Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS bushing replacement and 2" drop.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: IRS bushing replacement and 2" drop. Reply with quote

Figured it was time to finally tackle the rear suspension of my 68 Sedan. I've already replaced 90% of the front end (ball joints, tie rods, etc...) including KYB shocks on all four corners.

Didn't realize what a PAIN taking apart an IRS suspension was. Keeping in mind this was in my garage. Mental note: Don't bother trying the keep the diagonal arm attached to car. The job is 100X easier if you remove it completely from the car.

Old vs New bushings. Yes, these are Polyurethane, because Race Car!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I purchased these from Amazon. The Torsion bushings are from Energy Suspension. The diagonal arm bushings are made by Empi (also Poly). Everything fit perfectly (bushings were rather tight but lube and elbow grease got them in).

While I was at it, I figured I would lower the rear a bit. Front end is sitting on 2.5" drop spindles with stock beam. I decided to lower the rear 2". Using a chart I found on this website I clocked the torsions +7 on the inner splines and -7 on outer splines. Worked perfectly!

Only thing left to do was test drive it!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Car still needs an alignment, but other than that... WOW what a huge improvement!!! Rear feels stiffer, more responsive, all around better handling. I strongly recommend doing the same!

-Nick-
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS bushing replacement and 2" drop. Reply with quote

Car looks nice , I would search beetle alignment on the samba . I wouldn't trust anybody else. If you did this work you will be able to do the alignment with a little help.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS bushing replacement and 2" drop. Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Car looks nice , I would search beetle alignment on the samba . I wouldn't trust anybody else. If you did this work you will be able to do the alignment with a little help.

I mean, yah, doing an alignment yourself (string method) is 100% doable, but ill be damned if im not going to just pay some $150 instead of going through all that damn pain myself after doing it once....
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS bushing replacement and 2" drop. Reply with quote

If you have a shop that has a clue, then get it done. I do a quick and dirty at the shop and its usually pretty close. I set the camber straight up and down and the front toe in 1/8". Not hard to do with an angle finder and a couple rulers and some odds and ends.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS bushing replacement and 2" drop. Reply with quote

The trade school I teach at here in Dallas area has Hunter alignment rack. I plan to do it myself as qualified ACVW mechanics are in short supply.

After looking at the car, I feel I should come up on the rear. Looks a little too low. I did +7 on the inner splines and -7 on the outers. Perhaps I will reverse it two splines on both ends. I just don't feel like taking the rear end apart again.

-Nick-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: