Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wife's new project-Joy!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chittychittybangbang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I hope that you do not regret using that black undercoater all over the place. I have had bad experiences with water getting underneath and surreptitiously causing rust issues. Then you get to remove it all, which is not fun.

Looks like this is going to be a really fun bus for you guys, though!

Agree. Great job for sure, but I also question the use of sound deadener and undercoat, especially on the front floor. Anyone have long term experience with that? It seems to me that moisture would get in there?

I had that same stuff in my square back and it ruined the floors.

The question of whether the resulting usage is "correct" or "incorrect" depends on one's notion of correctness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Not too worried about the possibility of rust, this is a sunny weekend day driver, pretty much. Just buttoned up some small items before the wife drives to to the local VW shop for some work. I adjusted the valves since the first initial break-in. All were pretty close so that is a good sign to start with.
Going to have them rework the ignition in the column, removing the aftermarket switch located in the dash. Also have the play with the 34/3 pict carb, as I have never had good luck with final adjustments on them.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Had a new 34/3 carb installed. New ignition switch, properly wired in. All lights are now working as they should. Now having an issue with the passenger door mechanism. If you lock the door using the pull, it will not unlock. I have had to remove the inner door panel to get to the mechanism where there is a clip that holds the rod to the mechanism. Seems as though it is not getting full "throw" in each direct, not allowing it to unlock. Is the mechanism bad? I have tried lubing it well with no changes.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Had the local shop install the new door mechanism, now working as it should. Was a 1 year part, so not easy to find. New speedo cable, front brakes with new wheel cylinders. Needed new wheel bearings. Getting better, little by little...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: