Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

COVID-19
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
there are adequate monies and resources to fully support finding a cure and testing simultaneously.

We are underfunding research in science inAmerica by about 10x , and are losing good people to EU and China as a result.

Outsource of our high tech manufacturing over seas has harmed our science and math minded mind set. A lot of innovation and ideas occur where high tech manufacturing industry is centered.

and our world class universities turn out huge numbers of foreign scientists and engineers, fewer Americans, It is not so much we are losing good people as it is we are training their people rather than ours
our high schools have fallen behind in training the researcher mind set too,

Our semiconductor manufacturing base gave us a huge number of engineers, and advances jn learning of basic science, The money came in, universities trained our people the latest science learned from our industries.
The micro technology and computers have brought benefits in medicine, bio research, etc... mirco sensors, mri machjnes, computerized 3 d xrays, tiny pacemakers, artificial joints, limbs, robotic surgery, virus study etc....

But with that manufacturing base now gone, we risk losing that synergistic manufacturing, research partnership. Crying or Very sad

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
nsracing wrote:
And what if people don't want to be tested, you gonna send the SWAT on them? YOu cannot just randomly test people. Which do you want to start testing? People w/ curly hair? blue or brown eyes? Laughing Next thing you know, you will be arresting people coz they 'look infected'. That is not the way it works. People still have rights. A?nd it is exactly in a disaster that the govt will overplay its authority. Be careful what you ask for.

I reckon the few that refuse to be tested, if such order was given, could be ordered quarantined under threat of imprisonment. Such forced quarantine has legal precedent, you can be held until they declare you safe to release.

The test can be as simple as a saliva sample, spit, not invasive medically speaking.

So if you are known to have been exposed, you can and maybe should be quarantined under force if need be, how ever a passing test may allow someone to avoid a full two week isolation, your choice test or 2 weeks isolation?

Prisoners should be forced to be tested when enough test are available, We tax payers are responsible for their medical care while in custody an outbreak in prison would be an expense we can avoid by isolating prisoners that test positive Thus the prisoners should have no choice.

Crital employees should have no choice, else be removed. Doctors, firefighters, nurses, care givers, police, utilityworkers must be tested to help prevent spread among coworkers, and the people they must deal with, or care for.

So you mean Gestapo-style testing by random? Good luck w/ that. YOu will probably get your head blown off if you come up to someone's home and force the inhabitants to submit to testing by force.

So, how are you gonna know 'who have been exposed' exactly? Just by your gut-feeling?

The govt cannot randomly force people to submit to testing. YOu can 'volunteer' to get tested ..is about it.

Only if you are sick is the only time you will be tested. And besides, you have given ample permission to the healthcare facility to test your ass by walking inside when you are sick.

So would you give your doctor permission to just do a exploratory laparotomy on you coz he thinks you might be a risk to everyone? I think you are mistaking us for a different country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Dr Forrest Bird, namesake of my wife's school here in little ol' Sandpoint Idaho, invented the ventilator. He was a great man, and did great things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Bird
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

It will be very interesting to read this thread 2 weeks from now. Let it sink in.
All of the abstract bullshit you are talking does not mean a thing. This will affect you and your life on a personal front.
I hope you don't get sick or a member of your family dies but it might happen.
Reread your words next month, see if it matters what you say today.
Fact is this Joke that you argue and pontificate is reality. Your life will be changed. It already has. The whole fkn world has changed.
Will you have a job tomorrow? How is your 401 k doing. Can you pay your bills for the next 3 months? Are your kids ok? Will your parents survive?
While I watch you argue total bullshit, have you thought of the reality of this situation? It is all about me and you, not them and they. I give a fuck about politics or blame, that wont save your life.
You had better take care of yourself and your family. Be prepared, it is going to be a tough ride, seems a lot of you don't have a clue. You would rather talk about crap.
Do you have a month supply of life source? Do You have cash on hand? Can you survive 6 months with no income? That's the reality. Do you trust your Government to provide for you? \
If the shit hits the fan can you protect yourself from the bad people? Wake up all you woke people. Life is gonna get real, are you ready?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

randayn wrote:
Life is gonna get real, are you ready?

As ready as I could ever hope to be.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
nsracing wrote:
And what if people don't want to be tested, you gonna send the SWAT on them? YOu cannot just randomly test people. Which do you want to start testing? People w/ curly hair? blue or brown eyes? Laughing Next thing you know, you will be arresting people coz they 'look infected'. That is not the way it works. People still have rights. A?nd it is exactly in a disaster that the govt will overplay its authority. Be careful what you ask for.

I reckon the few that refuse to be tested, if such order was given, could be ordered quarantined under threat of imprisonment. Such forced quarantine has legal precedent, you can be held until they declare you safe to release.

The test can be as simple as a saliva sample, spit, not invasive medically speaking.

So if you are known to have been exposed, you can and maybe should be quarantined under force if need be, how ever a passing test may allow someone to avoid a full two week isolation, your choice test or 2 weeks isolation?

Prisoners should be forced to be tested when enough test are available, We tax payers are responsible for their medical care while in custody an outbreak in prison would be an expense we can avoid by isolating prisoners that test positive Thus the prisoners should have no choice.

Crital employees should have no choice, else be removed. Doctors, firefighters, nurses, care givers, police, utilityworkers must be tested to help prevent spread among coworkers, and the people they must deal with, or care for.

So you mean Gestapo-style testing by random? Good luck w/ that. YOu will probably get your head blown off if you come up to someone's home and force the inhabitants to submit to testing by force.

So, how are you gonna know 'who have been exposed' exactly? Just by your gut-feeling?

The govt cannot randomly force people to submit to testing. YOu can 'volunteer' to get tested ..is about it.

Only if you are sick is the only time you will be tested. And besides, you have given ample permission to the healthcare facility to test your ass by walking inside when you are sick.

So would you give your doctor permission to just do a exploratory laparotomy on you coz he thinks you might be a risk to everyone? I think you are mistaking us for a different country.

No, not gestapo like tactics.

But there is legal precedence for forced quarantine, and a test with a negative result may allow one to avoid a lengthy isolation. That is my point, Im not judging the law, just saying what the law is to my understanding, and I aint no lawyer, but I do watch Perry Mason.

I reckon that...
If I was known to have been in close contact with some one found ill, then Id would expect to be asked to be quarantined to home for two weeks, perhaps less time if I pass a test. I would expect them to arrest me if I violated quarantine, say perhaps if I decuded to go out and stand in line in the grocery store, go to work, or board a bus or jetliner.

I also made the point that some critical workers should be tested, and if some refuse, send them home. Care givers, hospital workers for obvious reasons, firefighters, cops, utilityworkers, folks you can not do,without, can't replace easy if sick. You cannot afford to have it spread thru the ranks.

No one is sending Dr. Mengele, aka Dr Death to seize your precious bodily fluids.

They wont be forcing everybody to be tested. But testing , specially, the latest high sensitivity, quick turn around tests, they can reduce cautionary quarantine time periods. That is what IS going to help a lot.

Remember the two week quarantine is the time for untested patients. it is two week before symptoms, like fever.

Newer tests, super sensitive tests can detect the virus at lower levels than that which cause outward presenting symptoms. Maybe a five day quarantine verses a weeks with testing?

take care!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022

Last edited by bluebus86 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

we can help folks economically...

. If you still are getting paid, but your barber is shut down, you are not going in for a trim, if you can afford it, send him or her some cash, price of the trim to help them make up, keep the rent paid, food on the table, etc... we need to see through it that folks can be tided over for the coming weeks or months so that once the virus is beat, we can resume life again easily, without the added strife of economic ruin.
That is worth the price of a haircut, to help someone avoid ruin, That's what I figure.

Kill the virus Evil or Very Mad

nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

I reckon that...
If I was known to have been in close contact with some one found ill, then Id would expect to be asked to be quarantined to home for two weeks, perhaps less time if I pass a test. I would expect them to arrest me if I violated quarantine, say perhaps if I decuded to go out and stand in line in the grocery store, go to work, or board a bus or jetliner.

I also made the point that some critical workers should be tested, and if some refuse, send them home. Care givers, hospital workers for obvious reasons, firefighters, cops, utilityworkers, folks you can not do,without, can't replace easy if sick. You cannot afford to have it spread thru the ranks.

No one is sending Dr. Mengele, aka Dr Death to seize your precious bodily fluids.

They wont be forcing everybody to be tested. But testing , specially, the latest high sensitivity, quick turn around tests, they can reduce cautionary quarantine time periods. That is what IS going to help a lot.
take care!

I think you are not understanding the process - there will be people in contact w/ the virus who are asymtomatic. YOu gonna quaratine them? Healthcare providers will be in direct contact w/ the patients, you gonna test all of them and if positive will quarantine them?

You only treat them if they are symptomatic. If they are not sick, why treat them? You probably got MRSA on your body and not sick -should we put you in contact isolation? People will be in contact w/ all sorts of stuff in the hospital or outside and are perfectly asymptomatic. You give them prophylaxis treatments but not always. Sometimes never or only w/ virulent diseases. They just track your ass if you get worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
we can help folks economically...

. If you still are getting paid, but your barber is shut down, you are not going in for a trim, if you can afford it, send him or her some cash, price of the trim to help them make up, keep the rent paid, food on the table, etc... we need to see through it that folks can be tided over for the coming weeks or months so that once the virus is beat, we can resume life again easily, without the added strife of economic ruin.
That is worth the price of a haircut, to help someone avoid ruin, That's what I figure. Kill the virus Evil or Very Mad

Thanks for the sentiment. I went through the same thing after Hurricane Charley destroyed my shop. I offered free haircuts for all of my clients for 3 months at a local salon, until I rebuilt my shop. Of course they did not allow the free thing.
People are great. I look forward to a lot of hair on my floor next month. My clients have been so supportive. I have been blessed with so many loyal friends, not customers, friends. I cant wait to get back to work.

Last edited by randayn on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

The only way that mass testing could stop this virus would be to stop the world and test everyone simultaneously. Stop time if you will and don't start it up again until the results are in and all the positive people are isolated. This is physically impossible to do.

So - we do the next best thing, take care of people where we can, test where it seems useful, isolate where we know there is exposure and hope for the best. Mass hysteria, calling for forced mass testing, like buying toilet paper will get us nowhere!

My feeling is that over the next 1.5 to 2 years we will nearly all get a personal taste of this virus regardless of isolation and testing - unless an effective vaccine is developed.

Or it could simply run it's course and die out on it's own.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

I think it's typically American that we can't figure out how to successfully do something other countries can do with no problems. Confused
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

We rode bikes today, hit our favorite brewery, they are doing curb side sales, got 3 growlers, went 20 yards to a bench, filled up our travel cups....started drinking. Rode bikes to good restaurant, got take out. Ate, drank more. Fuk it, so kill me. I lived more of a life than most.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

One thing I really hope people learn from all this is that we must stop living pay check to pay check. I hope people learn that they must have a personal safety net of at least 2 full months pay in the bank to live on without any income. I realize there are many people on poverty that will never reach this level of security, but there are millions of middle class families that can obtain 2-3 months savings, but foolishly never will.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I think it's typically American that we can't figure out how to successfully do something other countries can do with no problems. Confused

Americans over all are a very smart people, We can figure out stuff just fine in our great nation

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I think it's typically American that we can't figure out how to successfully do something other countries can do with no problems.

The other countries are lying out their ass about it and the distorted media isn't telling you the truth.

As a side note my community (pop 60,000) is allowing inside dinning but must cut their capacity in 1/2. Every other table must remain empty and no more than 6 at a table.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

I reckon that...

take care!

I think you are not understanding the process - there will be people in contact w/ the virus who are asymtomatic. YOu gonna quaratine them? Healthcare providers will be in direct contact w/ the patients, you gonna test all of them and if positive will quarantine them?

You only treat them if they are symptomatic. If they are not sick, why treat them? You probably got MRSA on your body and not sick -should we put you in contact isolation? People will be in contact w/ all sorts of stuff in the hospital or outside and are perfectly asymptomatic. You give them prophylaxis treatments but not always. Sometimes never or only w/ virulent diseases. They just track your ass if you get worse.

i dont know nothing about no process. But testing does allow us to make smart choices, gives us understanding of vectors, infection rates. care workers of the elderly for instance should tested frequently as them passing it on to the elderly can be fatal. Doctors for same reasoning, so as to not pass it on to patients, which may be at great risk. fire fighters live at the fire house, ride trucks together, again, frequent testing can find the carrier before the carrier infects the whole firehouse.

Stay safe

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
We rode bikes today, hit our favorite brewery, they are doing curb side sales, got 3 growlers, went 20 yards to a bench, filled up our travel cups....started drinking. Rode bikes to good restaurant, got take out. Ate, drank more. Fuk it, so kill me. I lived more of a life than most.

Atta Boy! 80% level of alcohol is the requirement to kill this bug we are told so drink your face off, get your blood level up there and you will beat it!! Rolling Eyes
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
One thing I really hope people learn from all this is that we must stop living pay check to pay check. I hope people learn that they must have a personal safety net of at least 2 full months pay in the bank to live on without any income. I realize there are many people on poverty that will never reach this level of security, but there are millions of middle class families that can obtain 2-3 months savings, but foolishly never will.

100%!!

The vast majority are too shallow to think 2 months ahead. Too busy keeping up with the Joneses at whatever the cost! Our whole economy is based on that singe human weakness. Crass consumerism. If people do actually learn from this our future as a country will look totally different than it did even a month ago.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
I think it's typically American that we can't figure out how to successfully do something other countries can do with no problems.

The other countries are lying out their ass about it and the distorted media isn't telling you the truth.

As a side note my community (pop 60,000) is allowing inside dinning but must cut their capacity in 1/2. Every other table must remain empty and no more than 6 at a table.

We did that a few days ago and then the number of positives doubled.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

We did that a few days ago and then the number of positives doubled.

Come on Glenn, even you know that the quantity of testing is increasing hence the number of known cases are increasing.
This increase in positive statistics is to be expected.

This Doesn't mean the situation is getting worse (though it might be), just more cases are being identified.

Sadly, We have no yard stick, no accurate base to work from.
Hence panic over increased positives.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 58 of 60

Jump to: