Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Westfalia... Westfalia... Westfalia!

They are the "King" of the Camper crowd. Everything else is also cool but a wanna-be. If you want to own and enjoy a nice Vintage camper with current/future value and quality, go Westfalia. I have a '67 and a'87 Westfalia, love'em both!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

I keep hearing that Bill but I still don't get it especially when they used formica on the cabinets of the SO42. I'd trade my Westy without shedding a tear for the Rivera, with big picture window and real wood interior.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BulliBill wrote:

They are the "King" of the Camper crowd. Everything else is also cool but a wanna-be. If you want to own and enjoy a nice Vintage camper with current/future value and quality, go Westfalia. I have a '67 and a'87 Westfalia, love'em both!

Bill

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I keep hearing that Bill but I still don't get it especially when they used formica on the cabinets of the SO42. I'd trade my Westy without shedding a tear for the Rivera, with big picture window and real wood interior.

BulliBill wrote:

Bill

I'd take a Getalit interior over a Bobs Lumber, faux wood paneling interior, stuffed in a panel any day!

I suggest finishing your bus first , it might make you a convert!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restauration? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
The classifieds here is the best place to look to get an idea of internet pricing, real deals requires looking in local publications, backyards and putting the word out.

… better late, than never - these things usta' be cheap - I remember, when no one wanted them. In 2007 we bought 1962 SO33 at a salvage for $50 - it was justa' shell, but we have put an SO 42 interior in it - happy times are ahead - z

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

BulliBill wrote:

Bill

SO42 sink-top Formica

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

crofty understood, hopefully I'll agree. Is Getalit interior the German formica and is Getalit superior to other formica? I wonder if Frederic found his bus yet.

ZENVWDRIVER, love the cut down SO42 cabinet for more window, what does it look like on the long side?

crofty wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

BulliBill wrote:

Bill

I'd take a Getalit interior over a Bobs Lumber, faux wood paneling interior, stuffed in a panel any day!

I suggest finishing your bus first , it might make you a convert!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

What is the background story on this raffled bus? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2395240

The vin is weird and the engine lid/apron is '66-'67 style. No pic of rear hatch button.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What is the background story on this raffled bus? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2395240

The vin is weird and the engine lid/apron is '66-'67 style. No pic of rear hatch button.

VIN: 2360004541

Apparently it's a '66.
Super early '66 too, # 4,541 off the 1966 production line
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Ok....

My advice to you is to find a regular 11 window bus and find yourself some used Westfalia insides and do it that way. Finding a Westfalia in the barn find condition that you are describing is going to be very expensive $11-$16,000 for a beat up one at that! .you won’t be happy with it and it won’t be cost-effective. You can get an 11 window that is not too bad of shape running and might be missing some sets . Then you can get it stoping, running , in your name etc... doing you’re way is gonna be big $$$$$$ but if you have money to burn go 4 it!!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

The op has not been on the Samba in a month........ Rolling Eyes
Looks like a typical newbie/wannabe, "I want to (have someone) find an old Westy in a Barn for cheap & have it fixed up, for very little $$$" Laughing
Get real, a good restored Westy will NOT be $15000. As others have stated, step up w/ much more $$$$ for a Westy, or buy a Panel or Standard Bus, build a simple Camper kit & drive it.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
BarryL wrote:

Apparently it's a '66.

Yes, sir, I get that but the ad says 1965 and the vin is 10 numbers:
VIN: 236 0004 541 The technical pull down says 1966 9 numbers:
Aug 236 020 494

Here's guessing that they added an accidental zero.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
EverettB wrote:
BarryL wrote:

Apparently it's a '66.

Yes, sir, I get that but the ad says 1965 and the vin is 10 numbers:
VIN: 236 0004 541 The technical pull down says 1966 9 numbers:
Aug 236 020 494

Here's guessing that they added an accidental zero.

Got it - I missed the extra digit and that is weird.

I think the '65 thing can be explained by it being a super old '66.
Probably sold and registered as a '65 for a long time
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

He calls it a ‘66 in the photo gallery
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=54harper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: