearance" the lifters show the least wear.
Although this may seem like I know what I'm doing, not really, it's just that actually it's been this way for over 30 years.
There have been periods when the cam or lifters were NOT available, but has been only temporary, which is good, no learning new things required.

I tore down an engine recently that was....unfortunately it's mostly destroyed.
Built so long ago it has the original scat H-beams, if you know what those are.
Eaton lifters on a ep-12 cam, looking good.
The lifters are still crowned, only .0005" wear.

Don't fix what ain't broke. It just works.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

10W-30 is a better choice over 30W on break-in. Cold thick oil does not splash off the rods well. I would heat the oil or over-fill the sump to bathe the cam, must keep the parts cool or they will score. Dan
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

Webcam 86B strikes again..

I have seen more than a few lose a lobe.

Not a fan of Webcam.
Soft cams, rampy profiles that need crazy spring pressure for the grind.
(7,000rpm motor needs 175lbs on the seat? ).. Yep, that's Webcam.

Get a better cam blank/grind. No need for expensive lifters.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:

do you have a suggestion?
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Webcam 86B strikes again..

I have seen more than a few lose a lobe.

Not a fan of Webcam.
Soft cams, rampy profiles that need crazy spring pressure for the grind.
(7,000rpm motor needs 175lbs on the seat? ).. Yep, that's Webcam.

Interesting. I'm curious about the rest of your recipe, just because most the time I hear the exact opposite of this about some of the more popular WEB Camshafts around here. Also interested because I just used a 218/119 and drive on it regularly, and am building with a 218 next. Both EP-12 pushing CB lightweights. At least my 218/119 sounds like an expensive new sewing machine from 1000 to 6200 R/min. and I'm only using single HD springs. Shocked Hasn't exploded yet, but now I have.... questions.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

I know.. Right?

I am different than the "popular" crowd.

I only use Steve Long Racing cams and lifters. He has a whole list of different grinds and can customize anything you want. Grinds to order. Spot on the cam card too. (not many cams can say that).
He uses Scat cam blanks and Scat lifters. He re-grinds them so they are matched.
Scat cam blanks are much harder than the EP12/SC-1 blanks.

Without a doubt, the most successful combination I have used in the motors I have built.

Even a Pro-Stock motor running 8,500rpm with some K-800 valve springs shimmed up tight are no match.
3 seasons and the cam/ lifters look and measure like new.

What I have found about the ever popular 86B Webcam, is that it NEEDs lots of spring pressure to keep in control. NOt something you want to run in a hot street motor. Don't plan on changing springs every year.
Also, the 86B wants 9.5/1 compression at least to work right.
Not exactly pump gas friendly.
You "can" run less octane, and you can run less spring, but you are giving up the potential that cam has.

So, as a cam that seems like it would be good for a hot street motor, it acts more like a full race grind.

Lastly, the 86B is hard on lifter bores. Noisy when hot too.

I much prefer a milder ramp cam that doesn't beat the heck out of the case and heads.

I have said my piece.
Take it for what it's worth.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker lifter questions Reply with quote

What you hear about camshafts is half garbage. Just like oil batteries and politics.
If you want to know about ramps on a camshaft, measure the ramps on the camshaft. It's very simple. It would be nice if all things were so simple.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: