Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thicker Transmission oil?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

I have an stock 002 transmission in a 1970 crew cab. Over time it has developed a noticeable whine in 3rd and 4th gears, on and off power, and louder in certain RPM ranges. I suspect it also is happening in 1st and 2nd but in those gears the engine is louder than the transmission. The transmission shifts fine otherwise - I can shift with 1 finger, and no popping out of gears.

I just researched replacing the box. To do it right, I figure $2,500 with shipping and installation. I can’t afford that this year and I don’t want to go with a cheaper solution. After speaking to several knowledgeable folks I am thinking that the noise is the pinion bearing, maybe other bearings. I just read a thread on bearing noise that suggests it can be improved by using thicker oil.

Until now I have used Sta-Lube API-GL-4 85W90 gear oil. I see that Sta-Lube also makes a API/GL-4 SAE 140 gear oil. Any thoughts on either using the 140 weight directly or mixing it ½ and ½?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

The thicker oil will only lessen the noise. The longer it is driven in its current condition, regardless of what weight oil, the more damage is being done. You may already have past the point of no return where you would have had something to rebuild, or use as a core exchange. I would start saving, and significantly reduce your driving until you can get it fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

if it is really loud as you let off, then it is very likely the ring/pinon about to fail.
They will start getting loud as you let off the throttle and coast.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

I just bought a rebuilt transmission from a reputable company out in California. It had a noise just as you were describing with the noise happening on deceleration. I sent it back to them for a warranty repair. If it is the ring and pinion, hopefully they will have a replacement as I’m not sure there are any places that sell new 3.88s

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I just bought a rebuilt transmission from a reputable company out in California. It had a noise just as you were describing with the noise happening on deceleration. I sent it back to them for a warranty repair. If it is the ring and pinion, hopefully they will have a replacement as I’m not sure there are any places that sell new 3.88s

002 does not have a 3.88 r/p

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
if it is really loud as you let off, then it is very likely the ring/pinon about to fail.
They will start getting loud as you let off the throttle and coast.

Since noise is subjective and best heard rather than being described, I should probably add that I have had a couple knowledgeable folks who listened to it and said they would just run with it if it was theirs. This included the guy who originally refreshed the transmission (and could have made more money by recommending a rebuild) and a seasoned VW mechanic. ASSUMING that this really isn't that bad and I am not in imminent risk of destroying an otherwise good core, would I be accelerating its demise by running a thicker blend?

Also - I don't recall the noise getting louder when I coast, although I will go back and check it. What I have noticed is the volume increases or decreases with constant RPM and is loudest between 2800-3200 RPM.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

The most important things of a core are the ring & pinion, and the case. In instances of Bus transaxles, this includes anything specifically unique to them, such as an .82 4th gear.

Whining, or howling in multiple gears are usually mainshaft, or pinion bearings being worn. If it’s the mainshaft, that’s closest to 4th, it’s abnormally wearing 4th gear anytime it is being driven. If it’s the pinion bearing, the r&p are no longer meshing as they should, and are being abnormally worn anytime it’s being driven. If the pinion bearing is worn badly, allowing the pinion shaft to slam back-n-forth within the bearing, it’s working the pinion bearing’s securing nut loose to allow the race to move within the case. This, for the most part, ruins the case.

If your rebuilder that doesn’t seem too concerned is going to give you another .82 4th gear, ring & pinion, and case for free if yours are trashed, keep running it. Keep in mind if something does fail, it usually takes out the rest of neighborhood. If you could still get Bus transaxles out of the junkyard for $50, I’d say run it till it dies. The off-roaders local to me get $400+ out of used take outs that look like they dug them out of the back yard.

Adding thicker oil to quiet a transaxle isn’t much different than adding thicker oil to a severely worn engine to keep the oil light from always coming on. It’s a band aid at best.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

Forgive me. I neglected to mention this is a type 1 IRS transaxle

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

Forgive me. I neglected to mention this is a type 1 IRS transaxle

I was refering to the op's question, as that is what this thread is about. No worries.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

Scott, will the Redline heavy Shockproof work in the 002 as good as it does in the older type 1 swingaxle?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

Hello.
While additives can´t repair a worn gearbox, it can prolong the life of a gearbox some. In the US you have Liqui Moly products. They have something called Ceratec, which is a manual gear treatment. This additive helps smoothing out worn surfaces in bearings and on gears which reduces wear, noise and ultimately friction. Lindemann also has a very good additive, but I am not sure that they are represented in the US. Nulon may be.
Drain the gear oil when warm, just after a drive, and let it drain for some hours so that you are sure that most possible old oil is out. Use a good 80w90 oil that is relatively "fat" along with the Ceratec and follow the instructions. Then you will notice that the transmission noise will reduce over the next 150-300 miles.
I am not sure whether "the same" gear oil is actually the same all over the World. But I can recommend Pennzoil 80w90 for the purpose. Also Castrol Classic EP90 can work well.

Bear in mind, this is for older transmissions with some miles on them. A new or newer transmission is a totally different ballgame.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

Using thicker oil in the transaxle will make it harder to shift when cold outside.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

The thicker oil is not offering more protection, all it is doing is muffling the noise a bit......for a while. Once the bearings start to come apart, they keep coming apart, whether it's the races flaking off or the balls pitting, no thickness of oil is going to prevent further damage.

If it were mine and I was the one footing the bill, I would park the truck and save my sheckles for a rebuilt and hope the core is still good. Just remember it's not just that the bearings are shedding material, all that crap if going into the rest of the transaxle and getting ground into other parts too.

brad
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

I remember guys putting saw dust and banana peels inside loud differentials.

Makes it quiet... until it fails.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

The Heavy Shockproof is not really thick like 75-140 is. It flows like 75-90 but has the film thickness of 75-250.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Scott, will the Redline heavy Shockproof work in the 002 as good as it does in the older type 1 swingaxle?

Yes, I use it in my sand car, works well.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I remember guys putting saw dust and banana peels inside loud differentials.

Makes it quiet... until it fails.

The worst I ever saw was a dodge differential that someone had fed cork valve cover gaskets and grease. It was quiet, well, what was left of it was quiet, I coulda shaved with the ring gear. The guy who had just purchased the truck....not so much, he was quite noisy. I learned some new cussin words that day. He sued, he won, we dropped in a new diff. Took 3 days to get the stink outta my hands from that mess, gawd it was horrible, damn near puked on my boots. Don't miss shit like that at all. Much happier pounding 5000 amps through nice clean rebuilt breakers.

brad
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Took 3 days to get the stink outta my hands from that mess, gawd it was horrible, damn near puked on my boots.

brad

Ever smell limited slip additive?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

Especially Ford’s skunk oil, run that in my Nova’s 9” rearend. The smell comes thru the damn sealed bottle.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thicker Transmission oil? Reply with quote

My dad had a transmission shop , some idiot customer put caned 'Pet' milk in an automatic 'too soften the seals?" dad said take that thing out back and throw it away way Shocked I grabbed another core and built that,lol , had a gal with a 'Pinto ' pull on the hoist and the car 'locked -up' I pulled the cover off the rear end and 'Metal DUST' Shavings !,, not one drop of oil Rolling Eyes I asked her if she 'Heard' anything like growling Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: