Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
monininn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

It does not start anymore (it did when I first got it). The interior is in pieces (previous owner took it all apart). I've never owned one of these vehicles and I am not experienced.

This sounds doomed but I am really soo determined to learn whatever I can and restore this one day!

A friend pointed me to this website.
Does anyone have any pointers on how I could go about starting? Websites? Ideas?

Thanks so much in advance Cool
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon/Westy Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba.
There are a ton of Vanagon owners in your area. Ask for someone here to come over and take a look and help you get started. Beer helps too.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon/Westy Reply with quote

monininn wrote:
Does anyone have any pointers on how I could go about starting? Websites? Ideas?

Your friend is very wise. TheSamba is an excellent resource.

1. Buy or find a Bentley manual: https://vwt25.blog/files/

2. Learn how to use TheSamba's search function: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php

Search for Keywords: Start
Forum: Vanagon
Select [Search Title Only]
Hit [Search]
then read the threads that apply to your issue & assess the alternative explanations, diagnoses and fixes for your issue.

3. Decide if you can fix it without hurting yourself or do you need to spend the $$$ to have a pro take care of it.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon/Westy Reply with quote

Gifted? Sounds like a curse! Shocked Very Happy

Not really! These vans can be somewhat more of an obsession than a pastime. However, there is a lot of support for them in terms of community and vendors with a very complete array of parts, accessories, and upgrades.

When compared with troubles with more modern vehicles, one can even replace the engine or transmission pretty economically. The biggest determiner of restorability will be the body and rust situation. If they're OK then fixing the large array of missing and broken parts is more manageable.

When rebuilding or replacing the engine, you MUST include a FULL REPLACEMENT of ALL FUEL LINES. Even if these were replaced before, it's probably been decade or more and quite likely they are original 40 year old lines. Considering the fires that leaking fuels lines can create, replacing them is priceless insurance. Use only the best quality and clamps meant for this service.

Start reading here at TheSamba Vanagon FAQ collection:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Here's a link to a description of the 1980 new vehicle line-up which will help you understand what you have.
https://www.vanagons.org/1980.html

Best of luck and welcome to the Vanagon community!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon/Westy Reply with quote

I was also "gifted" an '80 Westfalia non-runner. I built up the basket-case engine, rattle canned the van primer grey and black, and then proceeded to drive it for many years. It was a good reliable rig.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon/Westy Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
Get some pictures posted so we can remind ourselves how some of ours were!
We got ours fixed and you can too and this is the place to learn how.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

My van was a gift too, from my parents who wanted it gone. It had been parked for 4 years with a worn out engine. That was 20 years ago and a lot of money spent. However it has been extemely reliable and economical. And I love it.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Someone gifted me a vanagon....Bwah hah ha 😂😂😂... That's like saying someone gave my child a drum set for Christmas. They must not like you very much! Welcome to the insanity...

Hans
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Welcome to the club!

I'm going to add the obligatory "CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!!".

They're amazing fun vehicles, and simple enough to learn on. You'll never get more smiles per mile than when you're driving a vanagon. Very Happy

1988 Microsquirted, Wolfsburg Vanagon (Sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708000&highlight=

Microsquirt Conversion Guide (Work now Discontinued): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laXykNPbRYS8MT...2imqd2pnx7
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

This forum needs a personality test. Not for behavior on the site (I'd never pass) but for Vanagon Ownership Success Factors (VOSF).

- Do you like working on quirky antique cars?
- Are you mechanically adept, willing to learn or happy to pay a shop $125 for every hour they work on your van?
- Do you see car troubles (breakdowns) as a sense of adventure? By the way, car troubles are not common in a well-maintained Vanagon.
- If your variant of Vanagon is a camper, can you imagine life w/out a camping rig?
-etc.

It sounds like you're interested and motivated. Keep in mind that getting a decent van up to a good baseline can take several years.

If the above does rant sound ridiculous, start reading some build threads to see what's in your future.

Enjoy!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

A free vanagon is like a free horse. They are only free for the first day. This website is probably the best resource once you figure out the search engine. I can’t think of one thing that hasn’t come up at least once.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

My DOT says you can't give someone a car/van/truck .. you have to sell it to them. Get a bill of sale, includes VIN, seller, buyer, date, and the price paid of $1. I have an '83.5 exactly as such, the person on the CL said to just get it gone, I wouldn't touch it without a bill of sale.

Never can tell when you might end up with a rig that sat around after 'disappearing' from somewhere. That is trouble you don't need.

-bobby
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

It speaks to the degradation of society that it took four posts to mention fuel lines. When Hitler invented the Vanagon, it would have only taken one.

Off to watch Matlock re-runs
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
A free vanagon is like a free horse. They are only free for the first day. This website is probably the best resource once you figure out the search engine. I can’t think of one thing that hasn’t come up at least once.

i would not own a Vanagon if this forum did not exist. no matter how obscure i think something i'm dealing with is, i can find a thread that addresses my issue.

bobbyblack wrote:
My DOT says you can't give someone a car/van/truck .. you have to sell it to them. Get a bill of sale, includes VIN, seller, buyer, date, and the price paid of $1.

in PA i just titled my 1991 Westy with no bill of sale, just the signed titled. i told them how much i paid and they told me the taxes i owed. new title came 2 weeks later. if you have a signed title... i don't see it being an issue. of course, there is the Canada Factor, eh.

BiWerks Design, LLC

Last edited by dabaron on Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

When you finally get it running and you're out there on the road for your first test drive, be prepared to wave back at other waving Vanagon drivers.

It's a bit confusing at first - "Why are people waving at ME?", but you'll get use to it... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kublerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon/Westy Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Welcome to the samba.
There are a ton of Vanagon owners in your area. Ask for someone here to come over and take a look and help you get started. Beer helps too.

This is the best advice you can really get. Find owners in your area and start to learn from them.

If it was running when you got it then most likely it can be started again. Pay attention to safety items like fuel lines and brakes first then go from there as you discover more to do.

One piece of advice for this forum - it costs absolutely nothing for someone here to tell you to spend money on parts. Resist doing so until you know you need to have to. It is super easy to start dropping cash on a bunch of parts and then find out all you needed to do was fix a vacuum leak or something else free.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Lots of good advice above.

What is your general level of car mechanic ability?

You say "It does not start anymore" but does it make any noise at all when you turn the key over?

any lights light up?

see my sig. before driving it
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Posting a few pictures would be great. People like pictures.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Buy a copy of John Muir's VW Idiot Book, it is a good introduction to aircooled VW's.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: I was gifted a 1980 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Mark Ward , for the win

Quote:
A free vanagon is like a free horse

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: