Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring repair for Sliding Door switch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Wiring repair for Sliding Door switch Reply with quote

I'm guessing the grounding wire is the last Mouse chewed wire I need to replace in my Passenger Vanagon.
Tested the switch, and grounded the wire at the switch, and checked with a meter while I had the switch out as well. Mouse 1, Human 0... Rolling Eyes

But, how did VW tie the sliding door switch to the circuit originally?[ don't have my Bentley in front of me] Splice into the Drivers Dome light and run the wiring across the Headliner/Roof.?
Or did they tie into the Passenger Door wire and run it up the A Pillar, along the roof and down the B Pillar to the switch?

along those lines, can I easily use like a Electricians Fish Tool to get above the headliner and pull a wire across , or are there metal ribs /bracing I'll run into on the roof that I can't see.?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring repair for Sliding Door switch Reply with quote

edit: Sorry for any confusion. I deleted my images and text as they aren't really relevant.

Looking at pics of my slider door switch install on an '81 that did not have a slider door switch, I'd guess that the stock wiring for the slider door switch takes the switched ground from passenger door switch up, rearward, down pillar to slider door switch. IF it runs above the headliner, there will most likely be insulation up there, as my bus had, so that would make fishing a new wire difficult; you'd need to at least partially lower the head liner.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring repair for Sliding Door switch Reply with quote

Thanks Neil, I had forgotten about possible insulation issues. I had read about people discussing new wiring runs, and in particular that up, backward , and then down into B pillar effort. With removing the intake grill out of the bottom of the leading face of the B Pillar to see and access your new wire when pulling it down near the switch on the opposite side.

So, I think that’s the plan for me. Splice into the wire as it sits behind the glovebox and go at it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring repair for Sliding Door switch Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Thanks Neil, I had forgotten about possible insulation issues. I had read about people discussing new wiring runs, and in particular that up, backward , and then down into B pillar effort. With removing the intake grill out of the bottom of the leading face of the B Pillar to see and access your new wire when pulling it down near the switch on the opposite side.

So, I think that’s the plan for me. Splice into the wire as it sits behind the glovebox and go at it.

You're welcome. Sounds like a plan. It sounds like the ground wire you'll run new wire from, is functioning.

I had a similar issue with those flippin' mice chewing wires [edit: and more]. Sounds like you're lucky; you don't have to pull the dash. LOL.

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring repair for Sliding Door switch Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

You're welcome. Sounds like a plan. It sounds like the ground wire you'll run new wire from, is functioning.

I had a similar issue with those flippin' mice chewing wires [edit: and more]. Sounds like you're lucky; you don't have to pull the dash. LOL.

Neil.

My red wire, like yours, was chewed. Once I repaired it, I had both drivers side bulbs off the drivers switch, and both again on the R/F door switch once I cleaned the contacts up on that one.
I am pulling the dash for various reasons this weekend if all goes well, so that would be the ideal time to add it to my rewiring list of redos and add-ons.

It remains to be seen what lurks in my heaterbox area, my nose says , hmm, something not so good.... Wink
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring repair for Sliding Door switch Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

It remains to be seen what lurks in my heaterbox area, my nose says , hmm, something not so good.... Wink

Hopefully not what happened to me! Wink Glad I had spare parts....

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: