Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Wow.

1978 Volkswagen Combi Type 2 Campmobile
No reserve

https://www.artcurial.com/en/lot-1978-volkswagen-combi-type-2-campmobile-no-reserve-3980-66

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top

Last edited by notchboy on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482 Reply with quote

Ok I almost peed myself, but I refrained because... wtf is up with the upholstery not matching? Were late Westies just that cheap? And why is the accelerator pedal worn as mine at 80k? Was Skills sitting in the driver seat making Vroom Vroom noises for 49 winters?

But I would have bid my life savings had I seen the auction before it ended...

I hope they enjoy it properly, and tend to its VERY unique needs. I will hire Nick Cage to help me steal it from a museum of it ends up in one. 🙃

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Why does it have a new steering wheel cover that is poorly installed? Seems like the original owners' 900 mile trip took 7 years to do. Also the gas mileage only makes sense if they were siphoning gas out of the tank.

It also seems that none of these super low mileage rigs ever have rust around the batteries, rust that is almost guaranteed in real life.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Interesting observation about the mileage. I checked a few different lines and it seemed they got between 14 and 25 mpg depending on the full-up.... Gas station must of been on some hill. Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Sure hope the yellow bucket was included for that price

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

God, someone just got shorn
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

What's up with the curtain wire on the driver side? I thought it was supposed to be in the curtains, not just holding them back.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Great!
Now ever busted nose, typical rotten battery tray, rocker rust, and missing engine bus is going to be starting at $10k...

Old Man: “Well I saw one not much better than mine goes for BIG MONEY”
Me: “Sir, your bus has been sitting in your field, acting as a commune for mice for 37 years”

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Red wax on front of speedo, optional extra 20k
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

I think you guys are right on the observations. That thing is like your grandma, not quite as honest as she seems. She’s got some secrets.

I think the rear bedding material has been replaced. The curtain retaining spring wire has been replaced (loses its elasticity over time and someone half assed replacing it). The steering wheel wrap? Why wrap a wheel less than a thousand miles?
I know the tires are old but I’m curious if the tire thread shows any wear, and I’m curious what the date is on them.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

There's certainly a few indicators that it's been touched more than they are leading you to believe, but it's still nice to see something this *close* to OG
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
There's certainly a few indicators that it's been touched more than they are leading you to believe

such as .....? curious.

i really wish there would have been some pictures of the underneath / suspension / front axle, etc
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

The cb radio was factory installed?
Why is the steering wheel wrapped?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

When I restored and put the same overriders on my 77, If I recall correct, they have no staggered off set in the cut where they fit the bumper blade. I only put them on the front and closer in than we see on this bus. I did it for two reasons - one to utilise the height of the bumperettes/overrider's height like a police push bar, keeping them centered toward the peak of the bumper radius but secondly to prevent this.

Laughing Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

wow, y'alls get really worked up and butt-hurt about a steering wheel wrap. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
who cares? that was a 'thing to do' back then, and you're assuming it was done recently to cover something up.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

I think its warranted to get worked up over details when the price tag is through the roof and on the level of 'pissing war' money

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

There's certainly a few indicators that it's been touched more than they are leading you to believe, but it's still nice to see something this *close* to OG

I'm also wondering what you see wrong with this pic..

Is the booster blower hose on the right supposed to be cardboard like the left one?

What else you see here?

A mag fan shroud will turn fuzzy like that in storage in a lot of climes.

What’s That Noise?!?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Everything about that photo is perfect. The plastic RS duct hose is correct for factory FI bays. The aftermarket hoses are paper; plastic is NLA. It even has the factory tight #4 plug wire! Laughing
Robbie
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion, my reference to things being touched more than led to believe was in reference to the comments about the replacement cushion fabric in the rear and the CB radio/etc....

the engine pic is what I mean when I say it's nice to see something so close to OG despite those other things.

the only thing I can see anywhere in the engine compartment is that the bracket holding the coil in place looks to have been removed at least once, as it looks like there's rust marks from a different size or placement of the washer holding it in place.

As soon as I saw that engine pic I knew I needed it for the archives. It's great seeing all the OG bits still in the correct locations.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
What's up with the curtain wire on the driver side? I thought it was supposed to be in the curtains, not just holding them back.
My 79 had that exact curtain wire to hold the bottoms in and it was original.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: