Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyBlueVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

Hi all, in the midst of planning a trip to AZ for my 4th-grade son who was born in AZ and has always wanted to check it out(The grand canyon specifically). I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for stops or spots to check out enroute.

So far the plan was to head to SE Oregon down through Nevada, into SW Utah and then AZ. Planning on boondocking/camping if at all possible. After Oregon, I'm out of ideas for spots. Taking the Syncro Westy.

The trip is at the end of March for spring break

Last edited by DirtyBlueVan on Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

Personally, I'd skip Nevada all together. Route 395 down past the eastern sierras is got a lot of scenery. Tons of places to pull off and camp.

I would make a loop out of it from Klamath Falls, down 395 to Barstow. Over HWY 40 to the Canyon. Back through Salt Lake City and 84 back to Oregon.

It's a lot of ground to cover. How much time are you taking?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Personally, I'd skip Nevada all together.

I'm not going to argue with that, but one place I'd suggest is Massacre Rim Wilderness Area in NW Nevada. Designated last year as the 7th dark sky sanctuary. It's all BLM land so camping would be easy. I haven't been but hope to check it out sometime this year.

The 395 route south is a great suggestion. On the way down you're not far from Lassen NP, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Inyo National Forest (Ancient bristlecone pines), Kings Canyon, Death Valley, etc etc.

Definitely loop back up and into Southern Idaho. It's really beautiful up there.

One thing I'd avoid is 80 East out of Salt Lake City into Nevada. Into a headwind or crosswind is a killer and it's a pretty boring drive regardless.
DirtyBlueVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Personally, I'd skip Nevada all together. Route 395 down past the eastern sierras is got a lot of scenery. Tons of places to pull off and camp.

I would make a loop out of it from Klamath Falls, down 395 to Barstow. Over HWY 40 to the Canyon. Back through Salt Lake City and 84 back to Oregon.

It's a lot of ground to cover. How much time are you taking?

up to 8 days. I'll have to check out that route, thanks! I forgot to add that the trip is at the end of March for spring break. I was thinking I would avoid snow a little better going through Nevada. What do you think?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

If you're doing 395, Alabama Hills a couple of miles west of Lone Pine is a great BLM spot. Amazing rock formations - but don't hit it at the weekend, there'll be no spaces left after lunchtime Saturday. Loads of Westerns were shot there back in the day. Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Hills

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Toured some of that region last fall:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9218404

We especially enjoyed SW Utah: Goblin Valley SP, Capitol Reef, Escalante, Bryce Canyon, Glen Canyon, Zion, Vermilion Cliffs to the North Rim. We only had a week there, but would happily go back for a month or more.

So much dramatic scenery and so many back roads to explore ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

Having driven 95 north out of Las Vegas to Fallon, then west through Fernley to get to Reno .. I'd skip it and stick to 395 unless you really, REALLY want to see the Clown Motel in Tonopah.
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

Sounds like an awesome trip! Post a trip report along the way!
2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

Sedona is an amazing place to explore and a couple of hours from Grand Canyon. If you take 89A north from Sedona, Slide Rock State Park is absolutely worth a stop and yes, you need to do the natural waterslide and yes, you and your kid will bond for life over the memory. At Flagstaff, take 89 north and take in Sunset Crater Volcano NP and then Wupatki National Monument before heading west on 64 towards the GC South Rim and if you have never been to GC, prepare to have your mind blown - pictures, videos, nothing else gives you the perspective of standing on the various ledges looking a mile down to the Colorado River. I have done this trip a couple times in a rental car and its currently on my Westy trip-list for 2021...... Enjoy!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

Beautiful & memorable spot in NW AZ, but spendy, run a bit like a cattle drive and often
fully booked unless you're there first thing in the morning &/or reserved ahead of time:

https://www.visitarizona.com/uniquely-az/parks-and-monuments/antelope-canyon

Link

Another (...some say better?) option:

Link

You'll also be right on top of Zion &/or Bryce Canyon NP's - also worth a stop! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

Oregon > Southern Idaho > down Utah to Bryce/Zion/Pink Sand Dunes/Kanab > Lake Powell/Page > Cameron > East Rim Drive to South Rim of Grand Canyon > Williams/Bearizona tour > Ash Fork to Kingman via Route 66 > Las Vegas to Death Valley (watch out for idiot tourists who don't know what "stop" means crossing 93 at the Skywalk intersection) > 395 East Sierras > home

That's the route I'd take.😊
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

Tonopah, Mining Museum and Graveyard
Austin, old mountainside town
Eli, mining town and steam railroad
Belmont, ghost town that was once county seat
Middlegate Tavern, cool spot with interesting history.
Fallon nuclear test site, not much to see really but one of a kind
Goldfield, near ghost town that still shows its riches
Valley of Fire, look it up
Indian Pass, drive back to 1900
Rhyolite, large ghost town
Sheldon Wildlife Refuge
Dixie Earthquake Fault, if you like geology
Great Basin National Park
Red Rock Park

I always find plenty to do in Nevada
DirtyBlueVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon to Arizona Trip ideas Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone these are awesome suggestions. Seriously swapping up the trip.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: