Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Switched power in the engine bay?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroza1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

I am installing a 2054cc in a few week and as Big Red is my daily, I want to do as much prep leading to the swap so things so smooth'ish.

I was reading the install on my Holley and it says that I need to supply a 12.6v switched power to the choke, and my fuel pump also needs 12v switched. In the past I have run both off of the coil, but the installation says to specifically NOT run the choke off of the coil. So are there any other switched lines in the bay or is there a relay I can use that would use the coil wire to take the trigger, but run off of the battery or direct from the Alternator? The voltage regulator is still in there too should I splice and solder?

Thoughts?

Josh
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

If you're looking to instal a safety relay for an electronic pump on a carbureted rig:

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=11380

Any 4-pin relay will work; they're usually $10 or less at FLAPS.

Pinout:
30 - battery positive (please fuse)
87 - pump positive
86 - alternator blue (df) wire
85 - ground

This way the pump will shut off when the engine stalls for any reason. If you let the car sit for months and the carb bowls drain, jump pin 30 to 87 for a few seconds to fill the bowls.

--

VW used the coil + for the choke on millions of carbureted cars. If you don't want to, just tie it into the fuel pump positive circuit.

If Big Red is a 68-71 that still has the original 38-amp voltage regulator, and you're converting to an alternator, feel free to send that "useless old voltage regulator" my way. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jroza1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

Thanks! That is exactly what I m looking to do. I will probably cannibalize the alternator in my baja or see if I can cop a working one elsewhere. I have another voltage regulator in a box of parts from my baja if you want that one too...

Im not against swapping parts Smile
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

Your not powering the choke off the coil, your powering the choke off of the same circuit. You could put a relay in to power the choke from the coil but unless the choke has a huge draw it is not needed.
jroza1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Your not powering the choke off the coil, your powering the choke off of the same circuit. You could put a relay in to power the choke from the coil but unless the choke has a huge draw it is not needed.

The Holley manual says not to run off the battery side of the Coil. The choke requires 12.6 or higher to be properly powered per their guide. I just don't want to kill my carb. I like the idea of a relay to move the load from the line to the relay on 52 year old wiring.
I have a hot start relay going in this weekend because the start gets a little flakey after things warm up or I put miles on big red. Usually a tap or two gets things flowing. It's a new starter, so I am hoping it didn't take a dump.

Josh
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

You should have 12.6v or better "with engine running" anywhere you check. If it has a high amperage draw that's different. That circuit should be protected by an 8 amp. fuse. No idea what a choke element draws nor the coil or backup lights which should all be on that circuit. I would try it from the coil, if the fuse blows i would add the relay.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

A) the coil + wire powered two chokes from 1972 onwards. The instructions are likely written for cars with ballast resistors, which drop coil input voltage. Air-cooled Volkswagens do not have ballast resistors, and get full system voltage at coil #15 (positive.)

B) the ignition circuitry on an air-cooled Volkswagen is not fused. Measure the resistance on your electronic choke and we can tell you if the stock wiring is up for the task.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

The ignition " circuit " is not fused but the coil power is.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:

Not from the factory, no fuses at all.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jroza1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Switched power in the engine bay? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
bsairhead wrote:

Not from the factory, no fuses at all.
Absolutely correct, I looked at the wiring diagram wrong Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: