Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bus #40
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Flipseat.

I had a '63 SO34 that was a turkis/blw bus as well. Good luck with it, I had heard it's pretty rusty.

I have one of those, just scored the correct hatch top trim pieces with the notchs to hold the top open, yaaaaa. Now to only find the original hanging light!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FrenchBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the link to the SK Code:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/158798.jpg
Very Happy
www.original-bus.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Ok lind here's the challenge. Hazetguy and I are placing a friendly wager on when who will have their westy done first. We're shooting for Sept 06, possibly a Jerome trip. How about you?

PM me for the address to send that heater to!!

define "done"

I'm up for the challenge. I know this bus won't get touched in '04 so you guys have a good head start.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Lind- I had previously heard that the SK paint code stood for Sikkens paint. I'm now guessing that might not be true? I had a 1960 Westfalia Hatchtop in Mango/Grey that had that SK code too.

I read SK stands for Fabsonderkombinationen - special paint combination, though it could also be the special resin paint finish normally found on special models and westy campers - S = Sonderausfuhrugen (special body) and K = Kunstharzlack (art finish resin lacquer)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind,

I thought you did not DO rust???

I kicked around the idea of stepping up for that bus just because of the color combination and bullets. I agree it's a low production # bus and fairly rare that it's turkis, especially in the states. However, I already have one super rusty 61 Westy flipseat (the Forest Gump bus) VIN 770010.
I also have VIN 797441 that is the most rust free, accident free westy that I have ever seen, however a father and son team began to "restore", so it came to me in boxes.

Crofty, are you and Hazetguy up for another challenger for the completion challenge?
JPH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara,

Lind's VIN is 13,563 earlier than mine. His flipseat's b-day is April 6, mine's is May 4. Less than a month apart. You probably know that Hazetguy's and my SO-23s are one DAY apart!

JP
Next project???
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23 window collection wrote:

Crofty, are you and Hazetguy up for another challenger for the completion challenge?

I don't see why not. We may have to figure out a "prize" or whatever. I would define done as a running driving bus. No flintstone floors, missing a few things is OK (as these are Westy's and parts don't grow on trees) but for the most part rust free, appealing to the eye and dependable.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a decent Bus for $500. Thanks for posting all the "uniqueness" information, I found it interesting
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
DubStyle wrote:
Holy Crap where do you find all this info? I'd like to look mine up and figure out what it is supposed to be. Wink

there is quite a bit of info on M-codes here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest2.php

Cool thanks Lind I will save that to my favorites for future use. Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn! i had no idea they offered turkis/ blue white in 61, and with a turkis dash to boot. any body have a similar standard or deluxe? email me if you do.
http://www.oslp.org/
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to see what you do with this bus Lind. Most of it is pretty beat, but a flipseat is worth the time. Check out the windshield washer setup... strange eh?
I also have a "Res/Voll" fuel gauge on my 61 flipseat. Mine was born on May 16th of 61.
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus I just bought is an SK bus. I'll try to get pics of the m plate soon. Lind, I don't know if you got my pm a few weeks back about the "joke" but I dropped it as I thought it wasn't gonna fly around here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23 window collection wrote:
Lind,

I thought you did not DO rust???

ouch, yeah I had to really lower my standards on this one. something about the rarity clouded my judgement. I think that the rust is fairly fixable, but I won't know for sure until I see the bus. it is original paint and most of it should stay that way.

seeing all of these chassis numbers and a quick search of the vintagebus registry and I am wondering if I didn't just accidentally buy the earliest known flipseat. does anybody have one that is lower than chassis #760396?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JPH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I think that the rust is fairly fixable, but I won't know for sure until I see the bus. it is original paint and most of it should stay that way.

seeing all of these chassis numbers and a quick search of the vintagebus registry and I am wondering if I didn't just accidentally buy the earliest known flipseat. does anybody have one that is lower than chassis #760396?

I don't know if you have the earliest flipseat, but, even with the rust, it's a WHOLE lot straighter than mine.

JP
Next project???
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPH wrote:
Lind wrote:
I think that the rust is fairly fixable, but I won't know for sure until I see the bus. it is original paint and most of it should stay that way.

I don't know if you have the earliest flipseat, but, even with the rust, it's a WHOLE lot straighter than mine.

JP

at least yours runs. Wink

having the earliest or latest known of something is kind of neat, but sooner or later someone will find one earlier or later. I do have the latest known pressed bumper westy (ch#365296). I really want to see an original pressed bumper SO-23. everything indicates that they were made, just nobody knows of one. if one shows up, it would be the earliest known SO-23 and the latest known pressed bumper bus. that would be cool.
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 29/3/63 Martin Walter Dormobile has SK1023A.

It's turqoise/blue white with a blue white dash.

I don't know what the A is for but SK is almost certainly not "Sikkens".

I think both German "explanations" so far have been incorrect, but they've got it right in that the German translates to "special colour". I've only seen SK numbers on two-tone Kombis, usually campers.
__
fig
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnie wrote:
damn! i had no idea they offered turkis/ blue white in 61, and with a turkis dash to boot. any body have a similar standard or deluxe? email me if you do.

I have been looking for a 61 turkis/BW 15 window deluxe since the early 90s. Ideally with pointy speedo pod. I found my april 61 pointy pod SWR/BG 15 window, but have never seen it in the turkis/BW. I have collected stuff in both colours. I saw one once, a 23, guy had just restored it, and painted it turkis instead pf its original swr. so that doesn't count. I haven't looked for standards, but there seems to be a number of westys.
I should make a "late 61 registry" for buses after they changed the colours at the beginning of March.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPH wrote:
Clara,

Lind's VIN is 13,563 earlier than mine. His flipseat's b-day is April 6, mine's is May 4. Less than a month apart. You probably know that Hazetguy's and my SO-23s are one DAY apart!

JP

ya.. that's right . anyone got any neat vintage pictures of buses going through the westfalia factory? that'd be cool
VintageAutoWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the Flipseat Lind. I had high hopes for that bus but when I got to Texas and it wasn't described correctly over the phone I was pretty disappointed. Drove 1,000 miles to find a bus that was rougher then I was hoping for. I still bought it cause it had the tents and some parts Isaiah needed for his Flipseat so it all worked out. I ended up bringing a 59 Panel back with me and right when I got back I put the Flipseat up for sale thought it would of sold alot faster then it did. At least I can say I owned a Flipseat for a few months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageAutoWerks wrote:
Enjoy the Flipseat Lind. I had high hopes for that bus but when I got to Texas and it wasn't described correctly over the phone I was pretty disappointed. Drove 1,000 miles to find a bus that was rougher then I was hoping for. I still bought it cause it had the tents and some parts Isaiah needed for his Flipseat so it all worked out. I ended up bringing a 59 Panel back with me and right when I got back I put the Flipseat up for sale thought it would of sold alot faster then it did. At least I can say I owned a Flipseat for a few months.

Dan,
thanks again for the bus. I hope to give it a good home. I was really surprised that it didn't sell quicker. the price was just about a giveaway for a splittie westy in original paint. of course I will have plenty into it by the time it gets on the road. I would have rather paid a lot more for a lot nicer bus, but this one will do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: