Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$100 split
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

the money is in pounds sterling and current exchange rates have £300 = $385, the other car is a singer hunter sm1500 which belonged to a female engineer sharing the bungalow. I didn't do the repairs to the floor, they had been done some time in the past. I sold the car after a short time as it was beyond my skill levels at the time plus the landlord wasn't happy with me messing up his garage! naturally, I wish I had kept it. last I heard it was owned by the editor of the hvwoc gb.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

finster wrote:
the money is in pounds sterling and current exchange rates have £300 = $385, the other car is a singer hunter sm1500 which belonged to a female engineer sharing the bungalow. I didn't do the repairs to the floor, they had been done some time in the past. I sold the car after a short time as it was beyond my skill levels at the time plus the landlord wasn't happy with me messing up his garage! naturally, I wish I had kept it. last I heard it was owned by the editor of the hvwoc gb.

I love Singers - as you know, the Gazelle was like the Roots Manx - Was the Hunter, kinda' like a Sunbeam Alpine, Talbot 90?

My old 11G is now in California... has gone through a couppla' owners, since I sold it in '85 - am in touch, with this owner, a Porsche mechanic, occasionally - he's making that car, nicer than new.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
… once bought this split bug for a hundred bux, in 1976-ish - had an olive green industrial 25 or 36 horse engine and a bus-like reduction gear transaxle - I was such a greenhorn then - sold the 16" wheels and cut the car up for parts - Now, I think about it all the time - what year, could it have been?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks like it's on high front suspension as well.

You may have cut up something really primordial.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
… once bought this split bug for a hundred bux, in 1976-ish - had an olive green industrial 25 or 36 horse engine and a bus-like reduction gear transaxle - I was such a greenhorn then - sold the 16" wheels and cut the car up for parts - Now, I think about it all the time - what year, could it have been?

I refer to this $100 load as a '49 - I remember it was older than my '50, at the time - but I don't remember much more - I think about it, all the time - too late now - I thoughtlessly cut it up for profit - thoughtless move.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

finster wrote:
not exactly $100 but this cost me £300 circa 1981...and I drove it home! cable brakes and floorpan holes repaired with steel plates bolted on!

VAL is still around, and as you say, is owned by Mike Johnson, who edits the Historic VW Club mag. The car is now on an oval chassis, and the orginal went to the scrap yard, after Mike had it sitting around outside for a number of years.

I was talking to him about this recently, and he is in the same situation as ZenVWDriver, asking himself why it was that he allowed the original chassis to be junked. I've offered to buy it from him, and put the body on the spare, complete 47 rolling chassis I have, but he's not ready to sell just yet he says!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
The car is now on an oval chassis, and the orginal went to the scrap yard, after Mike had it sitting around outside for a number of years.

Shocked

zen I think you mean minx, and the sm1500 was no talbot 90! here are some quotes about it:-
a column change which made it difficult or impossible to select second and reverse."Many an exasperated driver rammed his knuckles into the mock-wood-painted metal dashboard in the attempt".
The body was styled by Leo Shorter, Singer's chief engineer since 1937. He had been inspired by Howard Darrin's 1946 Kaiser-Frazer. Shorter lacked Darrin's flair and "produced one of the ugliest saloons of its period".
It appears in the film Fire Maidens from Outer Space by Cy Roth, sometimes called the worst film ever made. Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

… yes, I meant Minx - thanks. Googled the Singer and it was not even similar to an Alpine of the mid 50s … more like an MG Magnette or Mayflower - check my gallery - put a picture in yesterday, from the late 70s - of our 1950 11G, '62 mk. 2 Sprite, N600 Honda and the body of the red $100 bug
Sure am happy to have my 1950 11A back again - realize, I am luckier than most, for I have more than fond memories...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

I refer to this $100 load as a '49 - I remember it was older than my '50, at the time - but I don't remember much more - I think about it, all the time - too late now - I thoughtlessly cut it up for profit - thoughtless move.

High chassis could indicate a '46 Type 51 (Beetle body with Kubelwagen running gear), or even a split body on a Kubel chassis.

Like I said, primordial.

Heinz Nordhoff
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

Blue Baron. Almost feel like I should lay this unrest, to rest - have thought, for the past 40 years that in my haste and greed for a little extra green, I may have made a huge mistake by not giving this vehicle, any consideration for it's potential historical-value... don't have very many regrets, in this life, thankfully - other than one's like this... I fear, your assessment may be right-on, as I have thought, the same, myself.
Thank you so much for taking the time...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

There are probably people on death row saying, Damn, I did some bad things but at least I didn't do that...

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

Well …

Think of the bright side.

It makes what's left that much rarer.

Heinz Nordhoff
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
There are probably people on death row saying, Damn, I did some bad things but at least I didn't do that...

Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

and my old '56 - A $100 oval - running and driving in 1976 - those were the days, when I bought a "winter car" to save my split from the harsh NJ winter road elements - then sell it in the spring for $300...

… here's the proud, new $300 owner... the following spring…

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

If you've been in this hobby 20-30 years, let alone some of you for 50.... Ya got some shit in your closet. Wink Rolling Eyes

Purple paint cal-lookin, IRS on swing axle stuff is in your permanent record fo-show. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russ c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

Oh they got plenty of shit don’t worry about that🦊
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
If you've been in this hobby 20-30 years, let alone some of you for 50.... Ya got some shit in your closet. Wink Rolling Eyes

Purple paint cal-lookin, IRS on swing axle stuff is in your permanent record fo-show. Laughing

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
finster wrote:
not exactly $100 but this cost me £300 circa 1981...and I drove it home! cable brakes and floorpan holes repaired with steel plates bolted on!

… i'm ignorant as to that currency-symbol is - what does that =, in terms of US dollars - can you calculate?
What is that other beast, in the garage?
I like your amature-sounding repairs... bolted-on as compared to welded-on patches -
- Do you still have, that split?

The funny "L" shaped symbol is British Pounds.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
I've posted this in the past but this was my $85 split in 1966:

What a steal and I love the photo! That deluxe color looks so good.
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

Is it known whether the car is still around or not? I seem to remember it being said that the girl in the picture was his girlfriend at the time.
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: $100 split Reply with quote

Haven’t been in the split forums in years and saw this thread and wanted to add to it my $100 early 1949 split I owned for awhile. It now belongs to Roy kohrogi and I’m glad it went to them because he and his brother Acey did it right I would of just Slammed the crap out of it and ride it hard till she fell apart

Pic as sold

Pic after it was painted

53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: