Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Age old request... the lift.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
181 Gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Age old request... the lift. Reply with quote

Hello all. The Spring project is beginning and I have many updates in store for my '73 Thing. This was my first vehicle 13 years ago. I completely dig it. I won't bombard you with plans as results are what counts.

Question for all the Thingurus out there:
How can I raise the overall height of my Thing without having to cut or alter any original bodywork/mechanics? I've seen the 3" Up Yer Bug conversions that require a new steering unit (and the required access hole for the new column angle) -- I would like to avoid that.

So, are there any stable adjustments I could make to the suspension that would increase lift (not just fender height if possible)? I'm running 15" aluminum Centerlines with the largest Bridgestones I can safely/efficiently fit -- or so I'm told.

My goal: to continue to build a fairly agressive looking vehicle based on the stock look. In my eyes, subtle tweaks are the key to make this mild custom work. Any advice, photos or input is more than appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

body lift is a pain in the ass with precious little benefit. You have to pull the body from the pan, discover all of the old FUBAR'ed repairs from POs, the rust that is worse than you thought, install the lift kit, fiddle with the steering column, and discover that if you are less than six feet tall you look like a grey hair, berely able to peer over the bottom of the windshield.

If you want to fit larger tires and increase ground clearance, a body lift won't do you any good. What you need to do is install front beam adjusters and reindex the rear torsions. If you want to get real wild, go with a widened beam and widened trailing arms, and the fiberglass fenders available from So Cal Imports.

Also, keep in mind that bigger tires have an impact on performance. Look at serious desert racers and check out the tire specs. They ain't running 35" swampers.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
181 Gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Hey, Bljones -- that sounds great! Reply with quote

Suspicions confirmed. Thanks for the big heads up Bljones. After having read your advice I went out and glanced around under my Thing. Currently I've got 205/75 R15s on with a fairly aggressive pattern. Nothing major at all as I do look at the serious desert racers (and dig the strength of purpose everything has on them).

Obnoxiously wide tires are not my goal. I would like to have slightly taller tires with an almost industrial (dare I say '40's civilian Dodge Power Wagon - like) pattern. Any advice? -- Or clue as to what I'm talking about? It's a very simple looking tire that I see on the front of these serious desert racers often.

As for front beam adjusters... would the adjustable front beam from The Thing Shop be a good purchase (adjustable for lift up to 45 degrees)? If so, could I reindex the rear torsions to match that height? One last question -- would all this give me a noticeable ground clearance change to add slighlty taller tires -- perhaps one stage up from what I have? Yep, I'm probably sounding like an idiot now.

Again, thanks for your patience in addressing these questions if someone chooses to do so. I've learned so much at The Samba from you guys. I'm hoping that I too can help someone down the line with credible advice!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the three links out that come up on this page. I think you might find what you're looking for...

http://www.coker.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=267
181 Gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: SiccmadeLunaticc -- great links. Reply with quote

SiccmadeLunaticc -- thanks for the excellent tire resource! That's the look I want. I'm not sure these tires are sized to fit 15' Centerlines (as I'm not familiar with their measurement specs... 700-15?) but I'll do some asking. If not, then I've got this resource to go find modern tires that may match closely. Thanks!

Now...about that reindexing and adjustable front beam. Is a 45 degree front lift with reindexed rears noticeable? I'm a novice within this area of Thingdom. I just can't see the results of the height gained in my head.

Many thanks again everyone...
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jake

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what you get by reindexing the rear and turn the center of your front beam. I turned the rear 7°20' on top of its original setting. The front I raised by JKM Adjusters (similar to the Puma Beam System but a lot beefier) http://www.jkm-tuning.com/docs/pd865794293.htm

I use 205/15 on 7x15 in the rear and 195/15 on 6x15 up front. The car rides almost 6" higher then stock. I think you could go even a little higher by tweaking the suspension a little more and notching the spring plate. This asks for a Porsche 930 CV Joint conversion. Get real good shocks all around (hard and firm in the back and soft up front). I use red Koni in the back and coil overs up front. The car handels great despite its height. Personally I like the look of cars with body lift kits. But besides more wheel travel clearance you don’t gain more ground clearance. Check out http://www.blindchickenracing.com/, they have good information on most off road suspension mods. Be aware, the more you lift the back the shorter the wheel base gets. You can see that on my picture. To compensate you have to install longer trailing arms etc. etc.

If you want to see more pictures of my Thing check http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=fathing.

A last thought, you may want to get a stronger engine. There is not much joy turning these big wheels with a original gearbox and a beat up 50 hp engine. The first and second gear are greatly improved but the 3rd and 4th gear suffer. It is nice to drive 85 mph at 4000 rpm on the highway but you need an engine which can turn 4000 rpm with this gear ratio.

Cheers Dom Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dom! Wink where was you on last cruise? Cool
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave, sorry couldn't make it. I was on vacation... shame on me, I know Embarassed . What's up? How are you my friend?? I will be going to Spa (Belgium) with my Thing Laughing . Me my Thing and a sleeping bag. I guess it will be comfortable underneith my car Rolling Eyes . Elese we will see each other at Chateau d'oex. Did' you sell your High Roof??

Cheers Dom Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vacation sounds like a good idea dom, this summer sure isn't like last year here!

hey ,take a hammock, sure to be plenty of ol' busses you can tie it to in belgium. a guy i know just went from aarberg to portugal on his 68 triumph 650. no tent, just a hammock! curious law in spain means you don't get to stay in a campsite with a hammock, you gotta have a tent. Question Question Question
no problem in portugal tho'.

yep, sold the post van for what i was asking for it. lost count of how many cashiers checks i "politely" declined for that one........ Wink

bought back my very first bay bus as well now,a 77 berlin westy. sold it 6 years ago and it hasn't been looked after.

hope to see ya at chateau d'oex then, if not before. take it easy! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: