Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breather box position?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Breather box position? Reply with quote

I'm struggling to find space to mount a small breather box on my motor. The car is a cabrio and it has all it's original sound deadening on the firewall, that I don't want to disturb. I might be able to fit the box at the top/back of the fan shroud, but I feel like it'll not help the air flow to the fan there. It doesn't leave me many options. Can I put it where it's shown in this photo?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The oil will still run downhill to the rocker covers, but is it ok to have the pipes go uphill to the top of the air filter or oil filler? Is it better to go for the filler (which would be difficult, as there's no pipe neck on it) or into the air filter? Does the pipe have to dump down into the filter top, or is it just a negative pressure thing that could go in underneath just as well?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box position? Reply with quote

maybe a bracket up above the linkage crossbar above the generator ? Should be easy enough to fabricobble something together with steel or aluminum plate.

They seem to work better the longer the hoses are to give time for oil mist to settled out, and dampen the vacuum pulses.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!

Last edited by Lingwendil on Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box position? Reply with quote

It needs to be higher than all the attached areas of the engine.
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box position? Reply with quote

Breather/filler from a power steering can. Lots of great usable parts out in the junk yard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box position? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. So low down is no good then?
I like the power steering fluid pot, that's really creative.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box position? Reply with quote

That's a good idea! Might have to try that Very Happy

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box position? Reply with quote

To follow up - to avoid mounting the box on the firewall, I managed to mount it to the back of the motor, above the oil cooler. Used a rivnut gun and a shelf bracket and had to redrill a hole and blank another off, to get the tube to come out of the back of the box and not straight into the firewall. It hides away behind the fan shroud quite well.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box position? Reply with quote

Might make it harder when inst5the engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box position? Reply with quote

Maybe, though it shouldn't be impossible to remove it if I have to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: