Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

More specifically how it is routed through the various holes, fender wells, firewall, etc.

I am ready to install wiring harness in our 1974 KG Coupe. My problem is the old one was removed completely so I have nothing to look at. I know the main harness goes from the engine compartment down into the heater channel and forward to the front trunk but I don’t know the specific route. There are a lot of (cartoon-like) drawings such as on the Wiring Works directions but they lack details.

Another example – it looks like the headlight harnesses leave the headlight bucket and go into the fender well and then into the front trunk. The drawings show two grommets and I see a hole on the driver’s side where the harness could enter the trunk but don’t see the hole on the passenger side…

I’m sure info and photos are buried in threads, and I have done a lot of searching with no luck on the specificity I am hoping for. Even if someone could just point me to a good thread that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Well, it’s definitely a puzzle but not that bad really.
Most of it will become self evident as you get into it.
The weird things are how the tail lights and reverse lights cross over as well as the door switches and dome light.
I have a 70 so most of that is similar.
Unfortunately, my car is now fully assembled so pictures are mostly impossible without pulling out carpet and panels.

Are you going all the way and including the test port wiring?
That’s a big cluster fudge.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
I finished up my '74 last spring. I looked through my pictures and only have some of the engine compartment wiring. The main harness goes through the large hole on the left of the engine compartment above the wheel-well. Once it's inside the cabin, it does not go into the heater channel. It tucks under the little lip above the heater channel. The scuff plate will then go over it and cover the edge of it.
Yes, the headlights come out of the trunk, into the bucket, then the turn signals come out of the bucket down to the signal. It should like someone has either replaced the inner wing or welded the hole up where the wire goes through it.

I hope that helps!

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I’ve been pouring over pictures on the webs and I think I have some key pieces figured out. But then you asked about a test port. What is that? I have not heard that before…
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

It's the little white box just left of top center in the engine compartment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It allowed VW to connect their diagnostic machine to the car. They could crank it, check timing and dwell, even test the turn signals. Totally unnecessary unless you are trying for stock. I don't think repop wiring harnesses come with the wires for it. I used my original harness.

Yup, I reconnected mine... All I need is the diagnostic machine!!
Laughing
d

Last edited by Redlabel6 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Hi Matt, I ran a whole new wiring harness in my 71, which should be fairly close to yours. Since everything is still open, I'll try to snap some shots in the next couple of days and post. Let me know any other specific areas you may need. Or you can stop by if you have time and see first hand.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. They definitely help. We finally got some time to work on the car this past weekend (hence the Samba posts). My wife went through the Wiring Works directions and identified and labeled every wire. She is a saint and I now have a much better idea of how this will come together now, but…

I should note that I will be going through all my old disassembly photos. I was just away from my computer.

David
Got the hole on the left side of the engine up above the wheel well. And the headlight description makes sense. But you say it does not go into the heater channel? And that it tucks under the little lip above the heater channel? And then covered by the scuff plate? So it is actually in the passenger compartment along the heater channel by the driver? If that is the case why the advice to use a cord when pulling the old one out and then using it pull the new harness through? Having it in the passenger compartment should make it much easier to install. Or is the cord a legacy thing from when the harness went up into the roof?

Redlabel6
I had no idea about the diagnostics. I saw a small bracket but had no idea what it was. I’ll check my old photos and the harness instructions. Don’t remember it being mentioned…

Jeff
I’d appreciate any photos but would also like to take you up on the offer to come take a look first hand. There are still a few areas where I am unsure (see above about heater channel) and nothing beats looking at it in person. We are planning to spend a week with the car in early May with time to research and prep between now and then. So any weekend you have time, I can come by. The car is in WV but I am not far away in Alexandria.

Thanks again for the help,
Matt
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
So it is actually in the passenger compartment along the heater channel by the driver?
That's how it is on my '71; in this photo you can see the cable (black) running alongside the doorsill. You can tuck it with the carpet into ridge of the sill plate. When you get to the door hinge area the cable runs up under the dash and into the trunk. It's vertical ascent can be hidden by the the side panel that fits into the channel in the metal strip that holds the windlace in place. As for the cord, I found it handy for pulling the cable up and over the wheel arch and into the engine compartment. HTH

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Hi Matt, not a problem, I'm around this weekend, will PM you the details.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Correct, it does not go into the heater channel. Crocteau's picture shows the cable. It tucks under that lip. He has a good point about a cord into the engine compartment. It's a little tight back in there!
d
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:
Correct, it does not go into the heater channel. Crocteau's picture shows the cable. It tucks under that lip. He has a good point about a cord into the engine compartment. It's a little tight back in there!
d

It's a lot easier if you thread it through from the engine department.

Been there and done that.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Eh? Coriolis effect? Wink
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pictures of wiring harness installed - 1974 KG Coupe Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
:-s Coriolis effect? :wink:

I'm better informed but no wiser, thanks Crocteau.

As one of my erstwhile colleagues said when stumped (trumped?) by a question put by the judge: Don't blind me with science, M' Lord.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: